This is my backup bear gun, change my mind.

What would it take to change my backup gun

• Legitimate discovery of Sasquatch

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • More opportunities/time to train with other firearms

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • A more powerful cartridge that fires from one of my existing platforms

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • I won't change

Votes: 34 36.2%
  • Lighter gun

Votes: 10 10.6%
  • Changing hunting areas to a place where bears are larger

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Other

Votes: 10 10.6%

• Total voters
Shots on target are more important than how big the bore is. I've done a lot of training with big bore revolvers and a lot of training with the 10 mm glock. You can bet that if I put enough bullets on target with the big bore revolver shooting fast with a heavy heart beat, I'd stick with a revolver. Plain and simple I can put 3/4 of my bullets in a 6 inch circle when I'm very winded and my heart is beating very fast. I've only been able to put one bullet out of six and that same 6 inch circle inconsistently maybe twice out of the several dozen times I've done this test. Arguably maybe one shot would be all I would need on a charging bear, however I prefer 10 to 15 rounds in that 6" circle on a charging bear. All this was done at 12 to 15 yards. I use a rolling automobile tire at 20 yard the range rolling straight at me while I'm making these shots. Even though my shots are hitting a Target at that 15 yard range, I only shoot until the tire reaches me. It's fast shooting and most times only get off 10-13 rounds. Usually only 3-5 with the 44 magnum.
Tell me more about your tire setup. What's the mechanism to start it? How fast is it moving?

For the shots on target, have you shot against a clock? Pulling numbers straight out of my butt for that range target size but practiced is probably 1 shot/sec, competitive is probably 1/2 shot/sec which means you're shooting for 5-13 seconds or so, accurate? Was it the same time with the .44?

Tell me more about your tire setup. What's the mechanism to start it? How fast is it moving?

For the shots on target, have you shot against a clock? Pulling numbers straight out of my butt for that range target size but practiced is probably 1 shot/sec, competitive is probably 1/2 shot/sec which means you're shooting for 5-13 seconds or so, accurate? Was it the same time with the .44?
I use a cable and a lever design and the tire sits at 3 foot off the ground on a ramp. Tire is moving at about 15 miles per hour. I usually get two shots per second. Same format with the 44 Magnum but I don't get nearly the number of shots. Yes I have shot against the clock but has been years.

Tracking just curious how much velocity is lost between the 20 and 29 with the shorter barrel? With a .44 the difference between 5 and 2.5 is about 150 fps, if a 10mm lost 150 fps its going to be like shooting a .40.
You know I'm not exactly sure as I have a 6" barrel on my G20 & G40. It's quite a difference. Still not down into 40 S&W velocities. I'm right at 1320 shooting 220 hardcast in my G20. That's the only number I have

For me, the BlackHawk 41 Mag has been my sidearm to my 45-70, 375 H&H, 338 W/M for bears. I now have a 444 Marlin lever guns; I am not sure what to say anymore. I have not been in Grizz country in over 15 years. If I went back, I would consider building a 45 Super upper for my Para-Ordnance P.14-45 to approximate a 44 mag or a 45 Colt BlackHawk load. I would have 14 to 17 rounds of 230 grain truncated cone hard cast or full metal jacketed. I have always been "security" with my big guns for the guy gutting the Elk or Moose, or Deer in Grizz country. I had my big bore rifle at the ready and kept watch until the cutting and gutting were done and we were done packing it up. but that is a unique situation. if you are alone then you need a good revolver or big bore hand cannon to fend off big Browns. I am flexible.. I can shoot many guns.. only a few are enough for the Big highland Browns and blacks we have in the US.
I carried a Blackhawk .41 Mag when I lived in Alaska, when fishing, hunting or just out exploring. It felt natural in a shoulder holster after a while. I still wear it now that I live in WY. Bears are smaller here, but we have a lot of big cats that can be unpredictable. I load it with 255 grain hard cast.

Most of us that regularly frequent grizzly country have chosen our sidearms based on a lot of factors. Some of these may be questionable and can be argued to death, literally. I typically hunt horseback with one other individual and my son. We all carry glock 20s. Our rule is the first one to make a kill packs the 870 for the rest of the trip. We always have a shotgun loaded appropriately in camp and if we have to go back to a kill the shotgun is out. As far as bear spray goes we carry it to appease the authorities but it certainly isn't for anything else in our camp.
It will spice up your camp chili.

If you wanted the longer barrel, you can ways put a g20 barrel or any of the barrels made for a g20 into the g29. The g40 might be different though
Yes the 4.6" G20 barrel fits the G29. My custom 6" barrel does not. You can also use the G20 mags in the G29. I have some lone wolf grip extensions that fit on my G20 mags and match the bottom of the G29 grip bridging the Gap from the 10rd to the 15rd mags making the grip length the same as the G20. With the 4.6" barrel and grip extensions and G20 mags, the G29 IS a G20.

HRQ4BjJ.jpg
😉

My 6" Glock 21 conversion has 2.5" more than the Glock 29 and the way semiautomatic barrels are measured to the breach face and revolvers not counting the cylinder, that's very similar to 5" vs. 2.5" in a revolver.

I think a .44 or .41 Magnum has more powder to take advantage of a longer barrel so 10mm might not have as much drop off but when you are starting with less, I want that 6" if I'm dealing with an aggressive animal.

At this point in life, I am very comfortable in the capabilities of my three main bear protection handguns and their loads; 44mag Redhawk, 45Colt+p 5 1/2" Redhawk, 45 Super in older converted Kimber 1911 with compensator. All using hard cast heavies.

HOWEVER, if they make Han Solo's blaster available to the public, I "may" consider that.
Oh so you are referring to a BroomHandle souped up :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.