What is the most hated deer rifle you owned ?

For me, it was a Rugerr 77 Ultralight in 30-06. It kicked pretty bad which I think was due to stock design since I had no issues shooting an 8 pound 375HH that was a Remington 700 XCR and a McMillan stock. The 77 was just not all that accurate with any factory ammo. The only load approaching 1" was Winchester 180 Failsafe. That ammo was discontinued so I just sold the rifle.

Last edited:
I bought one of these in .300 WinMag to take on a Canadian caribou hunt. When I got the rifle it show 3-5 MOA at 50 yards. I called the factory, the technician there told me there was nothing they could do for me because it was within factory specs. I told him that no one buys a .300 WinMag with the expectations of its accuracy to be 3-5 inches at 50 yards and asked for a supervisor. Supervisor told me to get the gun to them and Ruger would make it right. I had two weeks before leaving for this hunt and told the supervisor that. Ruger got the rifle and had it back to me within a few days of them receiving it. The rifle was a tack driver when I got it back.
I replaced the barrel on my dad's ruger .300 win. It was 500 yard rifle before but know I can shoot 1k+ yards. Best decision I made.

Two I never enjoyed Rem700 cdl in 7 Rem mag and a Browning A bolt in 270wsm. Something about the stock geometry on those two just walloped the hell out of me. Shooting seated or kneeling they were ok but in the prone they were just terrible. They'd hold good groups and triggers cleaned up nicely just didn't fit me properly and weren't fun to shoot.

In my case it was a Model 70 feather weight Win in 270 Win. This gun hurt to shoot it. I'm talking shoulder numbness, bruised and battered. I'm a slow learner and kept it three years.
Win 94 XTR in 7-30 Waters. Only modern rifle i ever gave up on! Beautiful gun, light handy great cartridge.
Would work with it on the range get it shooting very good groups then....MAGIC!!! shotgun type patterns.
Over and over finally thought i had it figured out then fired 5 shots at a doe antelope slowly walking TOWARDS me down under 70yds ...nothin!
resisted the urge to wrap it around a post and sold it bargain price next gunshow.
Ive been tempted to try one again.