The dumbest thing you have ever heard..

nelson

Just curious what is the dumbest or most unbelivable thing you have ever heard about hunting or shooting in general.. For example I heard a guy claim last week at a local gun store that he had set up 4 4 litre water jugs at 300 to 400 yards in 25 yard increments and then shot 4 out of 4 with his smooth bore berreta shotgun using factory rem slugs..This guy was off his rocker PS: this gun has only got a front bead for sights..

we had a guy swear up and down that he shot a coyote at 400 yards with a 17hmr and it ripped the left side of its rib cage out and flipped the dog on exit. sound realistic to any body here?

You guys find those kinds of stories, unique?

I showed a bragging group to a associate, once. He shrugged and said that it seemed to him, that they should all have gone through the same hole? Words failed me.

Good hunting. LB

Another one I heard recently This guy that comes to the rifle range I shoot at was telling me that he shot a large coyote at 600 plus yards with his 25-06 and when hit the dog's entire head flew off and it's body flipped up in the air over 10 feet.. Consequently this 25-06 load was chronoed
at over 4200 feet per second Ya okay so what bullet did this guy use.. Any way I called him on it and he hasn't said a word to me since

So many to choose from, but one of my favorites was a guys wife who was going to sue me because Her husband had shot himself accidentaly with a pistol I had just sold him.

He had ordered a Ruger P-9 when they first came out and waited for months to get it, as soon as he had it in his hands he went right out to the boonies to shot it with a buddy of his, and the first target they saw was a metal fence post along the hi way. He takes careful aim from 15 feet and lets her fly, He hits the top of the post and the lead separates from the jacket and comes straight back and hits him in the head just above the left eye. It knocked him down and out, as well as left him with a permanent half moon dent in his head.
His shrew of a wife threatened, and wined some more then she asks me what I'm going to do about it.

I looked her right in the eyes and said "I wasn't going to do anything about it after talking to you I think he shot himself on purpose."

The guy still has the pistol and the dent in his skull but not the wife.

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious what is the dumbest or most unbelivable thing you have ever heard about hunting or shooting in general

[/ QUOTE ]

My signature line says it all. Well almost all. I left out the part about this grossly obese man being out of breath from his long walk to the back of my store. There is no way he held a gun steady for a shot over 50 yards.

True story

Three guys go out camping and muzzle loading hunting. Opening day they get up early and head out. One guy winds up walking along a jeep trail and sees a fork horn buck at 75 yds so he lets loose with his TC and when the smoke clears the deer is gone so he turns around and walks back to camp. Second guy comes back to camp and inquires about his hunt and first guy says he fired but missed. Third guy ( my sometimes hunting partner) hunts long and hard and finally heads back to camp along a jeep trail and notices a fork horn buck lying dead 10 feet of the road but leaves it be and continues on to camp where he learns the first guy has shot at such a deer but not gone on down to check . They go and retrieve the deer. First guy is never invited to hunt again.

I know dumber stories but they are about me.

Here is one

Long ago I was out deer hunting in south Alabama with my two younger brothers and during the middle of the day when things were slow, I decided to go shoot a squirrel or two for dinner. Sure enough I see a big ole fox squirrel (red squirrel for you Yankees) and he takes off running so I go running after him and he goes up a tree, but I don't know which one. I look around and there is a big brushy nest way up a poplar tree and I can see fur so I let go with a load of #4s and down falls a small raccoon. I am somewhat surprised but still need the squirrel, so I look around and there is more movement in the nest up the tree and I see fur again. So I shoot again and down falls another raccoon. I know there is a squirrel somewhere there so I start moving around and sure enough there is more movement in the nest up the tree so I shoot once more and out falls yet a third raccoon. The squirrel cannot be found so I head back to camp and skin up the three little raccoons. What we find out that night is why you will not find
'Loblolly Pine Roasted Raccoon" on the menu of any five star restaurants.

Hey another one for ya A couple of winters ago I was approached by the mother of a couple of kids I was coaching in air pistol. The oldest boy had been bugging mom and dad non stop for months for his own air rifle. This boy wa obsessed with the idea and had managed to save up enough money to get just about any break open air rifle available locally. So I phoned a friend of mine who had a nice rws air rifle for sale that had the stock modified for a shooter of smaller stature. The boy bought the rifle for a song and I helped him sight it in and got him a good supply of pellets. After much instruction and practice the boy was able to hit anything he tried for up to 30 yards. Know living on a farm there was a unlimited supply of sparrows and such for him to pick off. About 2 months later I got a phone call from the mother who proceeded to scream and yell about this rifle being to powerfull and how the son had been killing innocent little birds and mice. Turns out he had been feeding the riches of his afternoon hunts to his family cats and the mother had caught him and was horrified that this air rifle had enough power to off a sparrow? What the hell else was this thing for I mean the kid wanted to go hunting I guess the mom thought he would just scare the birds!! Any way she took the rifle away and the boy wasn't allowed to come to the range anymore to shoot our dangerous air guns

Last bow season I meet this 20 year old kid that just moved to my town from Missouri. I met him while scouting deer one night on this farm down the road from my house. Apparently he got permission from the owner of the farm who he met while working at a local hardware store.

He tells me that some of the local guys are giving him a hard time. bla bla bla. Anyway I take him to get his NY hunting license so he'll be all set for opening day. On the way there I start to see why he's having a hard time with these guys. He's bragging about knowing Jerry Martin, and about all the deer he shot. I mention to my wife that I was going to take this kid with me opening day, but he's such a BS'er that I'm changing my mind. Of course my wife gives me the "you were 20 once too" speech. So I take him.

I meet him at 4am opening day of archery and we wish each other luck and go to our spots. It was a light rain all day, but there was enough leaf cover that I barely got wet. Idiot boy is sitting uncovered getting soaked for hours. Fortunately for him it was nice weather.

Anyway, with about 30 minutes of light left, PRIME TIME, he come walking over to my spot. Rather than yell at him I calmly explain that in the future, I'll meet him at the trucks.

So we are walking back along a hedgerow to our left going downhill when we spot two does about 120 yards ahead of us walking along the hedgerow in front of us that goes from right to left. They are walking right toward the corner.

So Robin Hood decides that we should keep walking right up to them and shoot them. I explained to him how stupid that Idea was and suggested instead that we are fortunate that one of the paths through the hedgerow is to our left and we can get to the other side and set up on the other side of the corner where they are headed.

Note that based on the lay of the land, this was a no brainer. They never saw us and we had the wind as perfect as it could be.

So we cut through and walk down the other side of the hedgerow. We are just about the get to the other side of the trail they are going to come through, but instead of just standing there and waiting. $%^&head decides to go ahead of me in one of those "Great Moron Hunter" head down positions. I tell him to wait, but he ignores me and walks right to the trail. Then I watch in amazement as he make a right onto the trail and starts walking toward the deer who were now just 50 yards form the corner and would have come right to us in a few minutes. He draws back his bow and takes a 60 yard shot in medium-heavy rain. Then he turns to me and tells me he thinks he got her right in the heart! He was close to getting a shot in the jaw. That would have been the only shot he was going to connect with.

I was so ****ed. Mostly because I though that he was selfish for running up to shoot one of the deer instead of trying to go for a double. But also because he had no chance to begin with. He didn't even have a range finder.
If only one deer came through I would have let the kid take it, but selfishness is worse than stupidity for me in most cases.

He even had the balls to try and tell me that he found the deer the next day and this guy helped him field dress it.
I told him that he probably shouldn't eat the meat since it was so warm. Ultimately, he told so many guys these BS stories that he was laughed off the farm.

Best one I heard lately is that it is easily possible to get 3100fps from a 30-06 with a 180gr bullet out of a 22 and 24" barrel.

I have a pretty good story of some stupid turkey hunters. A buddy and I are hunting MO turkey in the fall on private land. We busted up a flock before it got light. We set up about 75 yards apart with some decoys set up in the area we busted the birds. A little while after the sun rises we start to hear the jakes and hens call back and forth, so we start calling. Next thing I hear is a shotgun blast off, but it wasn't in the direction of my buddy. A second later, another shot and then I hear my buddy start yelling!! This stupid guy hears some turkey (my buddy and I) and belly crawls up to the top of the ridge from the opposite side we are set up on. He sees our decoy and desides to shoot. He didn't just shoot once, this idiot shot twice!! Well, just beyond our decoys from where this guy was shooting in the prone position was my hunting buddy. He got blasted twice with #4 shot. It didn't hurt him because it was cold out that fall morning so he had plenty of clothes on. The stupid city hunter just stood up and walked away. After regrouping and venting some frustration about the incident, we decide to leave and go tell the landowner. As we are walking back to the truck, we see this dummy and his two other idiot friends he was hunting with, trespassing on the neighboring land. They are walking in a line on the edge of a field and just happened to bust up a couple of turkey about 50 yards in front of them. Well, you guessed it, as if they were qual hunting or something, all three guys unload on the turkey as they flew away from them. I was completely shocked that there were such stupid people out there. After talking to the landowner, we found out that these men lived in the city and worked with the landowner. We told him about the incident and told him that his co-workers were not good hunters.

My favorite story to date is a bow that can shoot 460fps. A coworker of Lerch and mine said his brother had such a bow. I called him on it, and said I would bring my chrono to work and we'd test it. He stuttered around for awhile and then, after a phone call to his brother, said it was 416 fps. I told him I'd bet him $100 that the bow was not this fast. After somemore stuttering around we settled on 400 fps as the wager.

I brought my chrono to work and we shot the bow over it.

365 fps
367 fps
370 fps

They moaned around and said that the chrono was off. The coworker then went out and shot some shotgun shells over it. They too were slower than than the published velocity. He did some math and came back saying the chrono was 10% off.

I threw some math back @ him. If he was correct, my 300 RUM was shooting the 125 gr BT @ 4334 FPS!!!! My .243 was shooting a 55 gr BT @ 4600 FPS!!!! Lerch's 22-250 was shooting a 55 gr BT @ 4125 FPS!!!!

Still haven't seen my money. I tried like hell, but it was clear that the only way I was going to get it was if I drug him out in the street and kicked the crap out of him, so I just let it go.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.