How tough is Norma Head-Stamped 300 Win Mag Brass?

Norma brass is going to be tough to find. I use RWS and 77 grains of H-1000 with 208's and absolutely no pressure signs and 2900 fps. Can't get any faster than that out of any brass on the market. The brass is thick, and after I uniformed the primer pockets I still have to seat them on the press because of tight primer pockets, going to anneal every third firing and hope to get 7+ firings out of it. I fl resize (barely bumping shoulders back) after annealing and neck size with Lee Collet on the two firings that I don't anneal.

Norma brass is going to be tough to find. I use RWS and 77 grains of H-1000 with 208's and absolutely no pressure signs and 2900 fps. Can't get any faster than that out of any brass on the market. .

This is a good example of the difference in rifles and powder lots and why one needs to work up loads slowly. I have seen the same load in 2 300 win Sendero's in RWS brass that was too hot at 76 gr. But was fine at 74 or 75. Both the same rifles would chrono faster and would shoot the 77 gr load in WW or Lapua brass. This is also the same case with my 300 win custom testing Lapua and WW vs RWS brass. Lapua will spank the RWS for velocity every time due to it's larger case volume. The RWS is very very tough, but this is why I stated before you will give up some velocity with it. Velocity data was from an Oehler 35P.

Jeff

Let's bring this thread back from the dead!

Slightly off topic, but I have a lead on both RWS and Norma brass. Is the RWS worth the $2 a piece vs the $1.20 of the Norma?

Let's bring this thread back from the dead!

Slightly off topic, but I have a lead on both RWS and Norma brass. Is the RWS worth the $2 a piece vs the $1.20 of the Norma?

The RWS is very tough brass and good quality. Loaded to the same pressure the RWS will out last the Norma. But the RWS also has a lower case capacity and max charge weights will be a few grains lower than other brass with larger case volumes with some of the most popular 300 win powders.

There is also some Bertram brass available now for the 300 win. It is strong and great quality. Expect to pay more for the Bertram too but also expect it to last longer. In the end I have found high quality, strong brass to be the less expensive choice when you consider the number of firings you get.

Jeff

I was wondering the same thing, I have been using R-P brass but after 2 firings some of the primer pockets are real loose!
Was considering trying some Hornady brass as it worked well in my .204, anyone use hornady in their .300 win?

I agree about RP lately. As far as I'm concerned they can keep it off the shelves. From what I've used, Hornady is similar to Winchester. In one particular rifle, the exact load specifications transferred from Win to Hornady producing the same velocity and precision. Not sure about the durability of their belted stuff, though.

I've actually been impressed with what Nosler/Norma is kicking out lately for the 300 WM and the RUM series. It's far outlasting the RP crap that I was using. I've got some Nosler 338 RUM cases that are up to 10 firings now with nice tight primer pockets.

I agree about RP lately. As far as I'm concerned they can keep it off the shelves. From what I've used, Hornady is similar to Winchester. In one particular rifle, the exact load specifications transferred from Win to Hornady producing the same velocity and precision. Not sure about the durability of their belted stuff, though.

I've actually been impressed with what Nosler/Norma is kicking out lately for the 300 WM and the RUM series. It's far outlasting the RP crap that I was using. I've got some Nosler 338 RUM cases that are up to 10 firings now with nice tight primer pockets.

Thanks for the reply.

I can not speak for the 530 case head stuff, but if it is the same as the 550, it is tough as nails. I get a dozen or more loads out of my SS cases with pretty high pressure. The RP cases won't come anywhere near that......Rich

Regarding the prior question about comparison between Hornady and Norma 300WM brass: My experience in the past year has been that Hornady 300 WM is much softer than Norma. I showed signs of over pressure on the case heads with Hornady cases 4 grains lower using H1000 than with Norma. The problems with Hornady case overpressure did not seem as severe with RL23 but the Norma still allowed me higher velocities before signs of pressure. With the Hornady, it looked like I'd lose enough velocity using them with 190 VLDs that I gave up load development with Hornady and just stuck with Norma.

I have had no problems with my Norma brass and have some cases that have been reloaded 5 times but thus far I have only had to neck size the cases. At present, I'm happy enough with the Norma 300 WM brass to go the same route again in the future.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.