N570 options

TheFishBox

If you happened to have a fair amount of n570 what cartridge would you go with? I am looking for something to be in the 13'ish pound range, single shot is fine, lapua bolt face and I am hoping to have it be a hot rod with heavy for caliber bullets.

Ultimately I want something that is maxed out with n570 powder and will be a hammer for long range elk. What would you build?

33 xc is what I would build if I wanted an all out hotrod, .585 bolt face action, N570 and 13ish lbs for reaching really, really far out there. I have seen Ryan Pierce show loads with N570 and 300 Bergers @ 3300 fps from a 30" tube, reference this thread -

In a 33XC, the 275 grain Badlands precision Super Bulldozer II would give some out of this world performance. A 275 grain, .451 G7 bullet at roughly 3350+ fps......At 6500 ft elevation where I live, with a 100 yard zero, 1000 yard come up is 14.25 MOA, a 10 mph wind only move it 1.75 MOA, it is still going 2512 fps, and has 3854 ft-lbs. But if your not a mono guy, the 300 Berger is still ridiculous as well. The 33XC is just a monster of a cartridge.

I've heard the barrel life is poor on the 33xc. Any reports on how bad the throat erosion is with this round? Just wandering if it is worth the slight advantage over a 338 NMI?

I've heard the barrel life is poor on the 33xc. Any reports on how bad the throat erosion is with this round? Just wandering if it is worth the slight advantage over a 338 NMI?
The guy is asking about building a hot rod to run with N570, so barrel life probably isn't that big of a consideration ha ha. However, it really goes without saying that burning 120ish grains of powder down a .338 bore, especially a powder like N570, running it on the higher side of pressure, isn't exactly going to yield good barrel life. With cartridges like this, we're here for a good time, not a long time ha ha.

A 33XC will have around 250 fps +- over a .338 NMI with same length barrel, same powder, running similar pressures, and using same bullet weight. Whether the 250 fps is worth the 20-30 grains of powder increase will be up to each individual person. Barrel life will depend greatly on how high of pressure you load it, if you shoot strings or allow the barrel to cool, and powder used.

Last edited:
A 33XC is way more than a slight advantage over a Norma. I shoot a 338 Norma using N570 and I love it, but an XC will be 400 FPS faster at a minimum. If you want to go fast be prepared to deal with shorter barrel life and enjoy the performance.

A 33XC is way more than a slight advantage over a Norma. I shoot a 338 Norma using N570 and I love it, but an XC will be 400 FPS faster at a minimum. If you want to go fast be prepared to deal with shorter barrel life and enjoy the performance.
He was saying 338 NMI, so the improved version. 300 Bergers will get up to 3000 fps or so with a 30" tube, at least I have seen a couple people do it, so less difference than a standard Norma, but the xc is still a completely different animal for sure. The 338 NMI is not in the same class. That's like comparing a 300 saum to a 300 RUM.

I'm not particularly worried about barrel life with this one. I am thinking it will be used sparingly in just certain situations where I know I could encounter some longer distances in less than ideal conditions. I would also like to keep the barrel length at or under 30 inches.

Simple, XC or Lapua improved.
I agree, I'd look at these. Brass, Dies, load info easy to find.

I've got a 30" Bartlein barrel ordered for something along these lines. Ordered one of their new MOD400BB barrels to help with the barrel life concern. I'm leaning Lapua Improved (specifically the 338 Terminator from Defensive Edge). 338 Norma Improved isn't out of the question.

I'm leaning Lapua Improved (specifically the 338 Terminator from Defensive Edge). 338 Norma Improved isn't out of the question.
Norma Improved isn't worth the hassle of fire forming and custom dies in my opinion. It'll shoot great and reduce brass trimming frequency but it'll be slow compared to an XC or Lapua Improved.

On the other hand a Norma Improved would be a better choice for a repeater vs single feed.