What 22cal would you build?

I hate to hijack a thread but I do have a few questions concerning 222 Rem Mag I just got in Rem 722. I am looking for someone with experience with this caliber. I'm curious to know if anyone tried shooting heavier bullets like possibly 62 gr with the 1:14 twist ? I assume it will be close to what the 223 does with that twist rate ? And possibly a 62 gr is to much ? And how hard is this caliber on barrels ? Should I buy a spare ? And change the twist rate to say 1:8 wylde or 1:7 for heavier bullets ? I would like to have the best of both worlds if possible.
I have the same rifle, great little shooter. Try the 64 grain Winchester power point. It should stabilize in the 1-14 twist. I have played with this bullet a little in mine but didn't spend much time with load development. You might give Varget and 8208xbr a try.

Having not read all the pages in this post, I will give you my experience with my 22 Creedmoor. I built a 27.5" 1/7 twist heavy bull barrel on a trued up 700 action. It sits in an MDT LSS-XL Gen2 chassis and wears a Viper PSTII 5-25 scope. I started out making cases by necking down 6mm CM brass but have also just loaded up full house 22-250 cases and fired them. Regardless of which way I made 22 Creed brass, it was easy and very accurate during fireforming. Nowadays you can buy 22 CM brass and dies from a number of sources. I built mine with the intention of shooting the 95gr SMKs, which it does extremely well. I also built a 1/8 twist for my brother. The 1/8 twist has handled everything up to 88gr ELDMs very well. My 1/7 twist will blow up lighter bullets if pushed hard. I think a 1/7.5 or 1/8 would be more than enough for all but the heaviest 22 cal bullets. It has been easy to load for and not at all picky on which bullet is loaded. As mentioned before, accuracy nodes seem quite wide. I really like the 95gr SMK and the ballistics it offers. I never thought I would see the day that a 224 bullet would stay supersonic beyond 1400 yards.
My Rem700 22 Creedmoor 1.jpg
My Rem700 22 Creedmoor 4.jpg

Last edited:
Having not read all the pages in this post, I will give you my experience with my 22 Creedmoor. I built a 27.5" 1/7 twist heavy bull barrel on a trued up 700 action. It sits in an MDT LSS-XL Gen2 chassis and wears a Viper PSTII 5-25 scope. I started out making cases by necking down 6mm CM brass but have also just loaded up full house 22-250 cases and fired them. Regardless of which way I made 22 Creed brass, it was easy and very accurate during fireforming. Nowadays you can buy 22 CM brass and dies from a number of sources. I built mine with the intention of shooting the 95gr SMKs, which it does extremely well. I also built a 1/8 twist for my brother. The 1/8 twist has handled everything up to 88gr ELDMs very well. My 1/7 twist will blow up lighter bullets if pushed hard. I think a 1/7.5 or 1/8 would be more than enough for all but the heaviest 22 cal bullets. It has been easy to load for and not at all picky on which bullet is loaded. As mentioned before, accuracy nodes seem quite wide. I really like the 95gr SMK and the ballistics it offers. I never thought I would see the day that a 224 bullet would stay supersonic beyond 1500 yards. View attachment 397033View attachment 397034
just curious what made you choose H4831SC over H 4350 ?

Having not read all the pages in this post, I will give you my experience with my 22 Creedmoor. I built a 27.5" 1/7 twist heavy bull barrel on a trued up 700 action. It sits in an MDT LSS-XL Gen2 chassis and wears a Viper PSTII 5-25 scope. I started out making cases by necking down 6mm CM brass but have also just loaded up full house 22-250 cases and fired them. Regardless of which way I made 22 Creed brass, it was easy and very accurate during fireforming. Nowadays you can buy 22 CM brass and dies from a number of sources. I built mine with the intention of shooting the 95gr SMKs, which it does extremely well. I also built a 1/8 twist for my brother. The 1/8 twist has handled everything up to 88gr ELDMs very well. My 1/7 twist will blow up lighter bullets if pushed hard. I think a 1/7.5 or 1/8 would be more than enough for all but the heaviest 22 cal bullets. It has been easy to load for and not at all picky on which bullet is loaded. As mentioned before, accuracy nodes seem quite wide. I really like the 95gr SMK and the ballistics it offers. I never thought I would see the day that a 224 bullet would stay supersonic beyond 1500 yards. View attachment 397033View attachment 397034
Nice shooting there brother!

If I was to do a 22cf, it would be the 22-284 with a 14 twist
for the 35 and 44gr Hammers. Have been mulling it around as I've got a Savage Axis action screaming to be built into something...lol
that sounds like about 4500fps. if you are planning on shooting those solids why not go to a faster twist to give yourself hopes of shooting some of the heavier bullets if you wanted