Resizing .270 to .30 06'

Once fired .25-06, .270W, & .30-06 brass is real cheap and constitutes about 20% of my ammo supply. I once used a die set to make 6mm Rem from .270 & .30-06 brass.

Attempts to chamber same length F/L sized .25-06 brass into a 6mm-06 chamber were no-go but should real strong arm efforts be made with a rifle having a long bolt handle it might be possible to chamber a loaded .25-06 cartridge into a 6mm-06 (.243) barrel. This is why the .280 Rem has a longer datum length than a .270.

During late summer & early fall sight in season at the local range I harvest all sorts of good once fired brass but carefully inspect each piece including fit testing for neck diameter using an appropriate size bullet. Should I ever inspect brass having info regarding caliber removed it would be tossed into my recycle tub. Every thing gets F/L sized using the intended caliber dies. A real prize would be 20 or so .30-06 Lapua brand cases.

Home ammo production demands caution & attention to detail. I once had a Rem XP100 (single shot bolt pistol) made into rifle in 6mm-..223, Beautiful shooter, I always turned necks after necking up.

Last edited:
I think this is a very good topic that should be brought to the table truth is all components are as hard to find as hens teeth. With our economy and supply issues we should look to ask those with more experience and glean from their knowledge. If for no other reason it would be nice to know all the brass I could make other cartridges for and which ones to use and the steps to take. Just my thoughts.

And it is not only to protect you, (who will likely recognize the difference between the parent case and the new caliber), it is to protect others.

Protect you and others from what? You can't close the bolt of a 270 with a 30 cal slug. So it Can NOT fire. You put a 6.5-06 in a 270 or 30-06 it's called fire forming the case. The bullet harmlessly rattles down the barrel on the way out

Protect you from a hungry lawyer.

What you say is true -- you cannot chamber a .30-06 in a .270. You can, however, chamber various fire-formed cases in their parent chamber, and if you don't make it a habit to deface the original caliber headstamp (something that will not compromise the strength of the case) you might someday be looking at a legal suit. Most of us who visit ranges very often have picked up cases that were fired in the wrong chamber, including really obviously wrong ones. I picked up a half dozen .308s that had obviously been fired in a .30-06. People do really stupid things. Protect yourself from those bozos as much as you can, including not leaving mismarked cases around. Or don't -- your call.

Protect you from a hungry lawyer.

What you say is true -- you cannot chamber a .30-06 in a .270. You can, however, chamber various fire-formed cases in their parent chamber, and if you don't make it a habit to deface the original caliber headstamp (something that will not compromise the strength of the case) you might someday be looking at a legal suit. Most of us who visit ranges very often have picked up cases that were fired in the wrong chamber, including really obviously wrong ones. I picked up a half dozen .308s that had obviously been fired in a .30-06. People do really stupid things. Protect yourself from those bozos as much as you can, including not leaving mismarked cases around. Or don't -- your call.
You have entirely to much time on your hands neighbor as well as giving advice that is totally incorrect

Last edited:
I picked up a half dozen .308s that had obviously been fired in a .30-06.

Is it even possible to put a 308 in a 30-06 and fire it. The 06 case has more taper and much longer. I have lots of 308 win cases and they don't even appear similar to my 270's. I looked at the SAMMI Specs of the two cases

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.