What is THE Ultimate 30cal Cartridge for ELR/Reloading?

have a few favorites : 30-378 WBY , custom 7 MM REM MAG AI , custom 280 Rem AI , What one wants to do , would decide for final pick , 338 Lapua , 6mm-06 AI, 25-06 AI , 6.5 CM , now 6 MM XC II -- always something new !!!!!! or the next TOY !!!!!

Oh for crying out loud man we get it, and agree with you; you make some really cool stuff and we wanna see! Dangle a carrot in front of us peasants would ya? 🤣
Bahahaha !

I was just messin 'round mang ! (pun intended)
My sense of humor gets me in hot water often, made a new creedmeme but can't post it here .... got it posted on my FB though, ha !

gotta sync new phone on the puter to get the pics on, don't use the puter thing much anymore but I'll get around to it

14CC448A-9F9D-46B3-A87B-B75EE273400B.jpeg

No hot water here…my inability to take most things on the internet seriously also get me into very occasional trouble…increasingly I find I'm living in a world where it's not enough that I'm not offensive…if I'm not equally as offended as the permanently offended crowd, my lack of being offended is deemed offensive!!!! 🤪. Increasingly realizing there's just no pleasing some people and angering them can prove more entertaining. Very mature of me I know.

Here's a new pic .. minted fresh with the iphone

I've spent a lot of time with these and all three have their uses but I still don't think the Warbird is really ELR capable for 1 mile and beyond.... so if the 7.82 Warbird is bare minimum all the rest just got scrapped ! for sure it can tink the sink at 1 mile but we're looking to 2000 fps & 1800 ft lbs of energy to expand the bullet and kill the critter FAST

resurrecting my ol Warbird with a 7.5 tw 30" bbl this time, still got a thing for it !

the Sako TRGS factory 26" 12 tw was only good for 200 gr Accubonds and less, wouldn't shoot the Berger 230's worth a dang, but still was an awesome moose n bear killer with 180 gr Accubonds & A-Frames at 3500 fps and 200's at 3300

With the 30" long 7.5 twist bbl I'll be able to shoot any 30 cal bullet currently available faster, should be awesome with the 230 Sierras & Bergers for steel and Badlands 205 SBD-2's for game at least out to 1300 yards with 1800 ft lbs of energy but that ain't even close to ELR, 460 yards short ...

So that's kinda what I've been trying to say all along ...... got guys mentioning 30 cal cartridges that barely muster enough killing energy at 6-700 yards

c'mon man !

look at the stats with the Warbird and the 205 gr SBD-2, none of the others mentioned come close to that other than the bigger 138 gr h20 capacity Raptor & XC cartridges

ELR is not the place for 30 caliber .... Just being realistic

*** not sure what happened, pics didn't load ? trying again ...

5A68381D-45AA-460F-9945-15AEC4EAA509.jpeg

52174532-B3D9-4360-B60A-E5F6BFB5CB34.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok, since this has now gotten out of hand; my new pick is a neck-down .50 BAT to .30-50 BAT aka M48A1 in its original .50 cal configuration. I actually had planned on one of these in .375-50 BAT way back in the day. It's the M40 106mm Recoilless rifle, M8 spotter gun round. I had one of McMillian signal shot actions at the time that would have worked just great... things we should have done, oh well. the parent case "50 BAT" would be the top one, the center is a .50 BMG the bottom is a gift from McMillian, their take on beefing up a .50 cal in their rifle prototype project the .50-20MM.

20210122_084829.jpg

.50 Fat Mac

The 50 Fat Mac was developed in 1996 by Gale McMillan from a 20mm Vulcan cannon case. Their primary goal was to create a modern (short/fat) case like those now used in bench rest competitive events, but designed to launch .50-caliber match bullets for use in 1,000-yard (or longer-range) Fifty Caliber Shooters Association (FCSA) matches. The primer pocket has been modified to accept a steel insert and this bushing insert sizes the primer pocket to accept a .50 BMG primer and doubles as a flash tube. The latter carries the primer blast to near the front of the powder charge, which provides significant internal ballistic benefits, including improved shot-to-shot uniformity and increased muzzle velocity. Whereas the 50 BMG Improved can launch a match bullet to 3,000 feet per second, the Fat Mac will propel the same bullet in excess of 3,400 fps. The experiment however never yielded the results that Gale McMillan had hoped for and it was eventually abandoned.​

1644274842932.png
1644274858875.png

.50 Fat Mac

The 50 Fat Mac was developed in 1996 by Gale McMillan from a 20mm Vulcan cannon case. Their primary goal was to create a modern (short/fat) case like those now used in bench rest competitive events, but designed to launch .50-caliber match bullets for use in 1,000-yard (or longer-range) Fifty Caliber Shooters Association (FCSA) matches. The primer pocket has been modified to accept a steel insert and this bushing insert sizes the primer pocket to accept a .50 BMG primer and doubles as a flash tube. The latter carries the primer blast to near the front of the powder charge, which provides significant internal ballistic benefits, including improved shot-to-shot uniformity and increased muzzle velocity. Whereas the 50 BMG Improved can launch a match bullet to 3,000 feet per second, the Fat Mac will propel the same bullet in excess of 3,400 fps. The experiment however never yielded the results that Gale McMillan had hoped for and it was eventually abandoned.​

View attachment 339120View attachment 339121
Yep, that's what part of the story is.