Whats your most difficult shooting skill to master?

What's the distance on your shots? I had a pair of artillery binos but someone stole them. Great glass.
The distance will vary based upon the location chosen to hunt,
which is always done by glassing.
There will be locations where there could be several hillsides to glass from the same location.
Sometimes there might be distances from a few hundred yards out to a thousand or more yards from the same location.
There are also places where the closest distance could be 1000 yards and go out from there to several thousand yards.
The choice of distances are usually determined by conditions on a given day.
We might pull in to a very good place and find the wind conditions to be bad. And for that reason we might leave for a different place.
There are also places where the terrain available for glassing is almost endless.
But you could also lay on the road leading to those places with no fear of being run over by a vehicle for the entire season.
So much for expert shooters with excellent wind calling ability. lol

What is the hardest thing for you to master when shooting?

Is it:
Reading wind
Cheek weld/position
Breath control
Trigger control
Sight picture
Or something else?

Let us know what is the bane of your shooting sucess. (Remember, misery loves company 😉).
Used to be distance determination without a range finder or ranging reticle, then bought a range finder, reading wind until got wind meter or kestrel. Now as others have stated age related injuries and illness, after effects of Covid, For example, old injuries to knees, hips, shoulder and neck, back, ankles, etc. age humbles us all.

Depends, off-hand, standing on bullseye targets at 200 has been a real challenge, depressed scores kept me from making master on NRA hi-power. Adventures into .22LR silhouette shooting helped despite pathetically low scores, 77-yard meter turkeys escaped many bullets - good triggers needed. Now it is variable winds, strength & direction shooting at distant small targets subject to moving at any time. Waiting for the target to lay flat & aiming at edge of up-wind edge helps. Shooting long & pointy bullets at high speed is helpful but blast & recoil defeats nice ballistic stuff.

I can kneel real good but the problem is getting up.

Last edited:
Quirks of a particular rifle or scope, being used. Had got a slow moving shot on a nice Elk, have a good sight picture, pullN on the trigger, but forgot to take off that flat safety on the ol Savage, Elk disappeared, back to the dark timber.

Depends, off-hand, standing on bullseye targets at 200 has been a real challenge, depressed scores kept me from making master on NRA hi-power. Adventures into .22LR silhouette shooting helped despite pathetically low scores, 77-yard turkeys escaped many bullets - good triggers needed. Now it is variable winds, strength & direction shooting at distant small targets subject to moving at any time. Waiting for the target to lay flat & aiming at edge of up-wind edge helps. Shooting long & pointy bullets at high speed is helpful but blast & recoil defeats nice ballistic stuff.

I can kneel real good but the problem is getting up.

You folks discuss standing, offhand shooting. I've done zero competition and only a few shots taken, other than at game.

So, I have a 16" gong at about 310 yards from my bench…..using my hunting rifle, standing, shooting offhand…. how many hits out of 10 shots should I expect to hit. Not how many times I want to hit….but what would be considered a decent amount of hits with a 9 pound hunting rifle? memtb

Besides offhand, sitting cross legged and with a sling was my favorite position until the last few years, a innertube around my mid section prohibits my shooting. Aside from competition, sitting is a good alternative in hunting situations when a rest is not available but one needs to practice.

You folks discuss standing, offhand shooting. I've done zero competition and only a few shots taken, other than at game.

So, I have a 16" gong at about 310 yards from my bench…..using my hunting rifle, standing, shooting offhand…. how many hits out of 10 shots should I expect to hit. Not how many times I want to hit….but what would be considered a decent amount of hits with a 9 pound hunting rifle? memtb
If the crosswind is light, with a good scope, Stoney Point Polecats, probably 8 outta 10.

Besides offhand, sitting cross legged and with a sling was my favorite position until the last few years, a innertube around my mid section prohibits my shooting. Aside from competition, sitting is a good alternative in hunting situations when a rest is not available but one needs to practice.
Innertube, that's a good one! Very polite.

My best hunting position without using any type of rest was sitting and using my knee.

My best hunting position without using any type of rest was sitting and using my knee.

I try really hard to "never" be without my shooting sticks….which helps me shoot without being a gymnast! 😉

So, how many times should I expect to hit that gong…..just so I know how bad I really am? 😉 memtb

If the crosswind is light, with a good scope, Stoney Point Polecats, probably 8 outta 10.

With my shooting sticks….. I'd be real disappointed if I could go 10 for 10 from a seated position!

But, there's lots of talk about standing, offhand…..so what should an average, non-competition shooter expect! memtb

With my shooting sticks….. I'd be real disappointed if I could go 10 for 10 from a seated position!

But, there's lots of talk about standing, offhand…..so what should an average, non-competition shooter expect! memtb

Standing off hand, 300+ yards, probably use the Polecats, not sure why a guy wouldn't. Almost always a better day afterwards.