Whats your most difficult shooting skill to master?

Standing off hand, 300+ yards, probably use the Polecats, not sure why a guy wouldn't. Almost always a better day afterwards.

Don't have any Polecats! Too big, heavy, impractical for my type of hunting!

I would "NEVER" consider taking that shot on game without a good rest.

All the previous conversation about standing, offhand competition just got me to wondering what I should expect…..it's not important! memtb

What is the hardest thing for you to master when shooting?

Is it:
Reading wind
Cheek weld/position
Breath control
Trigger control
Sight picture
Or something else?

Let us know what is the bane of your shooting sucess. (Remember, misery loves company 😉).
Ive pretty much got it all down pretty good. except my WIND Reading. Im working on that.Ive read and looked at about all I can so far.Its just getting behind my gun and get more time looking at the wind and shooting.Ive taken classes and watched videos and Online virtuals with Emil Praslick.I just need more shooting in the wind.There is only so much boioks and videos and people can tell you.The rest is up to me.

I try really hard to "never" be without my shooting sticks….which helps me shoot without being a gymnast! 😉

So, how many times should I expect to hit that gong…..just so I know how bad I really am? 😉 memtb
Under good conditions, 7-10. Or better. Of course, anything less than 10 would not be ok.😁🫢🤪
Yeah, right! In my dreams.......

Under good conditions, 7-10. Or better. Of course, anything less than 10 would not be ok.😁🫢🤪
Yeah, right! In my dreams.......

You guys need to watch the results of this match tomorrow. It is shot at 300 yards, including standing. 3 inch X ring, 7 inch 10 ring, 13 inch 9, and 18 inch 8 ring. These scoring rings comprise the black

Screenshot_20230729_182630_Chrome.jpg

I took the high senior (60-69 yo) in 2012. Won $500 and a SAI 1911. I asked them to engrave the match name and my name on it. Still unfired, leaving it for my grandson, my namesake.

20230719_125002.jpg
20230719_124957.jpg
20230719_125018.jpg

I don't recall any longer whether I was 7th, 8th, or 9th overall

Last edited:
You guys need to watch the results of this match tomorrow. It is shot at 300 yards, including standing. 3 inch X ring, 7 inch 10 ring, 9 inch 9, and 18 inch 8 ring. These scoring rings comprise the black

View attachment 481835

I took the high senior (60-69 yo) in 2012. Won $500 and a SAI 1911. I asked them to engrave the match name and my name on it. Still unfired, leaving it for my grandson, my namesake.

View attachment 481839View attachment 481840View attachment 481841
I'm not able to be as good as I could anymore. I can't get to the range as much as I would want to. I'm lucky to get there once every 2-3 months. Very nice prize you got there! Nicely done. Congratulations!

Don't have any Polecats! Too big, heavy, impractical for my type of hunting!

I would "NEVER" consider taking that shot on game without a good rest.

All the previous conversation about standing, offhand competition just got me to wondering what I should expect…..it's not important! memtb
Polecats, they do retract, 1lb 4oz, not too heavy, very helpful, on most any sitting or standing long shot. Think the guy in New Ulm,MN quit making them about 10 years ago, stuff that works.

I'd be pretty happy with 5 of 10! I'll never be very good I guess….to easily satisfied! memtb
But I'll bet it's not for the lack of trying. Remember this, "practice does not make perfect, but it does tend to improve". As long as your satisfied, it's all good!

But I'll bet it's not for the lack of trying. Remember this, "practice does not make perfect, but it does tend to improve". As long as your satisfied, it's all good!

That gong looks pretty small ….when compared to the pattern the crosshair is making! Maybe that's the reason it's called crosshairs….periodically it "crosses" the target! 🤔 memtb

Well hold on there Bub, im now 88, lol
And i thank the lord that im still able to move about, and still shoot.
Life is much to do with the choices we make.
And long range hunting is an example of that.
Certainly there are many who feel that hiking about, maybe glassing as you go, is the ideal and possibly the best method for doing that.
But there are places where using that method isnt even very possible.
And one of those places is one where serious long range hunting has been taking place at least since the end of WW2,
is PA.
When long range hunting there, you (will) find a location offering a good vantage point, and there you will set up shop an remain, possibly for the entire day.
Of coarse should you become bored of all that, you can always take your gun for a walk in the woods.
So that being the case, different types of equipment can be utilized. By way of the size and weight of the guns, the method of shooting, and most importantly, the type and size of the optics used for glassing.
For example, i can count at least 10 friends who use twin 80 mm Swarovski spotters in adjustable brackets.
Every body else i know are using other brands of twin spotters in brackets.
As for the rangefinders, excellant quality ones were in use for infantry troops in WW1, and of coarse WW2 as well.
And do you know who else had them also? lol
Have you ever sat behind a very large set of military binoculars on a good tripod?
Something like 20 power with 120 mm objective lenses ?
Well 50 years ago, lots of guys in places like PA were using them for finding deer on steep hillsides across wide valleys from where they were set up for the day.
And some very old men are still able to hike the short distances from a vehicle to where all that is taking place.
Again, its all about choices.
Talk about words to live by

Well hold on there Bub, im now 88, lol
And i thank the lord that im still able to move about, and still shoot.
Life is much to do with the choices we make.
And long range hunting is an example of that.
Certainly there are many who feel that hiking about, maybe glassing as you go, is the ideal and possibly the best method for doing that.
But there are places where using that method isnt even very possible.
And one of those places is one where serious long range hunting has been taking place at least since the end of WW2,
is PA.
When long range hunting there, you (will) find a location offering a good vantage point, and there you will set up shop an remain, possibly for the entire day.
Of coarse should you become bored of all that, you can always take your gun for a walk in the woods.
So that being the case, different types of equipment can be utilized. By way of the size and weight of the guns, the method of shooting, and most importantly, the type and size of the optics used for glassing.
For example, i can count at least 10 friends who use twin 80 mm Swarovski spotters in adjustable brackets.
Every body else i know are using other brands of twin spotters in brackets.
As for the rangefinders, excellant quality ones were in use for infantry troops in WW1, and of coarse WW2 as well.
And do you know who else had them also? lol
Have you ever sat behind a very large set of military binoculars on a good tripod?
Something like 20 power with 120 mm objective lenses ?
Well 50 years ago, lots of guys in places like PA were using them for finding deer on steep hillsides across wide valleys from where they were set up for the day.
And some very old men are still able to hike the short distances from a vehicle to where all that is taking place.
Again, its all about choices.
Yobuck: I am old to enough to remember when Field & Stream and Outdoor Life mentioned the famous long range Pennsylvania deer hunters. But that was a select crowd, that either surveyed the range or used a Barr & Stroud rangefinder, which to many, including me, was not practical. But as you say, to each his own.

Yobuck: I am old to enough to remember when Field & Stream and Outdoor Life mentioned the famous long range Pennsylvania deer hunters. But that was a select crowd, that either surveyed the range or used a Barr & Stroud rangefinder, which to many, including me, was not practical. But as you say, to each his own.
Yes i remember that article.
I later got to know one of the people in that article, the one referred to as Joe, he was from Sunbury PA.
I bought a Bausch& Lomb 6x24 Balvar scope from him for $400 with the Kuharsky rear mount.
Actually there was a bit of crazy stuff going on at that time.
Duplexing powder being one of them.
And there were some people who got hurt doing some of those things.
Joe had a 6.5x300 Wetherby, and that was the cartridge used in that article.
After his buddy Alex Hoyer died in 1970, he wanted Howard Wolfe to build him a 6.5x378 Wetherby on one of Howards big actions.
But Howard being the cautious person he was refused.
Later he agreed to build him a shortened case version 378 necked down to 7mm.
A shortened 378 case is identicle in size and capacity to the 300 Norma case.
So in fact Howards short version 30x378 was/is a 300 Norma, created many years before the 300 Norma.
His son Bob still has the dies for making the brass from 378 cases.