Whats your most difficult shooting skill to master?

An unsteady wind is the worst, especially with a smallbore rimfire at 100 yds. when you make your adjustment and the wind lays or worse yet changes direction. I was shooting in a high-power National Match course match and was on the 600 yd line, the flags at the 600 yd. 300 yd. 200 yd. and at the target butts were all standing straight out in 4 different directions, I was shooting a M-1 Garand, I just held my 6 o'clock hold with no windage adjustment and hoped for the best as I was pretty green at the time, this was several years ago.

Mine is shooting off hand. like the Jerry Lee Lewis song "Whole Lotta Shakin goining on"

^ This . . .

The only rifle I can shoot offhand with any stability are two pellet guns, a Gamo and a Ruger.
Oddly enough, both are on the heavy side but both have a nice balance to them.

Most any other rifle, if I am shooting off hand at close range, I would be better off with a bow or a pistol for accuracy.

M4 carbines aren't terrible for me offhand, but not as good as you'd think, even with a sling ... better with a red dot than a 3 x 9scope.

In general, I need to follow John Wayne's advice to baby sister in True Grit. "Find a fence post to lean it on, and it will do the job."

^ This . . .

The only rifle I can shoot offhand with any stability are two pellet guns, a Gamo and a Ruger.
Oddly enough, both are on the heavy side but both have a nice balance to them.

Most any other rifle, if I am shooting off hand at close range, I would be better off with a bow or a pistol for accuracy.

M4 carbines aren't terrible for me offhand, but not as good as you'd think, even with a sling ... better with a red dot than a 3 x 9scope.

In general, I need to follow John Wayne's advice to baby sister in True Grit. "Find a fence post to lean it on, and it will do the job."
The Duke knows best.

What is the hardest thing for you to master when shooting?

Is it:
Reading wind
Cheek weld/position
Breath control
Trigger control
Sight picture
Or something else?

Let us know what is the bane of your shooting sucess. (Remember, misery loves company 😉).
Trigger Control when I'm hunting anymore. I neck shoot my deer. Missed 2 nice Bucks last year under 100 yards 80 to be exact.

Recent Posts