6.5 ss head stamped brass

elkaholic

I received some news today that was not exactly what I wanted to hear, and certainly not what I had been expecting. Having said that, I am determined to make this work if at all possible. The quote came in on the production of SS brass considerably higher than expected! I am going to put this out there to determine whether or not I can do this. The price came in at $3.00 apiece (my cost) when shipping is included and I was expecting something around $2.30. According to the manufacturer, there are some valid reasons, including a recent 37% increase in material costs. My plan was to sell the brass for no more than $3, which of course is now not possible. What I need to know is this. How much are you guys willing to pay for this brass? Is it worth doing? I do not plan on getting rich selling brass, but I don't want to put out $1000's for nothing either.
Please advise me as to your feelings on this......thanks/Rich

That's pretty steep man... I'm in agreement with you, $2.50 wasn't a deal-breaker, $3.00 was high, but doable... But $3.50+ is getting too rich for my blood.

I'm not sure about brass, but steel and steel scrap prices plummeted earlier this month cutting prices by nearly 30-40%... You might want to check to see if brass raw material prices have gone up or down, to see whether he's trying to put one over on you.

Would Norma or Lapua be willing to take on the challenge?

That's pretty steep man... I'm in agreement with you, $2.50 wasn't a deal-breaker, $3.00 was high, but doable... But $3.50+ is getting too rich for my blood.

I'm not sure about brass, but steel and steel scrap prices plummeted earlier this month cutting prices by nearly 30-40%... You might want to check to see if brass raw material prices have gone up or down, to see whether he's trying to put one over on you.

Would Norma or Lapua be willing to take on the challenge?

Norma, Lapua, Hornady, and probably a couple others, would be willing if I had a few hundred thousand to get started:D If it is going to happen, it will be Quality Cartridge........Rich

I don't have 1 of your chamberings, but like quite a few I have looked into it quite a bit, dies and brass availability deterred me this most recent time. If this is the price it would be it would keep me away. FWIW.

I don't have 1 of your chamberings, but like quite a few I have looked into it quite a bit, dies and brass availability deterred me this most recent time. If this is the price it would be it would keep me away. FWIW.

Thank you! I need to hear response both good and bad.......Rich

I agree here, but how hard is it to fireform brass for your SS's? I'm really interested in the 7ss for F-class.

For a hunting rig I can't imagine you'd need a ton of brass so the price stings but isn't going to kill you for a slick proprietary legitimate short action round to get off the ground.

Have you explored trying to sell the rights to the caliber to a company? You take a small royalty (or sell it outright) and get it into production B/c from the sounds of it the 7ss will make the wsm and rsaum obsolete. The 7s3... 7mm savage sherman shortmag ;)

With the release of 6.5 SAUM brass on the horizon would that make forming cases easier? $3+ a piece for brass just wouldn't happen for me. I'd rather make it and save a few bucks.

With the release of 6.5 SAUM brass on the horizon would that make forming cases easier? $3+ a piece for brass just wouldn't happen for me. I'd rather make it and save a few bucks.

I'd have to agree. If the round catches on someone will make brass then its a matter of time before others do too.

Rich I know this is tough to know but what is your estimate on how many reloadings you are going to get on their brass?

At $3.00 a case that would put it over what I think Lapua, Norma, an maybe RWS would cost. I may be wrong in thinking most would not be willing to spend that much for brass. I am retired and the large paydays are long gone. I think I would have to pass on it. Sorry to be a wet blanket man. I think I know how bad you want to make it happen but money is tight for a lot of folks, me included.
I sincerely hope you find a solution to the problem. It's a great idea.

I understand what all of you are saying! I was, and am, disappointed to say the least, but I am not giving up on making SOMETHING work! This case is just too good not to. I can get a dozen loads on the Norma brass that I have been using (maybe more) and it is very consistent. I am considering preparing a bunch to sell and work my way up that way. The problem with any of the manufactures is that you need 100,000 pieces or more to start, and that is out of my league.
Let me run this by you guys. What if I prepared the norma brass up to the point where you could fire form by simply loading a bullet (head spaced like an A.I.)? The brass would be top notch, neck turned, trimmed, chamfered, etc. I could probably sell it that way for about $2.25-$2.50 ea. I could do it for either the 6.5 or the 7 SS. Please let me know what you think.....thanks/Rich

I would undoubtedly do that. I would chamber a rifle for that. I've told countless people about this chambering, but the brass availability and preparation has turned so many off.

This is a truly revolutionary case that I, too, belive the shooting world needs to recognize.

Hard to pony up $3 per when 6.5 saum brass is slated to be half that and the new canoe style bottom metal getting 3.1" COAL and new medium length actions allowing 3.2" COAL.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.