The dumbest thing you have ever heard

:rolleyes: OK I will admit that I did this once, but I was young and it was a caribou. If I had waited a few minutes it would have been dead. But out of ammo and five miles out of camp. It only flopped a few times with me on it. 🤫🤫
😂 I knew it.
I have done it twice on whitetails but I stabbed them in the heart only because I didn't want to waste another round.

I am with ya!
I did actually hear a while back of a guy around here made the mistake of walking up on a downed elk he shot and assuming it was dead already by the time he got there. It couldn't get up anymore but still had some fight in it. Guy got kicked in the balls hard enough to require hospitalization.

Sometime back in the 90's I was at the gun counter at Gander Mtns. flagship store in Wilmot Wi. when a guy walked up and asked the person there if they could get his rifle sighted in , they did that . It was three days before deer season .

Sometime back in the 90's I was at the gun counter at Gander Mtns. flagship store in Wilmot Wi. when a guy walked up and asked the person there if they could get his rifle sighted in , they did that . It was three days before deer season .
When I worked at a local gun shop, we would have down staters come in after dark the night before the season deer opener, buy a new gun, have us mount a rifle scope, and bore sight it... Good to go for the opener!

Some of them even got deer 😑😳😑

Last edited:
When I worked at a local gun shop, we would have down staters come in after dark the night before the season deer opener, buy a new gun, have us mount a rifle, and bore sight it... Good to go for the opener!

Some of them even got deer 😑😳😑
I've worked at a gun counter about half a year now. Already I've encountered an angry customer claiming we bore sighted his rifle wrong because "well I've shot at a bunch of deer and missed"

I asked "did you finish sighting it in after we bore sighted it?"

He just stared at me all at once like a deer in the headlights but also like I had just said the stupidest thing possible. "What are you talking about, what's the point of bore sighting if it's not even sighted in?"

It's the gooey stuff behind the eye I would worry about.
Another idiotic thing I heard about second hand from my auntie:

She knew a guy in her youth with circular scars in each cheek that happened when, under the influence of much alcohol and the stupidity of being in one's late teens or early twenties, he convinced his drinking buddy to try putting out a lit cigarette with a .22 rifle WHILE HE WAS SMOKING IT! (They'd been drinking and watching old Western movies 🤣) Shot him through the mouth instead, amazingly didn't hit any teeth, his jaw was slack enough it just blew through both cheeks and kept going.

Some of these are mind numbing, some of them make me wonder about our fellow hunters and understand how wounded game happens. Not so much what I heard, but what I witnessed.

When my stepdaughter was in 2nd grade she had an amazing teacher. Well, her and her husband decided to quit teaching and move to Arkansas and buy a chicken farm, eggs actually. We would go visit and I'd help out around the farm. I actually brush hogged a piece of their property that was about 100ac. My thinking was, that would be an excellent deer field, ran down along a creek and was surrounded by tall timber. I worked on it every time I went up, helped him build a nice deer blind. Well, fast forward a year or two and we are up there for Thanksgiving. He invites me to go hunt with him and while we are chatting a big mainframe 10 steps out on the far side of the field, probably close to 300yds. I asked him if he was comfortable with the shot, oh yeah, I shoot that far all the time. I am watching thru the binos as he whiffs and I see the impact probably close to 100yds this side of the buck. Later I took the rifle to the hay field to check zero, scope was loose, bases were loose. I remove and remount everything not touching the turrets. When I finally get to paper, put a orange dot up and look thru the scope, I am seeing trees in the back ground. I turned the elevation knob at least 2 full turns before paper came into view. Finally get it on paper and then zero'd at 150yds. I asked Terry about it, he said the guys at the gun store sold him both rifles and zero'd both scopes. They got lucky with one and not even close with the other. I checked the other and it was maybe an inch off at 150yds. He went on to kill quite a few deer down there, but never nothing like that first one I saw.

Another idiotic thing I heard about second hand from my auntie:

She knew a guy in her youth with circular scars in each cheek that happened when, under the influence of much alcohol and the stupidity of being in one's late teens or early twenties, he convinced his drinking buddy to try putting out a lit cigarette with a .22 rifle WHILE HE WAS SMOKING IT! (They'd been drinking and watching old Western movies 🤣) Shot him through the mouth instead, amazingly didn't hit any teeth, his jaw was slack enough it just blew through both cheeks and kept going.
🤦‍♂️