What would you do ??????

thumper1

Hey guys and Gals I have a que"s for you! I have a 375 Ruger African that a guy wants really bad and he's willing to trade me his rem 700 cdl 7mm rum for it. I was thinking about getting back into long range shooting/hunting again anyways what would you do ?????

I tend to agree with ultra, the rum and the stw burn ALOT of powder for a little gain over the standards. Some guys want the extra speed and are willing to trade the recoil and barrel life for it.

I'll offer the alternative view and say make the trade. While the 375 is a terrific caliber, a Ruger rifle is not a great platform to start with whereas a Rem700 is basically the standard on which most longrange rigs are built.

As for the 700 being 7RUM, that's not a big deal. Go ahead and shoot it 'as is' for a while....until you decide to rebarrel and then you can choose any cartridge you want. And that really puts you back in the longrange game.

if the CDL has a decent piece of walnut on it I would check the throat for errosion, even if theres only 50 rounds down the pipe, if its good i would do it. it is important to check the thre throat no matter what with the 7 RUM because 5 shots in rapid succession can fry the throat.

I personally wouldnt shoot a 375 HH just because I like a little flatter trajectory, and would want something at least RUM size for that bullet dia. and i dont think the rugers can handle that case.
The 7mm RUM probably isnt your best bet for something to shoot a bunch, but will be a great light wieght-long range hunting rifle, and will become a real performer when the 195's hit the market.

I have a Remington 700 LSS in 7mm Ultra Mag that I've had for years and probably shot 200-300 rounds and haven't noticed any decrease in accuracy. I have been careful to let the barrel cool properly between shots but it still shoots great and has accounted for 40+ deer...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.