Have You Ever Wondered

Small Lady

Have you ever wondered why there are so many types of a caliber?
300, 7mm, 6.5, and many more.
Seems life would be simpler if there were just one of each.

I also wonder why there are not more lever actions?
Gosh I like a lever, better than a pump or bolt.
Yet limited choices.

Yet limited choices.
That's why you first go out and buy two big gun safes.
Then you tell yourself you need to fill it up 😂

LOL, 😄😂🤣, my old shooting buddy, (may he rest in peace), use to rant about how many different cartridges there were. We came to the conclusion that its mainly a marketing thing. There are some people in this world that have to try the "latest and greatest". Thus manufacturers can sell more.

Yet limited choices.
KYGUNCO lists 345 Lever guns in 37 calibers

GRABAGUN lists 445 Lever guns in 35 calibers

Many are sold out.

There is no short or quick answer to your question. Be thankful that we have lots of choices. What we need and what we want are two completely different things. Being a lefty we have a lot less choices than Right handers do. Why do we have seemingly redundant and overlapping cartridges?
Most of it is a marketing ploy. As has been stated some people simply have to have the newest and greatest new thing thinking that it gives them a edge over their buddys. I know it is a guy thing! I teach a lot of women to shoot and it is much easier than men. Women are not so competitive with each other as men are and they listen to instruction much better.
There are some instances where a new cartridge is warranted. Lets use the 6.8 Western as an example. yes we have the 270 Winchester which is one of the most popular cartridges thanks to Jack O'Conner a popular gun writer a generation ago. Then along came the 270 WSM (Winchester Short Magnum) Because some marketing genus thought it was a good idea to capitalize on the good ole 270 Win since it was old (1935) and needed a new challenger in the market. But guess what they stuffed a bullet way down in the case and put it in a short action with a slow twist barrel of 1/10 which was the same as the old 270 Win with over all length of 2.800" which neutered it performance.
I have a 270 WSM in a action with 3.125 magazine length and a faster twist barrel which makes it a custom gun. It is one of my favorites now but with the SAMMI spec 270 WSM it was marginally better than the ole 270 Win. But with the longer length which got the bullet up out of the case and let you put powder there and a faster twist barrel that allowed me to shoot heavier bullets and monos (lead free) it became a stellar performer.
Winchester realized that latter and now we have the 6.8 Westener which is simply the 270 WSM as I described above.
In retorspect I am not sure that I have help you understand the subject at all. My only comparison is men buy guns that they don't need, but want and women buy shoes. LOL
I too love Lever actions they sure are handy to carry on a horse and I spend a lot of time on a horse.

Yet limited choices.
No! I have however wondered why the paint store has so many types of white?

Most of us are a ok with the vast array of ootions, although the near duplicates do make my eye twitch. I get in today's litigious society it's easier to launch a 6.8 western from the same exact company that made its near identical 270wsm twin.

Even I'd not of bothered to be frustrated but the multi year component shortages gets a little old. Nobody would complain if they kept some level of reasonable supply for what already exists. We had a several year shortage in Alaska for 338 win mag, but 350 legend aplenty. I've bought rifles without already having ammo or brass and waited years to find brass or ammo. Considering when I turned 18, perpetual shortages have existed for more than half my adult life it does make me wonder.... never mind the myriad of rapid orphans.

Lever gun market is probably The best it'd been for a while. Henry has grown significantly, the ruger marlins are awesome, rossi has some ok options and more variety and uberti and Taylor's adds even more options. Browning ships in small numbers but they seem to turn up from time to time, although they currently aren't getting a ton on the shelves.

The lever gun thing is just not the "it" part of the hunting world. So it gets a little less attention right now.