Resizing marks on .270 Win cases

Highbrass1227

I had posted in another thread that I was having trouble reloading 270 Winchester. I'm using Hornady custom dies. Per the forum's recommendation I went and got some new Starline brass and switched to Imperial sizing lube. I am still needing a fair amount of torque/effort as I resize these. As you can see from the photo each case has sizing marks midway up the casing. I have never seen this before. I also load 3006 Springfield, 65 creedmoor and 223 Remington in bottleneck cartridges.

Has anyone else encountered sizing marks like these on high-powered cases? Are they normal?
20231225_144705.jpg

Did you clean out the die before using it? It may have had polish left in it or an imperfection that wasnt polished.

I presume that the die is a new one. On the photo one can see a heavy scratch ending with a raised edge, like if you raised a burr witch a scraper.
This is not a dirty die, (dirty die scratch would look like made with a sand paper) this is poorly made die and I would send it to the manufacturer with one of the cases.

I hope that the 5 photographed Starline cases are all that you have damaged. If this is the case (pun not intended) they can be polished with no ill effect. Take only the burr with sandpaper (400-600) glued to a Paddlepop Stick, do not try to sand off rest of the scratch. The "sanding" should remove only the burr, not the rest of the scratch and should be done in the longitudinal direction.

Write to them how many cases the die has damaged, hoping to receive a grovelling apology, a new die a corresponding or perhaps a box (50) of Hornady cases.

By the way, there are no high-powered cases as there are no high-powered rifles. Both of those term are stupid journalistic mumbo-jumbo terms designed to scare the general public of guns.

I hope that the 5 photographed Starline cases are all that you have damaged. If this is the case (pun not intended) they can be polished with no ill effect. Take only the burr with sandpaper (400-600) glued to a Paddlepop Stick, do not try to sand off rest of the scratch. The "sanding" should remove only the burr, not the rest of the scratch and should be done in the longitudinal direction.

Write to them how many cases the die has damaged, hoping to receive a grovelling apology, a new die a corresponding or perhaps a box (50) of Hornady cases.

By the way, there are no high-powered cases as there are no high-powered rifles. Both of those term are stupid journalistic mumbo-jumbo terms designed to scare the general public of guns.

Charlie_7,

Great idea to polish those cases! At least the end result is the load I worked up with a 130 grain Hornady SP over 56.2 grains of H4831SC in my new Model 70 Super Grade shot well!

Attachments

• 20231228_162641.jpg
    20231228_162641.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 24
I expect Hornady would replace the die no problem, if you show them these pictures. I have run into a couple bad dies over the years and all were immediately replaced by their makers.

Good luck,
Rex