Whats your most difficult shooting skill to master?

I shoot offhand every day at a target 86 yards away (for some reason, I thought it was 100 but measured it the other day). Offhand is something you get better at the more you practice, like most things.

For long range shooting, I can't believe anyone would say anything other than the wind. Sure, you can practice, but if your practice is on a range with wind flags, you are cheating. And if you practice in one spot all the time, you get to know the prevailing conditions. If you never practice in the mountains, for example, you are in for a rude awakening.

I shoot offhand every day at a target 86 yards away (for some reason, I thought it was 100 but measured it the other day). Offhand is something you get better at the more you practice, like most things.

For long range shooting, I can't believe anyone would say anything other than the wind. Sure, you can practice, but if your practice is on a range with wind flags, you are cheating. And if you practice in one spot all the time, you get to know the prevailing conditions. If you never practice in the mountains, for example, you are in for a rude awakening.
So if i would bet you $100 that you couldnt hit a 5 gallon bucket 5 shots in a row offhand at 86 yards would you take the bet?

Dont be a fool, for sure you would miss the last one. lol

As for wind calls in mountainous terrain, you are exactly correct.
There can be wind from multable directions happening at the same time.
And if there is a large stream in the valley, there could be strong thermals as well.
Other wise, how do those large heavy birds stay aloft without flapping their wings?
But there is one remedy that always works pretty well.
Its called a sighter shot.
First round misses work o k as well.

That score card should be framed! That is absolutely stellar shooting. The AMU will be after her, if they haven't made their play already.

Thank you for acknowledging her stellar accomplishment.

It was late May when I reached out to Frank Green of Bartlein looking for a barrel. He happened to have a rifled, unturned blank. When he found out the situation that it is for a junior, he donated it. If any of you guys ever talk to Frank, make sure you acknowledge his support for the game.

I finished the barrel/upper the 2nd week of June. When she came to pick the upper, she was in a fix, as she didn't have a dedicated scope for it. I took off my March 1-4.5X service rifle scope and mounted it on her upper.

Before heading out to Perry, she only had time to zero the scope and practiced once at short range. She didn't have match zeroes for across the course, 200, 300, 600.

She basically established her course zeroes during the match. 1st match, due to some confusion she only has credit for one string at 300 rapid prone. 2nd match she posted 791/800. Then, the 3rd match is historic.

Last edited:
So if i would bet you $100 that you couldnt hit a 5 gallon bucket 5 shots in a row offhand at 86 yards would you take the bet?

And if there is a large stream in the valley, there could be strong thermals as well.
Other wise, how do those large heavy birds stay aloft without flapping their wings?

If you pay the $100, plus cost of ammo…..I want a piece of that action! 😂 memtb

Wind is a tough one for me, mainly because I am just getting into shooting at distances where wind makes a difference. Half a lifetime of archery hunting and woods hunting East of the MS river didn't do much for improving my long-range hunting skills.

The other thing I struggle with, and probably will never overcome is shooting with both eyes open. I am a right handed shooter and extremely left eye dominant. Even with a scope my left eye will take over my visual input making it virtually impossible for me to get a good sight picture. I am at the point where I am teaching myself to shoot left handed with shotguns because it has gotten so bad.

I would absolutely take that bet.

The other thing I struggle with, and probably will never overcome is shooting with both eyes open. I am a right handed shooter and extremely left eye dominant. Even with a scope my left eye will take over my visual input making it virtually impossible for me to get a good sight picture. I am at the point where I am teaching myself to shoot left handed with shotguns because it has gotten so bad.
At the height of the last war when I was helping the AMU at Ft. Benning in the Squad Designated Marksman training, the candidates like in your situation were trained in their dominant eye. They end up shooting better

I would absolutely take that bet.
I just changed my offhand target yesterday- here is the back of it - (front has too many holes covered). My hand gives a size reference. There are 44 shots; I believe all would have hit a 5 gallon bucket. There are a few .223 Remington and .338 Win Mag shots, but mostly .30-06 180 grain loads. And I didn't shoot "standing" like you do in competition, I shot "offhand" as if I was hunting.

Attachments

• D5A088DF-AB4C-49FD-A4F3-EA009A7C1599.jpeg
    D5A088DF-AB4C-49FD-A4F3-EA009A7C1599.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
Last edited: