Will neck sizing die work to resize new .30-06 brass to .338-06?

isptroop38

I have a .338-06 Weatherby on the way. I am not sure whether to buy new .338-06 brass (expensive, but maybe worth it) or just resize some .30-06 brass to .338-06. If I were to resize, do I really need a full length resizing die if I use new .30-06 brass? Would a neck sizing die do the trick? I was thinking about getting a set of Redding Neck Sizing dies for resizing whatever brass I end up shooting through my Weatherby. Any advice? Thanks.

It's best to run the brass through a FL die before you shoot it for the first time, then after the brass has been fireformed, neck sizing will work.

Maybe I'm missing your question entirely. But it sounds like you want to up-size your necks to 338 from 308. If that's the case, a sizing die won't do that.

No, I think I'm the one missing the boat entirely. I have been reloading for 5 years now, but this will be the first time I have tried to change one case (caliber) into another. I had read that all I needed to do was run a .30-06 case through a .338 Win Mag or similar die to resize the neck opening. If that is not true, how would I go about changing the neck diameter from .308 to .338? Is there a specific resizing die? Thanks for your patience.

I use Sinclair expander die/mandrels.

These are for use in neck turning, but work very well for up-sizing, atleast to get you in the ballpark. Take your necks up, then if needed, a followup with neck sizing to desired.
I can't go to Sinclair's site from here(work). But if they have 325 cal turning/expander mandrels as well as 338 T/E mandrels..They would be ideal to use in getting there.

Anything with a tapered expander will work. Hornady dies have them as standard equipment. You get get a tapered ball for Redding dies.
I size up 300 wby to 340 wby all the time.
Not sure what diff there is in shoulder dimensions between the '06 and the 338-06 but I'll bet it's pretty easily "do-able".

Ok, thanks for the help. I know the Ackley Improved version has a different shoulder angle, but the regular .338-06 is just the same case necked up - no difference in shoulder angles. So, if I buy a tapered expander for a Redding Die, can I use a .338-06 neck sizing die to expand the case mouth? I'm getting confused.

You can use a tapered expander for any die (as long as the maker offers one) because the expander usually sits at the bottom of the die. (It's the first thing that hits the case mouth and will expand it before the case gets in the die) If you haven't already bought a die and hornady makes one for that caliber I'd just buy the hornady and and you'll get it for free.

Here is a place that sells the Horndady neck dies pretty cheap. If you already have your fl dies I'd get the hornady for 338 mag. It's all you need to open mouths smoothly. Actually I don't know why it wouldn't work as a regular neck die either. One last work about neck dies...they don't normally give great runnout. I'd rather use a FL die for normal reloading but set it so it barely bumps the shoulder back. But here is a place that sell the neck die for about $16.
http://www.lockstock.com/products.asp?dept=228

Great, thanks for all the replies. I will go with the FL die since I can still neck size the brass after it has been shot or FL size as I see fit. Thanks again.

I use rcbs FL 338-06 sizer die for WW 30-06 brass after firing the RCBS 338-06 neck die is all i use from then on. Then your brass is talored to your chamber.

My favorite load is IMR 4320 @ 53.0 with fed 210 match primers in WW cases, with 200 gr Nosler E Tip or Accubond at COAL 3.340"

After the frist FL resizing i trim my cases to 2.450". After the first firing neck size only and check your case length.... Should be the same.

My rifle a Weatherby UL 338-06 really like this round.

Good Shooting

going from .308 to .338 is a serious step. I would recommend doing an 8mm step with a Sinclair expander mandrel, and then run the cases thru a standard .338-06 die. You'll also need to anneal the necks after your done with the .338 step. The Sinclair expander die and mandrel is setup to expand the neck about .001" oversize to allow clearence on their neck turning mandrel, but if you have access to a lathe or a drill press you can try to polish off a couple thousandths (if you do it in 2 steps you can forget polishing the mandrel). But in the end you still want to run these cases thru a full length die before loading them. You might also consider using 35 Whelen brass instead as it would probably stress the brass in the necks a little less, and you could do it in one operation.
gary

I've taken 7mm rem brass to 338 win by hitting up my 300 win die then going straight to the 338 die. My 338 dies are rcbs and they don't have a lot of taper(you really want one of the eliptical expander balls if you can get it) so I lube the inside of the case with rcbs lube and give it hell. Trim 'em square, clean 'em, and load 'em up. They shoot sub moa just like the real 338's. Just make sure you have enough neck tension. I've had a bit of trouble in the 338 win with win brass because win 7mag brass is thinner in the neck and doesn't size quite enough after firing. I went to rem brass and it solved the problem. I've got 7mag brass from two guys who quit the caliber and was short on 338's so it was an easy move for me.
My brother just sold me his 35 whelen and has been shooting '06 brass necked up to 35 in it. He has one of the tapered expenders in the dies and was going in one step with lubed necks. I don't have the dies yet so I've not done it, but I do have the brass and it looks good. He's still got to give me the dang dies.....

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts