What 22cal would you build?

Speed is great. I've seen what raw speed will do to hogs and deer. I've shot a few animals with my 25-06 and 87gr bullets at speeds well over 3600fps and it's devastating. But the issue I deal with is wind. The west Texas wind never really stops and it's speed changes 15 times in 10 sec. I can look down one of the fence lines and watch the broomweed at 100yds move left to right then at 400yds it's moving right to left. You can watch dust off the gravel road move towards all 4 points of the compass coming off a truck in a half mile stretch of road. The draws and canyons and bluffs act like a funnel. I can see 300 wind turbines looking out 1 window of my blind. They typically don't build those in calm areas. I have to have enough BC to buck some of the wind. As much as I love speed and its effects on game.... a 30-50gr bullet moving at +4000fps with the BC of a ping-pong ball is not my best option.

Speed is great. I've seen what raw speed will do to hogs and deer. I've shot a few animals with my 25-06 and 87gr bullets at speeds well over 3600fps and it's devastating. But the issue I deal with is wind. The west Texas wind never really stops and it's speed changes 15 times in 10 sec. I can look down one of the fence lines and watch the broomweed at 100yds move left to right then at 400yds it's moving right to left. You can watch dust off the gravel road move towards all 4 points of the compass coming off a truck in a half mile stretch of road. The draws and canyons and bluffs act like a funnel. I can see 300 wind turbines looking out 1 window of my blind. They typically don't build those in calm areas. I have to have enough BC to buck some of the wind. As much as I love speed and its effects on game.... a 30-50gr bullet moving at +4000fps with the BC of a ping-pong ball is not my best option.
in that case 22-6.5PRC. or @orkan is making an improved version .22 Primal.

I like that paint job! Looks like it's sitting on the hood of a suzuki samurai?
Thanks. That's a McMillan stock and thankfully the colors are fully molded in so scratches don't looks as bad and can be sanded out with no loss of color.

It's actually on the bed cover of my truck. I needed an elevated position to shoot from and this was the best compromise I could come up with for an elevated prone position.

I use 55 grain M193 pulled bullets to fireform with and my then 13 year old son was hitting an 8" plate at 550 yards with boring regularity.

I've shot 50 grain VMAX bullets as high as 3951fps with it.

Yeah that would definitely do it but im trying to get away from....
Fire forming
Hard to find slow burning magnum powders and magnum primers.
I just bought a used Howa 1500 in 6.5cm as a donor for $400.
In my experience a barrel needs 200 rounds to pick up speed and settle in before you can do really meaningful load development. Your brass should be fired once anyways regardless if it's a wildcat or not. I try and keep about 200 pcs of brass for each rifle so I just do a quick and dirty load dev and then load the rest up and go have fun. They shoot well enough to do anything with. I've got a 284 Win-Imp right now that is shooting about 3/8 with FF loads.

At any rate I'd vote for 22CM then

Yeah that would definitely do it but im trying to get away from....
Fire forming
Hard to find slow burning magnum powders and magnum primers.
I just bought a used Howa 1500 in 6.5cm as a donor for $400.
So then do the straight neck down version. 22 PRC. No fire forming needed.

.22 PRC Primal obviously needs formed. Though that's easily solved by doing up a steel barrel to have fun with. I slay pdogs while forming brass. ;)

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

So then do the straight neck down version. 22 PRC. No fire forming needed.

.22 PRC Primal obviously needs formed. Though that's easily solved by doing up a steel barrel to have fun with. I slay pdogs while forming brass. ;)

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Just for grins....

What would a 22prc or 22primal load look like? Im assuming that it's gonna take a magnum primer and some H1000.

I like fast 22 cals - way too much fun to shoot. My 22-250 AI is a 22" 1:8 twist and shoots the 88 ELDMs comfortably at 3150. The 22 Creed is a 22" 1:7.5 twist. Just bolted it all together last weekend so hoping to sneak to the range soon.

22-250 AI:
View attachment 394930

22 Creed:
View attachment 394929
man that's a good lookin gun! love that stock, got you a little NF on it! very 😎 "Black Death" for coyotes!! lol

I love my 22 creed. Remington SA trued up. 24" proof 1/8 t. Jewel trigger.
It likes 80 gr Bergers over 42gr of H4350 @ 3450 ish
Every time I pull the trigger at whatever distance, it dies...lol
6A89667C-3C76-4B43-A554-9E6CEA309623.jpeg

I have 22-243 shooting a 55gr Nosler BT at 4150fps out of a 24 inch barrel, and it destroys coyotes and prarie dogs
I also build 20-250, 6-06AI, 22-243, 22-250AI, 260AI, and lot's of other rifles on my lathe!

I have 22-243 shooting a 55gr Nosler BT at 4150fps out of a 24 inch barrel, and it destroys coyotes and prarie dogs
I also build 20-250, 6-06AI, 22-243, 22-250AI, 260AI, and lot's of other rifles on my lathe!
I'm getting ready to build a 22-243 middlestead
Looking forward to shooting 75 grain AMax at 3700 fps hopefully.