30-06 resized to 25-06 getting "donuts"

Mike
Thanks for the load data. I am going to try some 4831sc in the 25-06.
I just tried some in my 338 Ultra mag with some 225 gr. Barnes TTSX and shot a 3 shot .625 group at 300 yds.
Tarey

NIIIICE.

I'm hoping for the same results with the 115 Berger, and good retained velocity too. Although I wont know until I actually HIT something at 600, like a watermelon or something, then shoot another projectile at the same target and distance to compare.

Jam the Berger in the lands and load it starting with 50 grains of RL22 or a middle load of 4831SC and you will likely find something that will get you where you want to be just work it up from there. My 6.5s generally like the Berger a little off the lands but with the 25-06s I have worked with it seems to do best in the lands.

I wouldn't worry about fireforming with a reduced load. Just load up what you are shooting and have at it. That little bit if case dimension won't make any difference.
Tarey

Is the bottom of your resizing die coming down and touching the top of the shell holder, check that first. If it does it is a bad die. I just resized a bunch of 06 and 270 brass to 25-06 and they all fit ok.
Tarey
All of your full length dies are made to set on the shell holder tight enough to cam over on the up stroke if it don't it will not resize the head of the case.
read the instructions for setting up the die.

I'm unsure what you mean about a donut forming "below the neck" but real donuts, the potentially hazardous kind, occur when necking cases up so that the top of the original shoulder becomes the base of the new neck.

Any proper sizer will size any cases to the proper size no matter what size the case was before sizing. I sometimes reform .30-06 and .270 into .22-250, that's a lot more demanding than resizing any case back to it's original dimensions and it doesn't matter what chamber the donor case was fired in!

I struggled with that comment too. I don't think he is pushing the shoulder back far enough.

Try a shim under the case in the shell holder. If you don't have a shim you can use aluminum foil. It will raise the case up a bit and it should be all you need to get the rounds to chamber.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.