What would you do ??????

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by thumper1, Dec 30, 2012.

1. thumper1

thumper1 Member

Hey guys and Gals I have a que"s for you! I have a 375 Ruger African that a guy wants really bad and he's willing to trade me his rem 700 cdl 7mm rum for it. I was thinking about getting back into long range shooting/hunting again anyways what would you do ?????

2. 300 ultra

300 ultra Well-Known Member

Keep the 375! 7 Ultra is a powder waster for not much more speed. My opinion anyway

3. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with ultra, the rum and the stw burn ALOT of powder for a little gain over the standards. Some guys want the extra speed and are willing to trade the recoil and barrel life for it.

4. Korhil78

Korhil78 Well-Known Member

I would keep it as well. Just go and get another gun for long range!

5. thumper1

thumper1 Member

Thanks guys very much appreciated

6. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

I'll offer the alternative view and say make the trade. While the 375 is a terrific caliber, a Ruger rifle is not a great platform to start with whereas a Rem700 is basically the standard on which most longrange rigs are built.

As for the 700 being 7RUM, that's not a big deal. Go ahead and shoot it 'as is' for a while....until you decide to rebarrel and then you can choose any cartridge you want. And that really puts you back in the longrange game.

7. angus-5024

angus-5024 Well-Known Member

if the CDL has a decent piece of walnut on it I would check the throat for errosion, even if theres only 50 rounds down the pipe, if its good i would do it. it is important to check the thre throat no matter what with the 7 RUM because 5 shots in rapid succession can fry the throat.

I personally wouldnt shoot a 375 HH just because I like a little flatter trajectory, and would want something at least RUM size for that bullet dia. and i dont think the rugers can handle that case.
    The 7mm RUM probably isnt your best bet for something to shoot a bunch, but will be a great light wieght-long range hunting rifle, and will become a real performer when the 195's hit the market.

8. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

If the 7RUM is not already in need of a barrel, remember it is not far from it.

Keep the 375 or trade it for something else.

Jeff

9. Big Pard

Big Pard Member

I have a Remington 700 LSS in 7mm Ultra Mag that I've had for years and probably shot 200-300 rounds and haven't noticed any decrease in accuracy. I have been careful to let the barrel cool properly between shots but it still shoots great and has accounted for 40+ deer...