The dumbest thing you have ever heard..

The same guy that BJ is talking about once told me that because we use drop charts for shooting past 1000yds it would just be like stepping up to the shotgun range and having some one tell you exactly where to aim, what choke to use, when to shoot, and that it really isn't very hard to hit a pdog past 1k.

I would kill him but he's my brother in law /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

One time we had a customer send back a muzzleloader because he said it wouldn't shoot accuratly. He said that at 25yds it shot 2 inches to the left, so he stepped back to 50 yds and it shot 4inches to the left. After this he stepped back to 100yds and it shot over a half a foot to the left and this was just unacceptable. Obviously there was some major flaw in the production of this rifle.

Apparently adjusting the scope turrets was a sin.

OK one more!
Had a customer come in and buy a box of win.270's for deer season last year. He came in later that day and was ****ed because he had missed four easy shots at a big 10 point buck. He said he was sure the ammo was bad because the rounds didn't have much recoil.
I asked to see the gun and just as I thought it was a 30-06 not a 270 win. I told him I had found the problem, it was the nut on the end of the recoil pad and then I sold him a box of 30-06 shells.

OK one more, this is to much fun.
Had a doctor come in to buy a custom 7STW for a big Elk hunt, He wanted only the best of everything rifle, scope, ammo, the works. We had the package ready in a week with plenty of time for him to sight in and get familiar with the gun before the trip, When he came in I told him we had bore sighted the rifle for him at no cost.
Well a week later I get a call from New Mexico from one mad doctor his rifle was three feet off at 100 yds and he had missed a bull because of our failure to sight in his gun properly. I told him I had not sighted in his gun at which he got madder and called me a liar that I had told him I had bore sighted his gun for free. I then explained to him what bore sighting was and that he still needed to sight the gun in at the range.

not the dumbest,just most recient. this past weekend. wife and i went to a gathering and a few know i was "into" long range hunting..so to "break-the-ice"...stories of their own flew! best was we took a 4x4 sheet of plywood to 700yds and my .270 wby mag shot the best group of all and it was only 15" low? my stupid look made him also add we were sighted in at 300yds,maybe a little higher? just for fun i ran a 150gr at 3132fps at 300yd zero and it was over 6'......at 700....the gravel in front must have been flying nicely that day.i should have asked which rangefinder he uses? but i was being nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif this is fun now: ran jb calculations and 25" drop is all i can get but here it is: .270wby mag 150gr needs 4500fps 2.0 bc and still has a 25" drop at 700. kirby can your allen mag do it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Woman walks into the business at which I worked, and expressed that she was interested in purchasing a pistol for self defense. Money was a mojor factor, and she had a preferance towards a semiauto, so she started filling out the paperwork for a Ruger 9mm. This woman seemed a little off, but nothing major, until we all heard the story after she left. She had told one of my coworkers that she was always being harassed, and really wanted the gun in case she had to defend herself. She told another that she was being harassed by the police following "the fire". She had obvious burn scars on most areas I could see... and was kind enough to share the story why...

A few days after having some of thoe acrylic fingernails glued on, one of them popped off, and she decided that she would go ahead and take off the rest. She went down to the salon that had applied the nails, and they removed them with a process that started by a soak in warmed acetone. The nails were removed cleanly, but at a price that she considered outrageous. A few weeks later when the next set of acrylics were showing wear, rather than going to the salon, she headed to home depot, and picked up a large can of acetone. After arriving home, she placed the ( I am assuming from the size she demonstrated with her hands) 1 qt can (metal) of acetone in the microwave presses the buttons she felt approprate, and headed to the restroom for a nail file. She returned to the kitchen after hearing the smoke alarm to find the microwave on fire, and flames spreading from the door. She opens the door on the microwave to put out the fire, which immediately flashes out of the microwave. She swings the door closed, grabs ahold of the microwave, intending to lift it, and place it in the sink. When she lifts the microwave, the flaming acetone can topples over, immediately pouring a portion of its contents onto the lower cabinets, igniting them. She then attempts to subdue the fire with the little sprayer attached to the sink, and by throwing water soaked rags onto the fire. Somehow, she manages to extinguish the cabinets, and again attempts to lift the (still flaming) microwave to put it into the sink, this time getting far enough into the process that she spills acetone not only onto the cabinet, but herself as well. She runs from the now blindingly smoke filled house, where someone who I understood to be a neighbor who was setting up a sprinkler in the front yard put her out with a garden hose.
After the mentioned man put her out, he called 911. The police were very helpful... untill the fire department and exited the front door with the remains of the acetone can, a couple of other chemicals, and the walmart bag from the days shopping which happened to contained a very large number of boxes of allergy and cold pills containing pseudoephedrine, a substance commonly used to make methanphetamine. The reason she told the police for having such a large number of these pills was that they had been talking about outlawing them on the news (and they have since been regulated in OKLAHOMA) and since her husband used them all the time, so she had better stock up.
A quick search at www.oscn.net found that her now exhusband had 3 felony drug convictions.
So after a brief meeting of all the staff, we decided that it might be a bad idea to arm this woman, and her NICS paperwork went to the shreader.
My boss, ever the eloquent orator, managed to find words other than "we decided that you might be too stupid to own a firearm" to tell her of the decision.

I had a customer that wanted a rifle for home defense. He claimed that he didn't plan on shooting anyone. He just wanted something to "jab" at anyone that wouldn't get away from his door. "You know, just something to stuff in their face." as he put it.

In a somewhat related story I did get in trouble because when a Californian came in to buy a nonres hunting license I would say "I'm sorry, you're from California. I can't sell you a hunting license." when they presented their I.D. Well I would quickly let them off the hook and say that I was just joking. Everyone thought it was funny except for a certain lady that didn't laugh. Her son (about 20 yrs old) thought it was funny but she didn't even crack a smile. She did however let my manager know. I was asked to keep my "humor" amongst the employees.

I also told a few customers that they had to notch their deer or elk tag for the day they would shoot their animal... while they were still in the store. "How the hell am I supposed to know what day I'm shooting my deer?" they would ask. I'd say "look, you are going up hunting this saturday and sunday right? Well you have a 50/50 chance of being right." A few of them actually whipped out the ol' pocket knife to put in the notches before I told them I was just kidding. I never had any one complain about that one. Everyone got a chuckle out of it. I even was able to get a wink to their buddies if they had one with them and the buddy would play along. "OH yeah dude, new rule this year. I don't know what fish & game was thinking but I got mine notched for this coming sunday. I'll show you when we get home." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That was alot of fun.

a neighborhood guy decided he wanted to start deer hunting so he kept swapping with local boys and dealers until he had enough equity to purchase a rifle and scope. The dealer put the scope on for him and bore sighted it for him and he went on his merry way. He put up a sheet of plywood with circles drawn on it in preparation to sight it for 100 yards but after shooting a whole box of bullets and not being able to hit the 4X8 sheet he went back and bought another box and told the dealer his story and the dealer suggested moving up to 50 or 25 yards to get it on paper and he did but after 2 more boxes of ammo and no sight in yet he decided to ask some more experienced hunters for help and when we tried to remove the caps over the turrets to sight it in for him they were so tight we needed a pair of vice grips to get them off and when he saw us screwing them off he said "I didn't know they came off" to which we burst into tears laughing!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif He had wasted 3 boxes of ammo turning the turret covers tighter and tighter. What a moron! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.