Test your skills!Try this

I would say this is exactly how most of us practice but generally at ranges from 800 to 1000 yards or even much more. And not on paper but on field targets of opportunity. 100 yard groups and shot placement is really only for initial load developement and zeroing your rifle, the sooner you can get off 100 yards paper groups and onto practical field practice the better.

Just my opinion.

For the tactical sniper, I could see use for this test but not really all that useful for the long range hunter.

I would say this is exactly how most of us practice but generally at ranges from 800 to 1000 yards or even much more. And not on paper but on field targets of opportunity. 100 yard groups and shot placement is really only for initial load developement and zeroing your rifle, the sooner you can get off 100 yards paper groups and onto practical field practice the better.

Just my opinion.

For the tactical sniper, I could see use for this test but not really all that useful for the long range hunter.
I completely agree with you,there is nothing better for long range shooting,than long range practice.I was just surprised how much harder it was,compared to how easy it looked.I think it is great for guy's who don't have access to local long range targets,if all you have is 100 yds or so to work with,I think it is better than just sitting on a bench and shooting groups.This way you have to reposition for each shot,and find the "Natural point of Aim",and get those kinds of things to become habit.I think this will give you a better MOA accuracy of where you stand vs. shooting a 3 shot group and thinking you have 1/4 MOA accuracy.This also gets the shooter more comfotable shooting in the prone position,with a bipod and rear bags,you just can't get that from shooting off a bench.I am lucky to have 800yds. in my back yard to practice with,but I still find this helpful to see where I am at with shooting technique and load.Even though I have access to shoot long range,it can become a hassle somtimes retrieving targets,because I have to drive around the farmers fields and through the woods to get to them,but I can't complain,I feel fortunate just to have that.

Last edited:
I believe in both group shooting and single bullet paractice.

For me, the purpose of groups is how consistency is measured and NOT accuracy.

Accuracy is measured by how consistency one can hit a kill zone or more appropriately, the center of the kill zone with one bullet versus a group of bullets AND with one shot.

Group shooting is still a very good way to get to know your rifle well AND confirm it's consistency and your personal consistency. This helps reinforce a shooter's confidence.

In short, each method has their place and purpose.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.