Resizing .270 to .30 06'

General RE LEE

I've got quite a bit of .270 brass but no .270 lol. I've got a .30 06 I can load for and was wondering if I can simply run the .270 brass into the .30 06 FL sizer die and trim if needed.

the body length is the same the 270 just has a longer neck so you can just neck up and shoot. there wont be any neck turning involved and the minimal doughnut that might form wont ever be a problem. leave oal at max until after first firing

While doing this is very easy and on the surface seems to be a judicious use of spare brass, don't forget the safety factor. I shoot and reload for both so I personally wouldn't want the opportunity to make a very bad mistake, much like having more than one type of powder open on the reloading bench at a time. The cost of proper brass is minimal compared to a prized firearm or body part. Just my 2 cents.

While doing this is very easy and on the surface seems to be a judicious use of spare brass, don't forget the safety factor. I shoot and reload for both so I personally wouldn't want the opportunity to make a very bad mistake, much like having more than one type of powder open on the reloading bench at a time. The cost of proper brass is minimal compared to a prized firearm or body part. Just my 2 cents.
If only a guy could just go buy proper brass.

The .270 Win brass measures 2.540 " long, .30-06 is 2.494 ", & trim is 2.484 ". I would suggest necking up the ..270 to .30 caliber, I use a Hornady elliptical expander ball to do this and lubricate the neck insides with 3 in 1 graphite lock lube. After that, F/L size in a .30-06 die then trim to 2.484. After all that stretching annealing might be considered. I have a 6.5-06, 6mm-06, 280 and do this type of thing routinely using .270, 30-06, & .25-06 brass. Should you be fussy neck turning might be considered.

Crunching .270 length brass into a .30-06 chamber would make for bad problems.

I agree necking up is bad. If resizing go down if a mixup happens it's not as destructive

"I" understand it is a safety issue/concern, and Murphy does NOT discriminate, but "If" the end-user cannot establish some safety measures because of headstamp, then do NOT do it. I have .35 Whelen, .270 Win, 280 Rem headstamps for my .30 Gibbs, and 8MM RM, 7MM STW, .375 H&H, .300 H&H, .300 WBTY headstamps for my .30 LARA wildcat. They are all properly labeled and stored with the rifle it is designed/loaded for ... but that's just me. 😇

Looks like @docwong is offering you 150 pieces. 30-06 brass is so common that I would think you could come up with plenty, even in this climate. If you insist on necking the 270 up, I doubt you'll have issues other than it's just a lot of work to get what is very common and cheap brass. Put a WTB on the classifieds here, bet you'll find some more if you need it. If you're doing it simply for cost, sell your 270 brass to offset buying 30-06 brass, maybe someone would even trade you. There are probably plenty of members on this forum that would love to get some of that 270 brass you have.

If you do this, make sure to take something like a Dremel tool and grind off the .270 headstamp. You don't want someone picking up one of your cartridges and trying to put it in his .270.
If you stole his shells you deserve what you get, but it won't cause a problem because you wouldn't be able to close the bolt:rolleyes: I have wildcat rounds using the parent cases. So 308 win becomes 6mm 7mm X 57 becomes 25 cal 300 H&H becomes .458 . Just look at it and you could say thats not 25-06 or .270 that a fat 30-06

You would never want to mess up the case rim to bolt face, bad idea ever grinding away the name.

I have done this for a 6.5-06 the cases which started out as a .270. The amount of grinding necessary to deface the original caliber designation is virtually insignificant. And it is not only to protect you, (who will likely recognize the difference between the parent case and the new caliber), it is to protect others.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.