What is THE Ultimate 30cal Cartridge for ELR/Reloading?

If you mean the 100/200 yard BR with all the flags, yes that exactly but at 1k and no flags. Group sizes should deteriorate appropriately. Then add back the laser wind magic and group sizes shrink. Lowest benefit from the laser wins. It's self-weighting and dependent on shooter skill on both ends. Push laser wind magic tech forward, being required to use and not use the tool is the arbitrary rule there.

I don't feel bad about the joking around, this thread was one step away from a joke when it started. After about 4 pages every serious contender other than one-off wildcats was named and it was all the way to being a joke. It was just some harmless mental master debating over how best to beat a squared peg into a round hole. Seeing all the crazy wildcats is fun, and and nit picking over long and thin vs short and fat doesn't ever get to a final correct answer.

ELR is an arbitrary distinction. 30 cal might rule the roost in long range but not here. Arbitrary definitions are what keeps things sane, because how else do you push innovation at the margins while not running rough shod over more developed disciplines?

Right now IMO the most rapid innovation is happening in ELR because of so many novel challenges to overcome, but good old benchresting is still grinding away and tweaking details to perfection. They both have reason and purpose, the concepts and theories translate, but each is proving out something different.

I don't think it's a coincidence that we saw a 1000 yard 100-10x 2.680" world record and the first 2 mile hits at Kof2M in the same year. Arbitrary distinctions leading to specialization of disciplines is how we got here. They're each moving ahead still; benchrest is slower and more incremental and moves in fractions of an inch, ELR is faster and makes jumps like zero hits to three in a row in one year, with groups still measured in feet.

I don't know what exactly we'd learn with a subsonic-only benchrest or long range competition, but it would probably be cool 😂 I'd be in, we can call it the 1st LRH Subsonic Championship, shot at the Whittington Center 1000 yard range. I've been needing an excuse to make that drive.

And just you wait and see, in a few years and there will have to be "no laser wind finder" rules added to some competitions. "Laser wind finder" sounds stupider than anything from Star Trek and just a few years ago it was, yet now it exists. We might even see a match where everyone shoots a NASCAR-style rifle of a specified caliber with a max velocity to isolate wind reading skills come from it, allow and don't allow the laser over two courses of fire to see the differences in pure shooter skill, lowest spread wins.
Well said

Swamp maybe I missed it but what wildcat do you have in your arsenal of cartridges that you would consider to be the ultimate 30 caliber? Maybe you could share the specs of your top three?
I don't consider any 30 caliber cartridge in existence suitable for ELR

I don't subscribe to the feminized version of ELR

That would be my 300 Raptor with 245's doing 3400FPS
Hello mr Texas! So you have a .300 Raptor…I assume this is one and the same as Kirby Allen's raptor. Is there much of any real world difference between this and the .30xc wildcat? I know full well Kirby's creation was around way before the xc was a thing, but they're essentially the same thing aren't they? Along with the so called ".300 High country magnum"?

Oh for crying out loud man we get it, and agree with you; you make some really cool stuff and we wanna see! Dangle a carrot in front of us peasants would ya? 🤣

Keep it up, He will make us wait longer than Bruce going through the changeover. Just be still or he may embarrass us all.
He has some Knarly cartridges, for sure

Oh for crying out loud man we get it, and agree with you; you make some really cool stuff and we wanna see! Dangle a carrot in front of us peasants would ya? 🤣
Yep!

Useless without pictures1.jpg

Hello mr Texas! So you have a .300 Raptor…I assume this is one and the same as Kirby Allen's raptor. Is there much of any real world difference between this and the .30xc wildcat? I know full well Kirby's creation was around way before the xc was a thing, but they're essentially the same thing aren't they? Along with the so called ".300 High country magnum"?

Yeah it's Kirby's

The shoulder is a touch more forward and different angle to the XC

The HCM well we saw how that thread went on it I believe.

Kirby has his thoughts on it but I'm not going to share them.

That and I never understood building a light super mag chambered rifle.

So mine has a 34" barrel. It didn't hit pressure even with 2 grains above its current load but didn't gain velocity. Which suggests to me it's still burning and a longer barrel is need for additional velocity. Which seems reasonable Kirby's 338AM needs a 34" for full burn and anything after that only nets minimal increase per inch

I believe 3500fps is very do able with the 230gr A-Tips as it sits.

Yeah it's Kirby's

The shoulder is a touch more forward and different angle to the XC

The HCM well we saw how that thread went on it I believe.

Kirby has his thoughts on it but I'm not going to share them.

That and I never understood building a light super mag chambered rifle.

So mine has a 34" barrel. It didn't hit pressure even with 2 grains above its current load but didn't gain velocity. Which suggests to me it's still burning and a longer barrel is need for additional velocity. Which seems reasonable Kirby's 338AM needs a 34" for full burn and anything after that only nets minimal increase per inch

I believe 3500fps is very do able with the 230gr A-Tips as it sits.
Thanks for the feedback. I mentioned earlier but don't know if you were in the thread yet, I'm not in a place to do something like this for a long time yet so I'm plotting and planning 😁 for when that day comes. A .30 xc sounds mighty interesting and with Peterson brass available to just neck down and done, seems like the obvious choice for a super .30 at this point. Maybe get 2 or 3 barrels, while its practical with the ultra heavy bullets I wonder about a slow twist with generous freebore at 34 inches long or so, how close to 5000 fps you could get with ultralights like the 120 Barnes tac tx. I got it up to 4050 in a 26 inch 300 win mag…5000 is the new frontier haha.