Leupold vx6hd 4-24x52 vs march 2.5-25x52

Kevin, thanks for your reply.
I just got the Leupold scope recently .
I called Leupold about the 2 revolution limit and they told me that the turret is limited to 2 revs, or 38 MOA.
I'll see if I can override that by pushing the silver button.

You're welcome. If your Leupold has the ZL2 zero stop, you do not push the button in to turn from your zero to the first 38 MOA up. The button on the ZL2 turrets is only to override the 38 MOA limits, in either direction. Do be aware that if you use the button, you can get lost in your adjustments if you don't pay close attention to where you are and make sure to return to your proper zero.

Incidently, 38 MOA up gets me to 1,000 yards, at 70°F @ sea level, with 175gr SMKs running 2,630 fps out of my 308 Win. I believe that is why Leupold went with the 38 MOA, two turn limit. It would get you a good bit further with many other cartridges using high BC bullets.

Kevin, thanks for your reply.
I just got the Leupold scope recently .
I called Leupold about the 2 revolution limit and they told me that the turret is limited to 2 revs, or 38 MOA.
I'll see if I can override that by pushing the silver button.

Update...
I checked my VX-6HH elevation turret and it IS limited to 38MOA up.

smk1000plus, Thanks for the info on the March turrets.

Last edited:
Update...
I checked the VX-6HH turret and it IS limited to 38MOA up adjustment.

Now, I'm still looking for information on the March turrets per my previous post.

Hate that... Is your VX-6 HD one of the older ones that had the original Leupold Zero Lock and not the ZL2? Does it have a silver button on the elevation turret?

Hate that... Is your VX-6 HD one of the older ones that had the original Leupold Zero Lock and not the ZL2? Does it have a silver button on the elevation turret?

My scope is the new model with the silver button. I push the silver button to unlock the stop to dial up the elevation. After the first revolution the button automatically goes down to indicate the second revolution. At the end of the second revolution it stops at 38 MOA UP.

If you are worried about enough dial up the new VX5HD and the new Mark 5 have 3 revolution turrets.

I've been slowly transitioning all of my scopes over to VX5/6HD glass with the exception of one Swarovski. I think the glass is great, the CDS-ZL2 is easy to use (and hard to mess up while hunting). I'm not shooting past 500 with regularity but the dialing I do I haven't had issues.

If you are worried about enough dial up the new VX5HD and the new Mark 5 have 3 revolution turrets.

I've been slowly transitioning all of my scopes over to VX5/6HD glass with the exception of one Swarovski. I think the glass is great, the CDS-ZL2 is easy to use (and hard to mess up while hunting). I'm not shooting past 500 with regularity but the dialing I do I haven't had issues.

Duckhunter.... Thanks for the info on the new 3 revolution turrets.

Have you found the tracking of the Leupold turrets to be accurate and repeatable?

I wonder if my 3 month new VX-6HD scope turret could be upgraded to the 3 revolution turret.

Last edited:
Ive tested both scopes w a jig I have that allows you to measure how much the reticle moves due to recoil. I tested 2 different leupold vx6hd scopes. They both moved 1/2 moa due to recoil in less than 10 shots. March was perfect. The jig allows you to put two scopes on it and you then line their crosshairs up so they coincide at the same spot on the target. The jig mounts to your rifle. You then start shooting and watch the cross hairs move apart. I use my Kahles 1050 scope as the base scope to measure against. That scope is perfect. Never moves. All the Kahles scopes Ive tested have been perfect which is why I have them on my personal rifles and sell them to customers ridiculously cheap. That way they put it on their rifles vs something else that will move. The nf nxs my buddy tested w the jig only moved 1/8 moa. Its about as close to perfect as youll get without getting a march or kahles.

Looking to buy a new scope for a lightweight 6.5 sst . Im considering a leupold vx6hd 4-24x52 and also the march 2.5-25x52 how do these compare?
I think the Swarovski Z5 5-25-52 P BT should be considered. it is super light @ under 20 oz and it is clear as a crystal. I have NF 8-32 NXS and 5-25 ATACR and the $1200 Z5 is super clear. It is limited, being a 1" tube, but there are some built in help in the reticle. But for a light weight, light recoil rifle it is a great value.

I don't know about "very different".
Both have:
Good low mag (within 1.5x)
Good high mag (within 1x)
Both fairly lightweight under 24oz
Both are SFP
Both have illuminated reticle options
Comparable glass (Leupold might be slightly better to my eyes)
March has better turrets
March has better tracking
Leupold probably has easier warranty to work with

I own a March F 3-24×52 FFP and love it.
I do not own any 4-24×52 VX-6HDs, but have shot behind 5 or 6 of them.

I agree with all of this adding that my March F 3-24x42 parallax adjustment range was very narrow if that makes sense. It takes a little more fine adjustment to set parallax correctly. Leupolds have a wider, less sensitive adjustment range.

Ive tested both scopes w a jig I have that allows you to measure how much the reticle moves due to recoil. I tested 2 different leupold vx6hd scopes. They both moved 1/2 moa due to recoil in less than 10 shots. March was perfect. The jig allows you to put two scopes on it and you then line their crosshairs up so they coincide at the same spot on the target. The jig mounts to your rifle. You then start shooting and watch the cross hairs move apart. I use my Kahles 1050 scope as the base scope to measure against. That scope is perfect. Never moves. All the Kahles scopes Ive tested have been perfect which is why I have them on my personal rifles and sell them to customers ridiculously cheap. That way they put it on their rifles vs something else that will move. The nf nxs my buddy tested w the jig only moved 1/8 moa. Its about as close to perfect as youll get without getting a march or kahles.

Very interesting. I have never seen this at all with two Leupolds I shoot past 1000 yards with regularly. My March, Razor, NXS and SB have all held POA POI at 1000+. The only scopes I have issue with have been Vortex PST's turrets.

FWIW I ran the March side by side against a Bushnell LRHS and SB Klassik to determine which would be the better hunting scope. The SB had the best glass hands down followed by the March. The Bushnell had the best reticle - GAP. Overall the March was the best. March F 3-24x42 FFP Mil Mil FML

Very interesting. I have never seen this at all with two Leupolds I shoot past 1000 yards with regularly. My March, Razor, NXS and SB have all held POA POI at 1000+. The only scopes I have issue with have been Vortex PST's turrets.

FWIW I ran the March side by side against a Bushnell LRHS and SB Klassik to determine which would be the better hunting scope. The SB had the best glass hands down followed by the March. The Bushnell had the best reticle - GAP. Overall the March was the best. March F 3-24x42 FFP Mil Mil FML

Do you have a jig to measure the reticle movement? If not then you have no way of knowing that the reticle never moves. The jig makes it plain as day to see. Then when I tell a customer their scope is a piece of junk its not my opinion but fact based. I had a mark 5 move 3 moa on a customer in the middle of his range session for no reason. Little cartridges won't cause issues. However big magnums in lightweight rifles with effective brakes play hell on optics. The march scopes are awesome. I have an extra 2.5-25x52 on the shelf that Ive seriously contemplated putting on my lighter 300 norma improved vs the kahles k525i due to the weight savings and lower magnification. The only thing holding me back is the fact that I love the windage on the left side and parallax under the elevation turret w the k525i.