This is my backup bear gun, change my mind.

What would it take to change my backup gun

• Legitimate discovery of Sasquatch

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • More opportunities/time to train with other firearms

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • A more powerful cartridge that fires from one of my existing platforms

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • I won't change

Votes: 34 36.2%
  • Lighter gun

Votes: 10 10.6%
  • Changing hunting areas to a place where bears are larger

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Other

Votes: 10 10.6%

• Total voters

sea2summit

I'm sure some folks see me as a suborn *** about my opinions on bear guns. I honestly don't think I am I just don't see the logic or proof some arguments some have for theirs. And I really do respect the fact that whatever you're best with is probably what you should carry even if that's a 9mm. I've also actually given a lot of thought to investing a bunch of money into testing a bunch of guns against some bear-ish scenarios just to see if my mind would change based on efficiency of other platforms/calibers.

Anyway the point here is kind of along my testing mindset and trying to figure out what it would take for me to change. So what would it take for you to change your chosen backup? I left it open so you can choose up to three, or just choose one. Genuine curiosity.

After you vote and something would change your mind, maybe post up some words about what proof you would need or how significant the difference would need to be please.

Im pretty comfortable with my 10mm, but as time and money permit, I'd very much like to do some gel testing with a 460 Rowland. I have a couple each caribou and moose shoulders I've been saving in the freezer to out in it to simulate bone impacts. I'll probably test the 300blk also

We run black bears in the mountains of Wv with hounds. Have had several close encounters with good sized bears . Some would rather just stand and fight the dogs then run and tree. I have personally seen 3 different bears over 250 lbs shot with a 10 mm all 3 were dead within the first 2 shots but also all 3 took almost a whole magazine full. I carry my ruger super redhawk in 44 mag with hard cast bullets for those up close encounters we sometimes have. One of the gentlemen we hunt with has an 870 police addition and carries it every time he's away from his vehicle. With slugs. I haven't witnessed him shooting one with it but he guarantees it will take the fight out of ol mr bear. And I'd say he's probably right

I have 3 guns that I would carry as backup. Blackhawk in 45 l.c.,super redhawk in 480 ruger and bfr in 500 jrh. All loaded with heavy flat nose hard cast bullets at around 1000 fps. This gives very manageable recoil and can be shot one handed. I'm older and grew up with revolvers, so I'm comfortable with them. I don't think velocity is as important as bullet construction in this situation. A proper bullet in 10 mm,41,44,460,480 or 500 will all probably work with the right shot. I would take my chances with any of them over a can of bear seasoning.

One thing in favor of the 10mm Glock is no safety. The bears cover ground fast so the first shot will come when you pull the trigger at presentation, No whoops, safety still on! Revolvers have that same advantage but I prefer the Glock for the smaller overall package.

Glock20SF with hardcast 200 grain rounds. This is a backup to bear spray. We in Washington state live With between 20-30 thousand resident black bears. Bear spray is the best option. No trying to get off a kill shot. Point and spray a wide cloud that does stop them. Just make sure your not in the up wind. When sprayed them turn and run into the wind blinded.

I'm sure some folks see me as a suborn *** about my opinions on bear guns. I honestly don't think I am I just don't see the logic or proof some arguments some have for theirs. And I really do respect the fact that whatever you're best with is probably what you should carry even if that's a 9mm. I've also actually given a lot of thought to investing a bunch of money into testing a bunch of guns against some bear-ish scenarios just to see if my mind would change based on efficiency of other platforms/calibers.

Anyway the point here is kind of along my testing mindset and trying to figure out what it would take for me to change. So what would it take for you to change your chosen backup? I left it open so you can choose up to three, or just choose one. Genuine curiosity.

After you vote and something would change your mind, maybe post up some words about what proof you would need or how significant the difference would need to be please.
Springfield xdm in 10mm 15 plus 1 is my thought and is what I use

I have had little need of a bear gun, but like any good gun nut I have 2 of them anyway. I bought a Ruger Redhawk 45LC that can run HSM +P bear loads as well as 45 ACP in moon clips. It's a brick and hard to shoot well. I found I did not want to carry it so I added the smallest Glock 10mm, the 29. It is nothing to throw in a pack. So this week I'm in the mountains in NM and brought a 9mm because it never occurred to me to bring anything bigger until I got here. So far no bears, but there are a lot of weirdos.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.