What is the fastest cartridge?

I wonder WHAT these guys are getting?

50-20mm Pac-Nor Ackley Improved, it's on their web-site.

It won't be any where near 5000 fps, but it'll REALLY thump when it gets there!

Mark in Utah

Anyone know what the projectile speed of the M1 Abrahms sabot rd is? I know it is way up there.

Was watching them do some range shooting on a TV show. Yep, you know when that "bullet" arrives.

Jerry

Here is the description of the 30-378 Weatherby as seen in the Nosler Number 4 reloading manual.
During the 1950's the U.S. Army contracted Roy Weatherby to see how fast projectiles could be accelerated from a shoulder fired weapon.Weatherby necked down his .378 Magnum case to .30 caliber,seated handmade bullets weighing around 60 grains atop extremely heavy charges of powder and exceeded 5000 fps.In the hands of other experimenters,the .30-378 Weatherby Magnum later reached 6000 fps.
This is on page 371 and is written by Layne Simpson.
Lynn

While almost anything is possible given no limitation on the propolsion method, here is some real world, down to earth loads that have produced regular rifle muzzle velocities in excess of 5,200 ft/sec.
zoooooooom!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
http://www.accuratereloading.com/22-243.html

[ 11-28-2003: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]

One time, in band camp, I had this pellet gun, and, and if you pumped it like, um fifty times it would like go at least, umm, 8000 mph, yeah that was it, it was so fast it went into lower atmospheric orbit, and shot down a rusian spy plane. Yeah , thats the ticket!

JK
grin.gif
grin.gif

I have seen 300WSM with a saboted .22 cal projectile chrono at 5800fps.
It wasnt very accurate though
Later.

My 240 Gibbs gets 4300 with the 55 ballistic tips. So do my blown out 220 swifts with lighter bullets. The wby rocket shoots the best of my blown out 220's. Matter of fact several of my blown out wildcats will get around 4300 but never tried to push anything faster. I am inundated with crows on the farm in winter and either one of these will make a black puff of feathers a long way off.

both remington and winchester make factiry 22-250 ammo rated at 4,000 fps

Hey lets keep it practical. What is the fastest round that is readily available and is not a gimmick? I have not seen anything that has a velocity much over 4000fps that has any practical field use. Keep it real.

I have read that they have played with necking down BMG's to 30 and 338. The only problem they were having was keeping the bullets together when loaded with max loads. Bullets were coming out in pieces from the muzzle. This was more noticeable with the heavier bullets and the assumption was the twist had to be so tight it was spinning them apart. I think I found that data when I was researching the .338 Lapua.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.