What is the most hated deer rifle you owned ?

The only Rifle I have owned that I have had repetitive issues with is a Browning BAR in 300 win mag which I purchased used it is an old steel frame model. I have had on occasion got it to group only to have it revert back to inaccurate, to me it was unusable for hunting. At least an MOA at a 100 yards with a 3 shot group has been my criteria. I currently have my old dog troubleshooting scope on it and been developing loads for it, currently have a combo that is now grouping. I will continue to develop this load per the nuances I have discovered with this rifle and that will have to do. As the brass must be a little shorter than typical as does the COAL, why I have no idea, but have tracked these issues over time. It has been a pain to measure each round in a factory box to get the data on what makes a difference. Once upon a time I had Nosler make me some ammo for it which shot well, made some of those but now those bullets aren't available. Tried factory ammo again and now I started over with reloads for it currently have been using the ELD-X bullets 220grn, which are grouping. The list of weird things that have gone wrong with this rifle is long. I was going to sell it a couple of times, but it is such a very nice looking rifle, from a fit and finish perspective is why I haven't given up on it. I understand Semi auto rifles are a bit more finicky than bolt guns. Once the new load development is done will swap an existing scope from a rifle that is shooting well and upgrade the scope on the BAR rifle. But it has been an adventure.
If you want to sell the BAR let me know! I hat one in 7 mag which was stolen 10 years ago (in a burglary) and am trying to replace it. I'd swap the barrel to a 7 mag and go from there.

The only Rifle I have owned that I have had repetitive issues with is a Browning BAR in 300 win mag which I purchased used it is an old steel frame model. I have had on occasion got it to group only to have it revert back to inaccurate, to me it was unusable for hunting. At least an MOA at a 100 yards with a 3 shot group has been my criteria. I currently have my old dog troubleshooting scope on it and been developing loads for it, currently have a combo that is now grouping. I will continue to develop this load per the nuances I have discovered with this rifle and that will have to do. As the brass must be a little shorter than typical as does the COAL, why I have no idea, but have tracked these issues over time. It has been a pain to measure each round in a factory box to get the data on what makes a difference. Once upon a time I had Nosler make me some ammo for it which shot well, made some of those but now those bullets aren't available. Tried factory ammo again and now I started over with reloads for it currently have been using the ELD-X bullets 220grn, which are grouping. The list of weird things that have gone wrong with this rifle is long. I was going to sell it a couple of times, but it is such a very nice looking rifle, from a fit and finish perspective is why I haven't given up on it. I understand Semi auto rifles are a bit more finicky than bolt guns. Once the new load development is done will swap an existing scope from a rifle that is shooting well and upgrade the scope on the BAR rifle. But it has been an adventure.

When I was 19 years old I bought a Russian Mosin-Nagant 91/30 7.62x54R surplus sporter, the thing was a beast back in the 60s you could buy them for the change in your pocket, and two boxes of surplus ammo, I missed every Deer and Coyote I shot at, it took me a year to stop flinching with a rifles after that one. Cheers
I killed it 12 pt Buck with one but got rid of it because it didn't take well to a scope.

I killed it 12 pt Buck with one but got rid of it because it didn't take well to a scope.
What's kind of crazy is I have a mint Finnish M39 (VKT) Mosin that shoots like a house on fire with no real noticeable recoil, about the same as my .308 you would think there wouldn't be much difference recoilwise between the Russian Mosin M91/31 and the Finnish M39... but there is. Cheers

Finn M39 VMT (9).JPG
Finn M39 VMT (10).JPG

Can we all just agree the M77 Paddle Stock was designed by an anti hunter? Or the world's most wicked BDSM Mistress? I never owned a PACT recoil shoulder pad until I had one in 7Mag! Horrific recoil with recoil "pad" of solid hard plastic. I had steel butt plate Win 94 that felt like a kiss in comparison. I swapped out stock in maybe less than 50 rounds.

Can we all just agree the M77 Paddle Stock was designed by an anti hunter? Or the world's most wicked BDSM Mistress? I never owned a PACT recoil shoulder pad until I had one in 7Mag! Horrific recoil with recoil "pad" of solid hard plastic. I had steel butt plate Win 94 that felt like a kiss in comparison. I swapped out stock in maybe less than 50 rounds.
GIF by Red Bull

I would have to say a ruger #1 in 338 wm. Shot it 8 times traded it for a hs precision in 338 wm. totally different critter.. It didn't require any dental work after shooting!!
That, I'd say was fact. After I retired I worked for a large gunshop and indoor range, well ...a guy came in with a Ruger No. 1 in .458 Win Mag, as I recall I think it was called the African or Tropic?? anyway... he wanted to trade it in on a new Weatherby, so we took it downstairs to the range so I could test-fire it... it had the red Ruger hard rubber recoil pad, all he had was factory 500gr solids... "Never again" 😲🫨 only once. That rifle sold two or three days after we put it on the rack, amazing. Cheers

I would have to say a ruger #1 in 338 wm. Shot it 8 times traded it for a hs precision in 338 wm. totally different critter.. It didn't require any dental work after shooting!!
I've thought that about my Pop's Browning 338win when he had the brake off, but never about my #1 in 338win. I'll let my 15-year-old kid shoot it with full throttle 225 grain loads. I tried one of the squishy pads on the #1 for a spell but ditched it for the regular pad when the squishy pad got sticky. I realized it wasn't that bad, loaded a few hundred more rounds, and went shooting. The rifle's got north of 1,000 rounds through it now, and the bore looks perfect. I wish I could run a 7stw or 7rum like I've run that rifle...