Swaro X5i or stay with March 2.5-25x52?

pwrdbycotn

I'm currently running a March 5-32x52 on a 300 RUM. I tend to get bored with guns and optics and start looking at trying different things. I currently have a 6.5 GAP and 28 Nosler both running a March 2.5-25x52 and I love those scopes! I've been eyeing the Swaro X5i to put on the 300 in place of the 5-32 March. All the reviews sound really good and it has the features I'm looking for. I guess I'm just wanting to hear some other testimony before I pull the March and order the Swaro. I'm trying to decide between buying the X5i or another 2.5-25 March.
Anyone have any experience with the X5i?

I'm currently running a March 5-32x52 on a 300 RUM. I tend to get bored with guns and optics and start looking at trying different things. I currently have a 6.5 GAP and 28 Nosler both running a March 2.5-25x52 and I love those scopes! I've been eyeing the Swaro X5i to put on the 300 in place of the 5-32 March. All the reviews sound really good and it has the features I'm looking for. I guess I'm just wanting to hear some other testimony before I pull the March and order the Swaro. I'm trying to decide between buying the X5i or another 2.5-25 March.
Anyone have any experience with the X5i?

I have a non illuminated x5, its a great scope. I've compared it to a nightforce and its brighter and lighter from my experience. I don't have any experience with March, but my buddy has a couple and says they aren't as bright or clear as even a nightforce. So it should be a significant upgrade.

I have a non illuminated x5, its a great scope. I've compared it to a nightforce and its brighter and lighter from my experience. I don't have any experience with March, but my buddy has a couple and says they aren't as bright or clear as even a nightforce. So it should be a significant upgrade.

His eyes may have seen it that way but my eyes, and most other people who have compared March and Nightforce see it the other way around. Both companies build a great scope.

His eyes may have seen it that way but my eyes, and most other people who have compared March and Nightforce see it the other way around. Both companies build a great scope.

To be fair he was referring to the actar enhanced and low light conditions specifically.

Of course Swaro has a better glass and overall optical quality. But you guys in the US mostly hunt on the daylight, not like we Europeans in dark, low light conditions. So I would prefer March because the zoom range. But it also depends on your typical hunting conditions - shorter/longer range, terrain, etc.
Last detail, the turret on Swaro is big as a oil barrel. March looks more elegant.

Of course Swaro has a better glass and overall optical quality. But you guys in the US mostly hunt on the daylight, not like we Europeans in dark, low light conditions. So I would prefer March because the zoom range. But it also depends on your typical hunting conditions - shorter/longer range, terrain, etc.
Last detail, the turret on Swaro is big as a oil barrel. March looks more elegant.

Funny that you mention the turret, it's the main reason I haven't already purchased the Swaro.
Typical conditions where I use this gun is on flatter or rolling hills terrain, with shots being 350-750 yards, most of the time around 575 yards.

Swarovski is not a significant upgrade over March. Not an upgrade over Nightforce either. I have two March and four NF. Swarovski has bright glass and are light. Not as polished or durable. Those turrets on the Swarovski are too high and too ugly.

March 2.5-25x52 for me has better glass than my Nxs, brighter & crisper, & a bit better in my eyes than the ATACR & Swaro I compared with. March has more positive feel low height turrets, as well. Stout built scope. Decent weight, length. March was better for me than my Nxs in low light just comparing the two at home outside.
The Swaro for me had great glass but not better than March, and I like the low turrets, & low weight of the March for my new build. I couldn't warm up to the Swaro turrets. Can't go wrong with either one, comes down to personal needs & preference.

I have been looking at another scope, with the Swarovski and March being considered. I really like the weight and configuration of the March but was hesitating because of some negatives about turret reproducibility/accuracy. I understand that many of these negative reports were attributed the March's use of the older MIL calibration, and not the actual turret performance. I'm interested in the turret performance of the March, MOA model. Can anyone comment on this?

I can only attest to turret repeatability on the two 2.5x25's and the one 5-32 that I have used. The 5-32 has taken whitetail from 70-562 yards and has target hunted out to 1000. One of the 2.5-25's took a whitetail at 588 and another at 525 this fall. It has also targeted out to 1000. The other 2.5-25 has only been used on one deer at 140 yards but,again, shot targets quite a bit. All three of them have dialed perfectly and returned to zero each time. Box tests on all three have performed flawlessly. I don't think you could find another brand that tracks more accurately than the March.

Tracking is perfect as stated, always on the mark and returns to zero. The zero stop is the easiest to set I have ever used. When it's on zero you simply screw the inner ring of the cap down until it bottoms out. Done. The clicks have a nice positive feel, not too tight, not too soft, and the turrets are very low profile, similar to a VX-6(not the target turrets). All this combined with superb glass and light weight(23oz), a huge amount of elevation range(120 MOA), and 10x zoom....it's a perfect hunting scope.

I pulled the trigger on the Swarovski today. I know the turrets are ugly, but with two March scopes that will still be in my stable, I wanted to try something different. I'll be selling the 5-32 March to fund the Swaro.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.