This is my backup bear gun, change my mind.

What would it take to change my backup gun

• Legitimate discovery of Sasquatch

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • More opportunities/time to train with other firearms

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • A more powerful cartridge that fires from one of my existing platforms

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • I won't change

Votes: 34 36.2%
  • Lighter gun

Votes: 10 10.6%
  • Changing hunting areas to a place where bears are larger

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Other

Votes: 10 10.6%

• Total voters
So, this morning out my back door.
20200611_080713.jpg

20200611_080736.jpg

And 5 minutes ago
20200611_151440.jpg

Now without zoom and from a little bit of elevation, do you think you'd see him when walking around? He's in the same spot, on his belly.
He's about 15 yards from my back door
20200611_151357.jpg

The Cliff Notes: a guide on an Elk bow hunt got killed by a Grizzly bear. They were moving an Elk when two bears attacked them. They tried bear spray and it didn't work. The guide had a 10mm Glock but gave it to his hunter who had the other Grizzly on him, then the guide got attacked and dragged off.

It doesn't sound like the hunter had a chance to use the 10mm but the guide had nothing except maybe bear spray.

So without any info about the 10mm, he says they needed big bore pistols.

In another video he says push feed is more reliable than controlled round feed which most dangerous game hunters would strongly disagree with so I place no stock in his opinion.

If I find myself agreeing with him on anything, I always reevaluate.

I think you are a bit optimistic on the performance of the 29.

Here is a web page testing various 10mm loads at various barrel length and a "real world" example.

It suggests the difference between a 3.5" 29 and a 6" 20/21/40 could be between 100-150 fps.

I haven't pushed it this far yet but I am aiming for 1,350 fps with a Hornady 180 XTP. The XTP seems to expand well, penetrate deep, retain most of it's mass at velocity near that (in ballistic gelatin) and heavier bullets seem to lose too much muzzle velocity to maintain the same energy. Bear might be tougher than ballistic gelatin but I still think a 180 XTP is about the biggest punch you can get from a semi-auto. .460 Rowland is another that people look at but the .451 hollow points are designed to work closer to .45 ACP velocities so I think a cast bullet would need to be used and then you will get great penetration but lose expansion (mostly), temporary wound cavity and wound cavity width.

An interesting thing from that site, 357SIG keeps up with 10mm kinetic energy pretty well. I've got a 5.32" conversion barrel for my Glock 22. Could it be a backup bear gun? I wouldn't try it, I don't think the 125ish grain bullets that it uses would hold together very well, expansion would be less and if the bullet does come apart, penetration would certainly suffer.

An Automag, Desert Eagle or other huge semi-auto pistol might improve on a 10mm but I think the logical and cheaper step up is to a .44 Magnum revolver and then up the ladder with .480 Ruger, .454 Casull, .475 Linebaugh, .500 S&W and other big bore revolver cartridges.
A glock 20 has a 4.6" barrel, not a 6" barrel. Based on my own results with heavy bear loads, I am finding about a 25fps difference between the 29 and 20.

Mine has a 6" barrel. I'm not sure if you can find a 6" barrel for a 29.

Also, from the site, looking between 3" and 4" or 4" and 5", it suggests more like a 50-75 fps difference. Maybe your 20 has a slow barrel?

I wanted the best combo I could put together on a budget. I got one of Lone Wolf's "tactical" length Glock 21 slides and a 6" Storm Lake conversion barrel. It has more meat in the barrel than a Glock 20 and the smaller bore makes it stronger than a .460 Rowland barrel. The longer slide means it has as much or more slide mass as a standard Glock 20 so hot rounds and a stock weight recoil spring will run fine.

The 29 has a much lighter slide, higher slide velocity, lower muzzle velocity and less grip to hold on to.

I'm not sure what advantage a 29 has except lighter weight. Size shouldn't be much of a difference when you have it holstered for defensive open carry. A 6" Glock is much smaller than a 6" revolver so it's not big enough to really make a difference unless your holster is just a bad design for a "quick draw".

He said to not waste your time with pepper spray and that everyone out there should be carrying a powerful handgun.
I can't say I have ever agreed with what this guy has had to say, except for now. I just wish he would have said it in 30 seconds. There is five minutes that I can never get back- yea I STOPPED IT EARLY.

It doesn't sound like the hunter had a chance to use the 10mm but the guide had nothing except maybe bear spray.

So without any info about the 10mm, he says they needed big bore pistols.

It is even more bizarre. He said while both were mounted the bear attacked the client, so the guide "tried to toss him" the 10mm. Can you even imagine that? The client (either with or without the pistol, he did not say) then fled while the bear chewed up and killed the unarmed guide.

They could have had a .500 and it would not have made any difference.

That settles it. Selling the .44, ordering a G29 and paper spray right now.

I once heard that you should carry small bells tied to your waist ( to chase the bears away) and pepper spray. And the way to tell the difference between Black Bear Scat and Grizzly, is Black Bear is just berries, while Grizzly contains small Bells and smells of pepper. :)

I said other.
Carry a 10mm, Ruger SR1911. I can shoot it well with good follow up shot timing. Practice is important.
I have shot a friend's Glock 40 MOS (10mm long slide). It's nicer, and handles recoil a lot better than my SR. Fugly though.

Now for the other: God.
No amount of thought or practice is going to do me much good if it's my time.
I surprised a sow once as she was ripping into a tree. Thought it was my buddy chopping firewood. Six foot distance. She was just as surprised as I was. Unarmed, I just started yelling. She turned and padded away.
In the Tetons, Gros Ventre and Wind River ranges, we would carry a coffee can with rocks and shake it when approaching rock out crops on trail.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.