Ss brass options

elkaholic

I thought I would put up a new thread on the SS which covers the current options. As most of you know, I now have "ready to form" brass available in Norma that shoots very well. Another option is to go thru the same process that I, and a few of you, have used, and then Hydro form it rather than the cow method or just loading a bullet. I have a couple of pics that attempt to show the various methods. The pic on the left is a "ready to form" case as it is shipped to you. The one in the middle is the case on the left that has been put through the hydro die. The difference LOOKS subtle but the taper is blown out and the neck/shoulder junction is set. The shoulder is still somewhat rounded, which is typical even with the c-o-w forming method. The case on the right is after first full load firing. The hydro formed case will shoot just about as well, but just doesn't have the sharpness in the angles. The die pics are the Whidden hydro dies that I can get for anyone who might want to go that route. They are easy to use. You just put a used primer in the case to seal the hole, lube the case a little, and run it into the form die just like you would with your normal sizer die. You fill the case/die with H20 using the squeeze bottle provided, stick the plunger in the hole and give it a couple good whacks with the hammer. The die is preset so that it leaves about .010 over proper head space. When you run the case through your 6.5SS resize die, it expands the neck a little and pushes the shoulder back the additional .010". The part on the left in the die pic is an extra plunger setup for those who are not accurate with the hammer!!
6.5ss hydro die.jpg

SS hydro form steps.jpg

Hi Rich,

We use a hydo forming die on 338 LRKM and really like how it forms the brass. I do not like the COW method and had some 338 lapua brass screwed up fireforming with this method and it is messy.

As you know I am building a 6.5 SS and would be interested in getting hydo die from you.

Ray

What's the cost on a hydro die?
I've never used one before and with my old 6.5, I just purchased Norma 280 brass, resized the neck to 6.5, stuffed a 140gr NBT over a mild load of MagPro and had my formed shell.
Would the hydro die save me time or improve my barrel life? How complicated is the process?

Hi Rich,

We use a hydo forming die on 338 LRKM and really like how it forms the brass. I do not like the COW method and had some 338 lapua brass screwed up fireforming with this method and it is messy.

As you know I am building a 6.5 SS and would be interested in getting hydo die from you.

Ray

Hi Ray.......ya, the cow method has to be headspace properly before forming or you will have issues. The Hydro dies will be about $200 since I can not get a deal on them....Rich

What's the cost on a hydro die?
I've never used one before and with my old 6.5, I just purchased Norma 280 brass, resized the neck to 6.5, stuffed a 140gr NBT over a mild load of MagPro and had my formed shell.
Would the hydro die save me time or improve my barrel life? How complicated is the process?

I have used both and it is a toss up as far as I am concerned. It just depends on what the individual likes best. The dies will be about $200

Rich,
My buld is a ways out. At least six months for stock and barrel. I will order all the components as soon as parts start showing up.

Ray

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.