The dumbest thing you have ever heard

I once ran into a "super sniper" that worked for "Blackwater" in Iraq war.
He explained to me the difference in the 5.56(as compared to a 223) was the rifling in the
5.56 was designed to get the bullet to tumble in the air. That made it more accurate and deadly
when it hit the body because it tumbled around inside the body and didn't exit.

This guy was employed by a friend of mine. I told my friend to never believe a single thing this guy says. I said no way was this guy ever a sniper. Didn't take long for his true character to show through.

A guy was telling me about his hunt when I was working the LGS 20 years ago. He said he didn't see much but got off a couple "sound shots". I asked what that was an he explained that he heard a sound in the brush and shot at it...
I have heard that one also. We had several sight shots, and several sound shots, but we never found any blood.

You've seen lead bullets melt down from air friction before they hit their target?
Pretty sure this is a true story. I think it was in PO Ackleys book that I read about bullets actually disintegrating in the air before they hit the target. Even at 20 yards a 22 cal bullet would end up looking like little flecks all over the paper like bird shot. This was when they were first trying to push lead bullets "super fast" in 22 cal.(think similar to a 22 LR lead head in a 223, 22-250, 220 swift etc)

Pretty sure this is a true story. I think it was in PO Ackleys book that I read about bullets actually disintegrating in the air before they hit the target. Even at 20 yards a 22 cal bullet would end up looking like little flecks all over the paper like bird shot. This was when they were first trying to push lead bullets "super fast" in 22 cal.(think similar to a 22 LR lead head in a 223, 22-250, 220 swift etc)

It wasn't the air killing the bullets, it was the extreme fast throat erosion and the launch speeds that would pull bullet apart on launch. In the early 2000s it was a real problem with the massively overbore 223 and 243 projectiles designed for much lower velocity cartridges.

As the fire cracking would start you'd have an occasional dusting as the first few inches of barrel began to resemble alligator skin.

Some of the early overbore 6mms launching 6br projectiles would do this, also seemed common with some of the varmint bullets in 223.

Bullets coming apart in flight is not the same as bullet diameter burning off due to air friction. Lead, jacketed, and monos do not burn down to smaller diameters because of air friction. I've yet to find a molten mass in the dirt berm at any club I've ever shot at, and I've recovered a lot of bullets just because of my curious nature.

Almost every bullet manufacturer makes some bullets with plastic ballistic tips of one flavor or another. Those tips would burn away mid-flight long before the bullets themselves would burn away, if air friction was that big of an issue. Lots of guys have recovered the tips, themselves, in fine shape.

If I'm wrong about this, I'd be interested in seeing the evidence.

The number of times I've heard it suggested that if a bullet is going too fast it "doesn't have time to expand" and just pencils through. What a load of 💩 that is SO EASY TO DISPROVE. the only reason people still beleive that is because they want to.

And not just your typical redneck that owns a gun And makes a box of "shells", as they call them, last a decade and gets a little too chatty after a few beers while not knowing what they're talking about around the camp fire (yes that's very specific, yes I know many of these as well - it's an innocent harmless ignorance, totally forgivable, some people have lots to say and nothing to talk about and you just accept that about them and love them for who they are warts and all 🤣)

But I'm talking people who ABSOLUTELY have zero reason to not know how daft this readily disproven theory is. Experienced and
Well versed hunters and shooters still spout this nonsense. Shoot literally anything of mass, whether a critter, a chunk of wood, a gel block, a water jug, I don't care, and when everything is equal except velocity, the faster bullet always expands or blows up more violently and quickly. Always. There is no threshold velocity beyond which a soft point magically acts like a solid. And I've never once seen any real proof to back up the theory. Have seen a mountain of proof to refute it. Sort of like that "dwell time" nonsense some folks peddle.

The expansion of bullets has NOTHING to do with how much "time to expand" they have. NOTHING!!!! Velocity, distance traversed, target resistance, bullet construction, sectional density. Things like that. You know….things that are REAL!!! 🥴Perhaps rotational velocity affects it too, maybe.

Last edited:
"A 30-378 wby may be bigger... but the 300wby has more OOOOMMPPHH!!!"
Oh hahaha that reminds me of high school buffoonery. Guys in class back in the day asking each other what they were shooting that November for deer season…one guy says

".270"

The reply "that's a gun for *******". (It's censored…let's go with "wimps")

"Well what are you shooting?"

Beaming with macho pride "a .30-30 Winchester, a man's rifle!"

"The .270 is a bigger gun than the .30-30"

"Bull 💩 you idiot, mines a 30 cal, yours is smaller…."

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Some truly "high caliber" (pun intended) conversation had in the school machine shop!

Maybe the dumbest hunting/shooting interaction I've ever had was a few months back at the range while waiting for a bench to open up. Couple guys in their mid-20's are working to get a rifle bore sighted. The seemingly more experienced of the two is acting as spotter/advisor and offering questionable marksmanship advice. He strikes up conversation with me so I inquire if his friend is a first-time shooter: "Yeah he just bought his very first rifle. He doesn't know what he's doing so I'm helping him zero it before deer season"…. after a few more minutes they're ready to light off the first rounds and he starts to warn people on adjacent benches that it's gonna be loud. The shot absolutely blows all the neighboring shooters out, especially the 10 year old girl and her dad directly to the right of the muzzle brake.

Me: "What in the hell is he shooting?"

Him: "A 338 Lapua Magnum"

Me: "And you told him to buy that?!"

Him: "Well I wanted him to get a 308. But he'll be able to shoot to 1000 yds with this" 🙄

Him: * Struggling to spot shots from offhand binos so I let them borrow my spotter * "Ooooh that's not great, we need to shoot another group"

6 shots in and the shooter is begging for a break, the people up/down the line are agitated by the muzzle blasts. Spotter persuades him to shoot one more group, then decides to jump in and rips off his own group. Meanwhile the father and daughter are visibly upset and just quit shooting. Spotter asks me to survey the target. It resembles a shotgun pattern and is about 10" at 100 yds.

Him: "Well what do you think?"

Me (noticing the scope is some cheap 3-9): "Um… I don't think he's quite ready for deer, but he's definitely not taking this thing to 1000 yds"

Him: "What? That rifle will easily shoot out to 1000"

Me: "Yes, this rifle will even exceed that, but HE won't. * glancing at the 20 rd box of cartridges with a big $149.99 pricetag on it * "…and you know you can't hunt with these here, right?" (Non-lead requirements)

The shooter blurts out: "WHAT?! He told me those are a good hunting bullet. I bought five boxes!"

Recent Posts