Remington Long Range 5R... Have I lost my mind?

I do not see an STW. So thinking what caliber do you get a 308? Or the 65 Creedmore
260 Rem. I've been wanting a .260 bolt gun for a couple of years and these two models have really caught my attention.

When I get the neck surgery done I may not feel like shooting any of the boomers for a while so it gives me an extra excuse to add one or two more to the collection.

Business has been good the last few months so why not?gun)

260 Rem. I've been wanting a .260 bolt gun for a couple of years and these two models have really caught my attention.

When I get the neck surgery done I may not feel like shooting any of the boomers for a while so it gives me an extra excuse to add one or two more to the collection.

Business has been good the last few months so why not?gun)

So hurry up and buy it! :D

I want to see how this thing shoots and hear a first-hand experience. Might have to get one, and punch out the chamber if it's as good as my other two 5R rifles...

WildRose, & all, I'm glad I saw this thread! First I'll say that I have three of the first generation 5R's. one in 223, 308, & recently, I picked up a lightly used 300WM. I'm a big fan of these rifles! They seem to be very accurate, & fairly easy to load for. My 308 is probably the easiest rifle to load for as far as accuracy is concerned, that I own. With one 5 shot group that was basically "one hole". The 223 took a bit more work, but, I've been having better luck with it the last couple years. The 300WM hasn't seen much use yet, but, it has recently gone to the gunsmith for barrel threading & installation of a muzzle brake. I'm hoping this will help me to be able to shoot it better!!!!! I feel the 5R rifles offer a lot to the average hunter/shooter. First off an HS Precision stock for a stable base. I've installed a stock pad from Triad Tactical on all mine to get better check weld. The triggers can be hit-or-miss. But, overall they are a good buy, at least in my opinion. For several years, I've thought that with the popularity of the 260 Remington caliber for long range/tactical shooters, Remington was "missing the boat", by not offering the 5R's in that caliber!!! Well, now it looks as tho they've wised-up!!!!!! From the pics in this thread, I love the look of their new offering!!!!!! I wish I had the funds, because, a 5R in 260 seems like a great offering from Remington!!!! Hope you decide to get one, & if you do, please post some pics of the rifle, & let us all know how it treats you!!! Good Luck with your decision. Idaho-5R

WildRose, & all, I'm glad I saw this thread! First I'll say that I have three of the first generation 5R's. one in 223, 308, & recently, I picked up a lightly used 300WM. I'm a big fan of these rifles! They seem to be very accurate, & fairly easy to load for. My 308 is probably the easiest rifle to load for as far as accuracy is concerned, that I own. With one 5 shot group that was basically "one hole". The 223 took a bit more work, but, I've been having better luck with it the last couple years. The 300WM hasn't seen much use yet, but, it has recently gone to the gunsmith for barrel threading & installation of a muzzle brake. I'm hoping this will help me to be able to shoot it better!!!!! I feel the 5R rifles offer a lot to the average hunter/shooter. First off an HS Precision stock for a stable base. I've installed a stock pad from Triad Tactical on all mine to get better check weld. The triggers can be hit-or-miss. But, overall they are a good buy, at least in my opinion. For several years, I've thought that with the popularity of the 260 Remington caliber for long range/tactical shooters, Remington was "missing the boat", by not offering the 5R's in that caliber!!! Well, now it looks as tho they've wised-up!!!!!! From the pics in this thread, I love the look of their new offering!!!!!! I wish I had the funds, because, a 5R in 260 seems like a great offering from Remington!!!! Hope you decide to get one, & if you do, please post some pics of the rifle, & let us all know how it treats you!!! Good Luck with your decision. Idaho-5R
Once again, I appreciate everyone's input.

Im a guy who still works up a sweat just thinking about spending over a thousand dollars on anything and I haven't had the best luck with Remingtons in the past so it takes a lot to talk myself into a new one in this price range.

Can you put your hands on it? It's not hard to check primary extraction, if the action has the little square scanner code it's the newer action that needs some gunsmithing love to get it back up to where they were years ago. Many guys won't notice it but once you reload and your brass tries to get a little sticky or you have a hot one there just isn't enough or any cam to pop the round, seems worse on the belted cases though.

.........When I get the neck surgery done I may not feel like shooting any of the boomers for a while so it gives me an extra excuse to add one or two more to the collection..........

From my post neck surgery view (No idea what you're having done, and a lot of variables involved) the big boomers can be used still, but some limits, and adaptions may be necessary.

The .260's work well within my limits, and I'll confess to putting my ATACR on my .223 for spring varmint shooting, and keep finding reasons to not put it back on my .300 WinMag.

Best wishes for your neck surgery.

Can you put your hands on it? It's not hard to check primary extraction, if the action has the little square scanner code it's the newer action that needs some gunsmithing love to get it back up to where they were years ago. Many guys won't notice it but once you reload and your brass tries to get a little sticky or you have a hot one there just isn't enough or any cam to pop the round, seems worse on the belted cases though.
I wont be able to get my hands on it until after purchase. They aren't easy to come by and I've only found a handful of retailers stocking them or who could get them. Apparently one or two of the big distributors bought them all up.

I will definitely keep an eye on the extraction since that has been a problem with a lot of 700s over the years.

From my post neck surgery view (No idea what you're having done, and a lot of variables involved) the big boomers can be used still, but some limits, and adaptions may be necessary.

The .260's work well within my limits, and I'll confess to putting my ATACR on my .223 for spring varmint shooting, and keep finding reasons to not put it back on my .300 WinMag.

Best wishes for your neck surgery.
Thanks. I have to get the C-5/6 disc replaced and once I'm recovered there shouldn't be any future issues but for six months or so I plan to take it easy.

I've had a lot of orthopedic work done over the last five years so I'm getting rather used to it unfortunately.

Its just the price one pays for living life at full throttle for forty plus years. You cant keep the pedal mashed to the floor for decades without wearing out a few parts.

Glad you seem to be recovered from yours.

Its just the price one pays for living life at full throttle for forty plus years. You cant keep the pedal mashed to the floor for decades without wearing out a few parts.

Glad you seem to be recovered from yours.

Good motorcycles, and bad horses made me the man I am today! LOL! Funny how many bumps, and falls we shake off when we're young thinking we got away with it.

Good motorcycles, and bad horses made me the man I am today! LOL! Funny how many bumps, and falls we shake off when we're young thinking we got away with it.
Same here plus football, rodeo, jumping out of airplanes and a long stretch in uniform so I'm just thankful to be able to get up every morning.

I may be nuts but if I had a chance to start over I wouldn't change a thing. I've had a great life, seen most of the world, and made life long friends on several continents. To top it all off I married a great woman so what more could a guy ask for? gun)

My buddy took this shot of my Rem MilSpec in 300WM while I was popping a basketball sized rock at over 1400 yards during a lunch break while hunting in Wyoming. It's out of the box with the only mods being a Timney trigger at 3.5#, a bedded front lug, and an Elk Meadow muzzle brake mounted on the factory threaded 24" barrel. I have a NF G7 5.5x22x50 scope mounted on it. With the Elk Meadow brake, and using Berger 210's at 2900FPS, there is less recoil then my un-breaked MilSpec twin shooting 168 SMK's in 308 Win.
As a side note, with this type of ELR shooting, the Terrapin/Shooter,/Kestrel 3500 combo enables very accurate first round hits.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 139
My buddy took this shot of my Rem MilSpec in 300WM while I was popping a basketball sized rock at over 1400 yards during a lunch break while hunting in Wyoming. It's out of the box with the only mods being a Timney trigger at 3.5#, a bedded front lug, and an Elk Meadow muzzle brake mounted on the factory threaded 24" barrel. I have a NF G7 5.5x22x50 scope mounted on it. With the Elk Meadow brake, and using Berger 210's at 2900FPS, there is less recoil then my un-breaked MilSpec twin shooting 168 SMK's in 308 Win.
As a side note, with this type of ELR shooting, the Terrapin/Shooter,/Kestrel 3500 combo enables very accurate first round hits.
Very nice. I too have spent a great deal of time and effort making little rocks out of big rocks with little bitty bullets.

To me rocks are the best thing ever invented to practice range estimation.

Shooting at ELR ranges though you are so right about the equipment making all of the difference but you still have to have the right person behind the gun to have any success. The further out you go the more important the basic fundamentals of shooting are.

If you are hitting anything smaller than a pickup at 1,400yds plus my hat is off to you.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.