30-06 resized to 25-06 getting "donuts"

MikeMurf0505

I am resizing some once fired factory 30-06 and 270 cases through my 25-06 full legnth sizing die and getting a small (for lack of a better word) donut below the neck, where it meets the top of the shoulder.

I tried annealing some cases before sizing them, and it did not change the donut at all.

Is this common when you resize 30-06 and 270 into 25-06?

I am using the same FL die I used to make all my killer accurate 87 grain reloads.

I am lubing the inside of the necks, and out side of the necks with RCBS case lube.

I just tried a few of them in my gun and none of them seem to chamber, even when I try 2.490 and 2.492 lengths (shorter than max.).

What am I doing wrong?
Why wont these chamber?

Any ideas - besides just go get 25-06 cases and call it a day (which is what I am strongly considering right now.).

I just sized a 25-06 case through the die, without changing anything, and it chambers great.

Maybe my die and my chamber are just too tight to resize 30-06 and 270 into ?

I AM getting really great accuracy, its tough to throw away 400 once fired factory cases (its about 50 50 270 and 30-06 - so most likely I have 200 of each size.).

Is there anyone in Houston who wants these cases?

Its common but it can be unsafe. I had this happen before when taking 308 lapua down to 260 rem. I fire formed them after the sizing and then trim to length before I load them.

I tryed my load with out fire forming them and popped a primer scared the crap out of me.

Is the bottom of your resizing die coming down and touching the top of the shell holder, check that first. If it does it is a bad die. I just resized a bunch of 06 and 270 brass to 25-06 and they all fit ok.
Tarey

I'll check it again, but I think it does.
Whats weird is that my 25-06 cases resize great out of this die - I mean I get really great accuracy from my full sized cases out of this die.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it now.

I only had a smidgen (several thousandths) to lower it, but that did the trick.
They chamber a little snug, but with a light forming load, I'll have great cases to add to my collection - thanks for the help.

Need any 25-06 recipies? I have a data sheet of them that I have collected over many hours of scanning the web, give me your email address and I'll send them to you.

That was my guess as well. If you set up your FL die to touch the shell holder with no case in it, no strain on it, it won't truly FL size your case. You almost have to set your press to touch the die and lightly cam over to get it to FL size completely with a case in it.

I made a bunch of 270 win out of 30-06 and had this problem. When I sized some 308 match brass down to 7mm-08, I adjusted my die fully and didn't have any trouble at all.

Good luck.

Worked like a charm.
Thanks for all the help guys, sometimes the simplest stuff is what goes right by you.

Anyone need a copy of the recipie file I have patched together from the net, just let me know - it looks like there are a few good recipies on it.
Mike

Mike
Thanks for the load data. I am going to try some 4831sc in the 25-06.
I just tried some in my 338 Ultra mag with some 225 gr. Barnes TTSX and shot a 3 shot .625 group at 300 yds.
Tarey

That 87 grain Speer TNT with 58 grains of H4831SC saved my chuckin trip this year, my 90 grain load totally went off the rails.
It is very consistant.
I will say that you have to weigh those TNT projectiles, they vary as mich as 2 grains out of the box. I had to buy 400 to get 200 perfectly matched tips.

Ihave resized a lot of 30-06s to 25-06 and have found nothing wrong with the donut below the neck, load it with a mild load and fire form it and you should be safe. Mine all have been.

I am most likely going to shoot the 100 grain Sierra boat tail using the minimum IMR-4350 load, since I have that powder on hand.

I dont have that projectile though. Anyone have any .257 projectile they want to get rid of I'd be glad to buy them off ya for fire forming.

I need about 400 in total. I have been real busy at the range picking up brass, but I got lucky one day and got about 200 in one shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.