What would you do?

TC338

I'm looking into my first magnum rifle. I'm needing a rifle at least 7mm in caliber, just in case I draw an Oklahoma Elk tag, the require at least .277 diameter to hunt elk. I'm wanting a rifle I can shoot bout to 1000 yards on game effectively. I'm planning to hand load, but would like factory ammo available as an option. This will be mainly a sit and shoot rifle so weight is not an issue. I currently carry a 13lb 6.5 all the time. What chambering would you guys recommend? If you have a rifle recommendation post that as well.
Thanks ahead of time.

I'm interested in seeing responses on this as well, I'm hoping to get a new hunting rifle in the next few years with similar capabilities. Leaning towards a 300 PRC or 7mm PRC but I know those are just the newer hyped cartridges and there are other good options too. Obviously it gets very subjective when people say effectively taking game at 1000 yards so it's tricky discussing it, I'll need a lot of practice before I get there but it would be great to have a capable gun if the situation ever presents itself.

I'm interested in seeing responses on this as well, I'm hoping to get a new hunting rifle in the next few years with similar capabilities. Leaning towards a 300 PRC or 7mm PRC but I know those are just the newer hyped cartridges and there are other good options too. Obviously it gets very subjective when people say effectively taking game at 1000 yards so it's tricky discussing it, I'll need a lot of practice before I get there but it would be great to have a capable gun if the situation ever presents itself.
Hope this thread helps. I've gotten so much good info from these guys.

1000 yards at large game is definitely a long poke. The 28 Nosler would be my choice, if you are hand loading. You can jump on the PRC train or even go with RM or WM cartidges, if factory ammo is in the mix. Whatever you go with, you will need to spend considerable time and effort practicing. That means putting many shots down range at long distances. Good luck on your journey as well as drawing your tag.

how regularly do you shoot 1,000+ yards with the rifles you currently own?
Not as often as I would like. I have no intention of shooting at an elk at 1000. I have a goal to kill a deer at 1000 some day, but I currently limit myself to about 700. I just want a chambering that will carry enough velocity and energy to take that 1000 yard shot someday.

There are numerous calibers and cartridges that will fill that bill -
7Rmag
7PRC
280 or AI
7WSM
7RUM
28 Nosler
284 Win
30-06 or AI
300WinMag
300SAUM
300PRC
300WSM
300RUM
338's
etc, etc, etc

For elk size at 1,000 and plus, I typically use the 300RUM's and 338's, but at shorter ranges, I have hunted with 25-06's, 260AI's (not legal for you), 270Win, 30-06, etc, etc and even handguns.

I've never been a fan of bureaucratic and arbitrary caliber size for hunting anything, as there are many "calibers/cartridges" that would be legal that are far less viable than many that are smaller caliber but in better cartridges and bullets. I.e. a 30-30 or 303 Savage would be legal, but the 25-06, 260, 260AI, 6.5PRC, etc would not.

Last edited:
First I'd set realistic confident goals for myself, that includes my knowing my typical shot distances I'm confident in making on the big game I hunt. Then I choose an efficient bullet & cartridge that will provide the ballistics required for best terminal performance & something I can shoot accurately consistently at those distances. Then I'd build it with the exact components & in the exact configuration I want. I would reload for optimum performance. Then practice a lot in various field conditions. Becoming familiar with your equipment & use in hunting environments & having utmost confidence is important to ensure success.

You can't always buy confidence, but you can build it.

YMMV…. But it shouldn't.

I choose a SAUM, either 7 or 300.
Or in my case Both. 🤠

Last edited: