What does Deer Hunting teach you?

I have learned much about life, and solved many of life's troubles while sitting in a deer stand. Now, as a seasoned hunter I've learned that walking out of the woods a little lighter than when I walked in is as important as any part of it. I wouldn't have understood that when I was younger. To quote a man of God who listened to me talk about deer hunting years ago over a cup of coffee, the woods are my cathedral. He knew nothing about hunting, but I don't think any truer words had ever been spoken about me. He completely understood how I felt.
GodMadeAHunter: you came close to describing my experience. Hunting is a DEEP spiritual experience for me. It allows me to relax, be calm, and sort out all sorts of thoughts. Most importantly, it gives me lots of time to take in this incredible world called Earth that God placed us in. The Earth's vast and varied beauty and the complexity of the human body and brain is all I need to know that THERE IS A GOD.

It teaches me all of the above depending on how or where I'm hunting. Can't walk far here at home without trespassing so I have to be patient. Plus it taught me that in the end times I will be fine. People will be so easy to hunt I'll never go hungry. 😋
Your comment about the apocalypse reminded me of this gem by Gary Larson

Attachments

• IMG_7097.png
    IMG_7097.png
    347.5 KB · Views: 49
That's what it's all about. I can't wait till my youngest is old enough. My oldest is special needs so we can't do a lot of the normal stuff. So him and I "hunt" we drive around look for turkey or deer. Then every now and again we try and stalk one. He's not good at being still or quite even his shhhh is loud. But it's hunting and teaches me it's more than just putting game on the ground.
I applaud you! Similar situation with my daughter, who btw, cares nothing for hunting but she loves fried back strap. Hang in there and who knows, one day he may close the deal and bag his own trophy. As one said already, sometimes it's just luck!

Perspective is an important aspect of this. I was at the grocery store the other day, and I was struck with the realization that everything in it was formerly 'alive' one way or the other - the beef, the hotdog, the corn, the tomatoes - the bread, the ice cream - everything. Which then led me to the thought that the whimpering 'Vegans' out there know nothing and understand nothing about the fundamentals of life. For you to live - every single day - things MUST die - the lettuce, the tomato, the beef, etc. If you are to be a 'true' vegan - you will die. It is not possible to live without taking life. Perhaps our own deaths are the final price for our lives?

Lots of good feedback and reflection from everyone. Deer hunting has been a big part of my life over the past 40 years; since I was about 13 years old and first started to hunt deer (I started at a much younger age hunting ducks with my dad). Deer hunting has taught me so much about life and how blessed we are, and also how spectacular the whitetails are in my area (as I know they are for all of us). It is only when I stopped worrying about "numbers" and started focusing on quality and the enjoyment of the hunt did I see and learn how truly amazing deer are. I am very restrictive about what I shoot and being that way forces you to learn so much about deer and seeing how they behave "in their element"—be it feeding, traveling, bedding, being spooked, and so on. Watching how deer behave has made me so much more of a better hunter and has really allowed me to enjoy my hunts more. Additionally, I think we all should have the utmost respect for these amazing animals and commit to a clean, quick, and ethical kill. Part of this is always double checking your rifles' zeros just prior to hunting season to ensure nothing has changed from the prior hunting season. Just as important is taking wise, ethical shots. Where I hunt my farthest shot is a little over 300 yards. I want to say that I have NO problems with long shots. There are many great people on this forum that are responsible shooters who have the right equipment capable of long shots and who routinely practice long shots and are familiar with their equipment. It is those who don't routinely practice at extended ranges that end up wounding and not retrieving their quarry by taking long and irresponsible shots that upset me the most. This is a great topic and thank you all for posting and sharing your words of wisdom and what deer hunting means to you. I think it probably means something a little different for everyone and I am just thankful and blessed that God put whitetail deer on this earth for us to all enjoy.
Nice write up buddy.

GodMadeAHunter: you came close to describing my experience. Hunting is a DEEP spiritual experience for me. It allows me to relax, be calm, and sort out all sorts of thoughts. Most importantly, it gives me lots of time to take in this incredible world called Earth that God placed us in. The Earth's vast and varied beauty and the complexity of the human body and brain is all I need to know that THERE IS A GOD.
My sentiments exactly brother!

Deer hunting is that one thing that requires a lot of stillness, quiet, and being in one spot. Obviously then, it gives me bountiful opportunity to practice my patience. However, this serene aspect is part of what makes it a relaxing pastime for so many who enjoy hunting generally. Contrarily, learning patience in a business setting is much more challenging to embrace. My ability to tap into that calm and enduring attitude of perseverance will serve me well in the professional sector. The practice obtained through years of hunting can only strengthen that patience muscle.

I think that, if the hunter uses the hunt to learn the deer's habits, habitat, feed sources (at different times of the year), how to use atmospheric/weather conditions to improve your skills as a "hunter"! Hunting them in their home requires far more "hunting skills" (unless your just lucky) than merely having shooting skills!

Two totally different skillsets! 😉 memtb

I think that, if the hunter uses the hunt to learn the deer's habits, habitat, feed sources (at different times of the year), how to use atmospheric/weather conditions to improve your skills as a "hunter"! Hunting them in their home requires far more "hunting skills" (unless your just lucky) than merely having shooting skills!

Two totally different skillsets! 😉 memtb
Very true. I'm a much better shooter than my dad. He is a much better hunter than me.

It's really nice to pass on skill sets, I, imagine that I am not alone in saying that it's enjoyable to ghost along thru the woods and the weeds and to instruct others in a disappearing way of hunting for many that is very enjoyable....( softly, softly catchee monkee )

Just as much as setting up and knowing routes patterns and playing the patience game will quite often catch a big old sneak...as they are about to disappear into the ether for another year...

If they are willing, so am I...that is way more important a reward than the deer at the end of the day.

It has taught me to be patient, to appreciate it when I see that sun come up over the top of that mountain at day break, to appreciate the forest waking up, to reflect on how blessed I am to be able to get out there and enjoy this gift, appreciate the hunting partner who sticks with me and hunts as hard as I do, I think about my Wife at home who TOTALLY supports me and my hunting and is just as elated (or more) when I do take a deer (and my Son and Daughter) and understands what it means to me.

This might be one of the best threads on here.
Everything y'all have learned, so have I.
Respect for the whitetail in all its greatness, is completely deserved and required from the hunter.
If there is one other thing I've learned, deer hunting can turn best friends, brothers, spouses and cousins into major enemies over a particular hunting spot. At least for a season! LOL