Mountain Gun build - What would you do different?

In fact the old school Ultra Light Arms was the ideal design elements for a mountain rifle. You are not building it to shoot 60 shots of 300 Win Mag from a bench or prone or 60 rounds off hand of a super wamy magnum. The idea is to have a rifle light enough to carry all day and take one maybe 2 shots a day on large game in the mountains at a long distance. It does not take a muzzle break to take 1-2 shots max each day until you hit the legal limit in your area. If your hunting area is highly developed or not at all extreme or you are on horse back or on a quad than you really do not need a "mountain rifle". Just because the terrain is steep does not mean it is difficult terrain that needs a true mountain gun.

As men we should be word smiths and keep in mind that words have specific meaning. One does not need to have a Master's from an Ivy League University to grasp the concept of a "Mountain Rifle" it is no more up for debate what that means than the term V8 means an engine in a V configuration with exactly 8 cylinders not inline, not 4, 6, 10 or 12. Before any intelligent conversation can be had on any topic everyone has to agree to the meaning of words that is why medicine, law, aviation and mathematics etc....all have very specific words with well defined meanings.

Well I would imagine your not hunting in very harsh places if you can afford to carry around an awkward rifle with a bipod attached to it and find a good place to put it down. So either the environment is not very harsh not exactly mountain terrain but in rather developed area's with road and man massaged environment.

In point of fact if someone is going to extremes to shave weight and suddenly after doing all kinds of stupid things to shave weight they go and slap a bipod on that person has lost all credibility. It is like someone talking about losing fat weight and exercising but you turn around and they are eating Krispy Kreme donuts or a box of Twinkies effectively throwing their credibility right out the window! So are we building a mountain rifle, varmint rifle, F-Class rifle or a tactical rifle? No way to build one rifle that does it all! Between 2lbs.-13 onces is the norm for store bought quality made bipods. On top of that you have the cost. The cost can match or exceed the price of a hunting rifle or custom barrel or a really nice stock! So you have cost and weight working against you! https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/shooting-gear-we-test-8-premium-bipods#page-3

2lbs 13 ozs. for a bipod? More like 5-12 ozs.

Well now you miss quoting me. I said they range in weight from almost 3 lbs. to about 13oz which is still close to a pound as in 3 oz off from a pound.

If someone does the homework for you the least you can do is read the link. These where weights already on the market and that is their factory listed weight. Go read the article please.Cheers!!

Well I would imagine your not hunting in very harsh places if you can afford to carry around an awkward rifle with a bipod attached to it and find a good place to put it down. So either the environment is not very harsh not exactly mountain terrain but in rather developed area's with road and man massaged environment.

In point of fact if someone is going to extremes to shave weight and suddenly after doing all kinds of stupid things to shave weight they go and slap a bipod on that person has lost all credibility. It is like someone talking about losing fat weight and exercising but you turn around and they are eating Krispy Kreme donuts or a box of Twinkies effectively throwing their credibility right out the window! So are we building a mountain rifle, varmint rifle, F-Class rifle or a tactical rifle? No way to build one rifle that does it all! Between 2lbs.-13 onces is the norm for store bought quality made bipods. On top of that you have the cost. The cost can match or exceed the price of a hunting rifle or custom barrel or a really nice stock! So you have cost and weight working against you! https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/shooting-gear-we-test-8-premium-bipods#page-3

In fact the old school Ultra Light Arms was the ideal design elements for a mountain rifle. You are not building it to shoot 60 shots of 300 Win Mag from a bench or prone or 60 rounds off hand of a super wamy magnum. The idea is to have a rifle light enough to carry all day and take one maybe 2 shots a day on large game in the mountains at a long distance. It does not take a muzzle break to take 1-2 shots max each day until you hit the legal limit in your area. If your hunting area is highly developed or not at all extreme or you are on horse back or on a quad than you really do not need a "mountain rifle". Just because the terrain is steep does not mean it is difficult terrain that needs a true mountain gun.

As men we should be word smiths and keep in mind that words have specific meaning. One does not need to have a Master's from an Ivy League University to grasp the concept of a "Mountain Rifle" it is no more up for debate what that means than the term V8 means an engine in a V configuration with exactly 8 cylinders not inline, not 4, 6, 10 or 12. Before any intelligent conversation can be had on any topic everyone has to agree to the meaning of words that is why medicine, law, aviation and mathematics etc....all have very specific words with well defined meanings.

Most long range hunters I know either have a bipod or shoot off their pack. The financial cost of a good lightweight bipod on the custom or high end factory gun that a lot of LR guys are using is negligible. Bipods can be used in very rugged terrain in my experience and the good ones are very adjustable. Some people, especially in long range hunting, don't prefer a featherweight rifle for mountain hunting, and the potential advantage of a bipod may be well worth the weight depending on the type of hunting your doing IMO.

I certainly disagree about a muzzle breaks on a magnum rifle even when weight is a top goal. You may not need the recoil reduction when shooting 1-2 shots (although it is nice), but the ability to see your shot impact an animal at distances is well worth it IMO, especially if you don't have a spotter.

What one considers a "mountain rifle" is very dependent on how they hunting. I agree that it is considered a lightweight option, but what that maybe to someone shooting an elk at 900 yards across a canyon vs someone that prefers to get within a few hundred maybe different. Some weight certainly has its advantages in certain applications regardless of the terrain you hunt.

We are all duly impressed with your football career and where your wife grew up.
Social skills on the other hand and the ability to express opinions (hopefully based in SOME fact) in an articulate, non-abrassive manner, apparently werent in that locker room or residing in that particular geographic location at the time.

Berating others who are honestly relaying experience in order to help a fellow forum member... is just poor form. In turn, me having met my quota for tolerating rude behavior for the day and feeling the need to respond, is a failure- and yet another sign that only through vigilance and strict discipline will i ever have hope of conquering ego and mastering the self.

Well theres always tomorrow;)

The only bipod I use on my mountain rifles are the snipe pod and its more like shooting sticks than a conventional bipod. Its the only way I have found to have a good solid shooting position when shots are cross canyon and above me when shooting from an incline position. The snipe pod also works well for shooting downhill at an extreme angle. The snipe pod is carried in a individual bag attached to the shoulder strap on my pack and can be installed in under 10 seconds if speed is required. It is never carried on my gun. If someone wants to carry a conventional bipod or a snipe pod attached to their rifle I have no problem with that. To each their own. Its not my place to tell someone what they should carry and if they don't take my advice then take offense. FWIW on my most common other hunts I use an Atlas or Javelin bipod - not attached to rifle but where I can access it quickly.

A few years ago I was talking to a coworker about hunting and he was frustrated about his lack of success in drawing a tag. He being an archery hunter I gave him some suggestions about some over the counter opportunities in other states. I also told him about the hunt I do if I don't get drawn myself. I can hunt elk 40 minutes from my house every year purchasing an over the counter tag. He began to question the hunt and the equipment needed. I explained to him that I hunt an area that is easy to get to but once you are there it is steep, steep, steep, explaining I can go most the day never standing on a flat surface other than the occasional rock. I hunt this area because others don't and it holds a good number of elk. I told him that my rifle, optics and everything are chosen especially for this type of hunting and this equipment is only used on this or like hunts. So I invited him to join me if he wanted to and I would help him with getting started in mountain rifle hunting. We talked rifles on many occasions and he ended up going in another direction than what I had suggested. Internet forums had convinced him that he could carry a long heavy LR rifle and still be an effective hunter. He also did the same with his optics bringing a big heavy spotting scope and tripod. The rifle he chose was a rem700 sendero in 300RUM with a big Zeiss scope. Total weight was 12-15 lbs I'm guessing. Long story short, he lasted 1.5 days before he gave up and went home. He had prepared physically for the hunt somewhat, meaning he went to the gym but that type of fitness does not translate well to actual hunting. He never loaded his pack and went hiking. He showed up the next year at my camp with a Savage model 11 lightweight hunter in 6.5cm with a Swarovski z6 scope and a pair of 8x32 binoculars. He took a nice bull on the 3rd day. He learned for himself what "really" works in the mountains and that is going to be different for everyone.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.