March 2.5-25x52 vs….

shooters

I'm really wanting to purchase a March. I've no experience or have even held one. What I currently have are….

Kahles 318i, 525i, a few Swaro X5i's, a few ATACR's, NX8, Zeiss V6's and a handful of Mark5HD's.

The March is appealing due to its reliability, tracking, and mostly the size and weight. But, I've heard they suffer from poor eyebox, terribly touchy parallax and darkening over 20 power. So for those who own one, or have compared to the above scopes that I own, any infor or feedback would be great. I'm tired of slapping 30-38oz optics on full carbon builds, but don't want to suffer optically.

I just picked up my second March. Both of mine are 42MM objective. I haven't mounted the 2.5-25 yet but I was just playing with it. They eyebox does get a little touchy at max power but I don't see any darkening with either of the ones I have. I have carried the 3-24 March F on a bunch of backcountry hunts, a few times in a scabbard. It's seen it's share of abuse honestly a lot of that abuse was more than most optics probably experience- no problems. The parallax has not bothered me the way I hear others gripe. You go through a lot of focus range in a short amount of twist. Once you get used to it, it's not that bad.

Against the NX8 which I have never owned but looked through several - I did not like that scope as much as I wanted to. My take was that optically it wasn't as clear or crisp, equally as tight of an eye box (maybe tighter on the NX8) and didn't play with parallax enough to say.

Against the MK5 - This is like apples to oranges if you ask me. The MK5 is decent. Weighs a little less. Less magnification range. Bigger eye relief. Not as robust. Optically I guess on par with each other as far as clarity with maybe even a nod to Leopold on brightness/crispness, maybe.

My next build will be a 6.5x47 built heavy. I will put a 52MM March on it.

I hear you on not wanting to add weight. That's what led me to them. I don't know why no one makes scope tubes from titanium to get a scope with this kind of power and versatility down to maybe 16 ounces. I'd buy one.

I just picked up my second March. Both of mine are 42MM objective. I haven't mounted the 2.5-25 yet but I was just playing with it. They eyebox does get a little touchy at max power but I don't see any darkening with either of the ones I have. I have carried the 3-24 March F on a bunch of backcountry hunts, a few times in a scabbard. It's seen it's share of abuse honestly a lot of that abuse was more than most optics probably experience- no problems. The parallax has not bothered me the way I hear others gripe. You go through a lot of focus range in a short amount of twist. Once you get used to it, it's not that bad.

Against the NX8 which I have never owned but looked through several - I did not like that scope as much as I wanted to. My take was that optically it wasn't as clear or crisp, equally as tight of an eye box (maybe tighter on the NX8) and didn't play with parallax enough to say.

Against the MK5 - This is like apples to oranges if you ask me. The MK5 is decent. Weighs a little less. Less magnification range. Bigger eye relief. Not as robust. Optically I guess on par with each other as far as clarity with maybe even a nod to Leopold on brightness/crispness, maybe.

My next build will be a 6.5x47 built heavy. I will put a 52MM March on it.

I hear you on not wanting to add weight. That's what led me to them. I don't know why no one makes scope tubes from titanium to get a scope with this kind of power and versatility down to maybe 16 ounces. I'd buy one.
Excellent! Thanks for the info. Honestly was hoping the March would stand out optically from the Leupold. Since I feel the NX8, the Kahles and Swaros I have are better than the Mark 5 in that area. Was hoping the March was at least as good as the others.

I'm really wanting to purchase a March. I've no experience or have even held one. What I currently have are….

Kahles 318i, 525i, a few Swaro X5i's, a few ATACR's, NX8, Zeiss V6's and a handful of Mark5HD's.

The March is appealing due to its reliability, tracking, and mostly the size and weight. But, I've heard they suffer from poor eyebox, terribly touchy parallax and darkening over 20 power. So for those who own one, or have compared to the above scopes that I own, any infor or feedback would be great. I'm tired of slapping 30-38oz optics on full carbon builds, but don't want to suffer optically.
Send a note to Mari Morita, ask her if she can loan you the demo 2.5-25x52 in MTR3 reticle. I just returned it to their point man in TX who handles the demo units. I had it mounted on my 30 Nosler

If she agrees, you will be asked to sign an agreement document. Tell Mari you got her name and email from Nez Rongero.

[email protected]

Deon is on holiday break through the 4th, you may not get an answer right away. She does check her email from time to time though.

20211018_163406.jpg
20211018_163349.jpg

Last edited:
I had a non-illuminated 2.5-25 x 42 scope on a light weight 300 wsm. I really liked the scope and it tracked great with no issues at all going out to 1000 yards and back zero. The one thing I didn't like, and I didn't find this out until an actual hunting situation was the reticle. It had the MTR-1 reticle and it is pretty fine without any thick posts out on the ends of it. While hunting one morning I thought I saw something moving in the timber and threw up the scope on it only to not be able to see the crosshairs in the dark timber. Good thing it wasn't a nice big buck because I don't think I could have gotten off a shot. I sold the scope after that hunting season. I would buy another but it would have a reticle more like the MTR-3.

Excellent! Thanks for the info. Honestly was hoping the March would stand out optically from the Leupold. Since I feel the NX8, the Kahles and Swaros I have are better than the Mark 5 in that area. Was hoping the March was at least as good as the others.
A lot of this is subjective and hard to asess unless you look through it yourself. On top of that, even looking at a store- do you sell yourself short because the diopter wasn't set right? Order one from a retailer that has free returns and see what you think.

My mark 5 stands out optically above my March.5-25x56 vrs 3-24x52 F1.My march 6-7 years old?Survived many mountain hunt on a 7# 338NM,braked,scope eater.At 440 to fence behind house I can see barbs clear,not with march.Im use to it had for years,real tough on focus/paralax past 20.I use quite a bit counting points etc.The scope to 20x is like my mark 4,or my friends z5 swaro.My mark 5 is a massive scope,like the size and low turrets on March,I front carry a lot.Greyfox on here really likes his march,mine might be early one and stuff is better now.I am going to try find one local that some one has to look thru,they perfect for a LR packer.Mines still on my 338,last shot ,not far 474,but has 45mph wind,dropped buck in his tracks.Was in scope everyday,flopped out checking the bucks out from near to miles.

I have used the march 2.5x25 x42 for the last 3+ years.
I use it on my match rifle, switch it over to one of my 1000yd any rifles then use it indoors in the winter starting next week at 50 feet.
The zeroes are repeatable and the optics are better than my leupolds and my friends night force scopes.
Steve Bair

Shooters, which on your list did you favor most for size weight,optics.I like mils the K 318i is heavier than i like ,TT 315M,PROBLY LOVE,BUT$$$,NX8FI,like the specs havent used one,specs look good to on Mark 5 3-18x44,and love optics on my larger.ACTACR 4-16x42,like 20 on top end.My optics sit on 338NM,has good reach.Also PMII 3-20x50?Think im going send my March in its down season for that rifle.

I've had a couple MK5s and just got a NX8. I'm a huge fan of the MK5. Aside from the fact they only offer 50 mm objectives and the eye box which is a little less forgiving than the MK5 but not as horrible as advertised, I found I like the glass and parallax a little better on the NX8. I'm running both no real complaints.

Shooters, which on your list did you favor most for size weight,optics.I like mils the K 318i is heavier than i like ,TT 315M,PROBLY LOVE,BUT$$$,NX8FI,like the specs havent used one,specs look good to on Mark 5 3-18x44,and love optics on my larger.ACTACR 4-16x42,like 20 on top end.My optics sit on 338NM,has good reach.Also PMII 3-20x50?Think im going send my March in its down season for that rifle.

My favorite scope optically is my Kahles 318i (just got 2 weeks ago) or my well used Kahles 525i. I feel it has the best resolution and light gathering out of it the ATACR, Mark5HD, Swaros, NX8 and Zeiss's. And it's SMALL! And actually, over all I'd pick the 318i for shooting steel and hunting. The only draw backs for me on the Kahles are the smaller reticle on low power (FFP) and the "ring" inside the scope that stops any CA from what I understand. It's about near perfect. Just wish it wasn't 32oz. That's why the March is on my list. BUT, I guess I'm weird. I'd take 4-6oz more on an optic if it meant a visible difference optically. That's what has me slightly worried about the March. But with the demo to try, that might change things.