Cartridge options

thaught

I have a Lone Peak Fuzion Ti medium action that I was going to build a 6.5 PRC. I was thinking about changing that and going with a 30 cal. What are my options for this action?

Their are two basic type of cartridges to consider, SAMMI designs and Wildcats.

SAMMI designed cartridges have for the most part designed In the most usable features, and avoided the areas that take special attention. They are as standard as possible and easy to use. Many times they are a compromise but function as designed.

Wildcats have a reputation for being to much trouble, but with careful designing and planing, they can reach a level of performance that standard SAMMI cartridges have a hard time keeping up with. They also can be very easy on components because of their efficiency and design.

Both design elements are part of the decision along with the use and action to be used.

If you don't want to re load, The decision is easy, Go with a standard cartridge that does the job for the intended use and you will be happy.

If you do reload, the options are wide open. But when choosing a wildcat, Careful though and planning is the most Important aspect of the decision. it is also best to pick a proven Wildcat that accessory's are available and load data also, at least for the first time.

Wild cats can be very satisfying If well designed and properly loaded for. Many are also easy to use and load for and not the trouble that some other designs are. Many people think that It is easy to re design a cartridge, but that is not the case and many troubles come from not understanding the reasons for the design elements of a cartridge.

Study what you have, study what you want and decide what will work best for you.
Advice from others may help but the final decision is the one you have to live with.

J E CUSTOM

Their are two basic type of cartridges to consider, SAMMI designs and Wildcats.

SAMMI designed cartridges have for the most part designed In the most usable features, and avoided the areas that take special attention. They are as standard as possible and easy to use. Many times they are a compromise but function as designed.

Wildcats have a reputation for being to much trouble, but with careful designing and planing, they can reach a level of performance that standard SAMMI cartridges have a hard time keeping up with. They also can be very easy on components because of their efficiency and design.

Both design elements are part of the decision along with the use and action to be used.

If you don't want to re load, The decision is easy, Go with a standard cartridge that does the job for the intended use and you will be happy.

If you do reload, the options are wide open. But when choosing a wildcat, Careful though and planning is the most Important aspect of the decision. it is also best to pick a proven Wildcat that accessory's are available and load data also, at least for the first time.

Wild cats can be very satisfying If well designed and properly loaded for. Many are also easy to use and load for and not the trouble that some other designs are. Many people think that It is easy to re design a cartridge, but that is not the case and many troubles come from not understanding the reasons for the design elements of a cartridge.

Study what you have, study what you want and decide what will work best for you.
Advice from others may help but the final decision is the one you have to live with.

J E CUSTOM
I do reload so that doesn't concern me too much. Just don't know what options I have with that action in .30

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.