Remington Long Range 5R... Have I lost my mind?

WildRose

I've seen quite a bit of discussion about these over the last few years here and on other sites and while there have been a long string of complaints about poor quality control I've also seen a lot of guys incredibly happy with them.

Im fortunate in that if I got stuck with one that needed to go back to the factory for repair/replacement so other than the aggravation it wouldn't hurt me in the long run so that doesnt scare me off of them completely.

I came across one in 260 Rem the other day and I'm having a real hard time talking myself out of it.

Have any of you fine fellows tried one in 260? Were you pleased or did you too have problems with a sticky bolt and/or other head space problems?

Compared to their regular hunting and SP lines these are awfully pricey and that makes me wonder if its worth the gamble.

Does it look like this? Remington SKU #: 85195.

http://www.snipercountrypx.com/product/remington-700-ss-5r-w24-threaded-barrel-260-rem/

Apparently it's something REALLY new... It's not a Long Range model, it's the new 5R Gen2 model. I remember reading something about those a couple months back, but haven't seen anything like them around here.

I would definitely be interested in one, then have the chamber punched-out to .260 AI before I ever even shot it. :D

Does it look like this? Remington SKU #: 85195.

Remington – 700 SS 5R Gen 2 w/24″ Threaded Barrel, .260 Rem

Apparently it's something REALLY new... It's the 5R Gen2 model. I remember reading something about those a couple months back, but haven't seen anything like them around here.

I would definitely be interested in one, then have the chamber punched-out to .260 AI before I ever even shot it. :D
Yep, that's it MR.

I actually came across a Ruger M77 Hawkeye FTW special edition in .260 dirt cheap and bought it already but you know me, I always like to have at least two rifles in each of the calibers I own and it will be a kick to shoot these side by side to compare them.

Ruger has been doing some great things in the last few years so for what this one cost I just couldn't say no.

The 5R though comes at a premium price for a factory rifle and with the problems Remington has had the last five years or so with QC I'm just a bit hesitant to pull the trigger, pun intended!

Hopefully we will hear from some guys who have already taken the plunge to get me over it.

My two 5R's are perfect... So based on my personal experiences with them over the last 6+ years, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. As always, thanks to the idiots and lawyers, a trigger swap will be a necessary evil of the newer Remingtons. Just giving you a heads-up on that. The XMP triggers are garbage and hardly worth their weight in scrap.

I will look forward to hearing your results. This just might have to be the next purchase I make...I have been wanting a .260 AI for years, and I love 5R heavy barrels, so this might be my chance to build one pretty cheap. :cool:

I will say this, you will be amazed at how easy the 5R barrels clean up, and how many rounds you can get out of them between cleanings...At least, this has been my experiences with them.

Well I hope so. This is apparently a special very limited run. I cant even find it on the Remington website.

From what I can find it is definitely supposed to be a long range precision rifle and its a fair bit lighter barrel contour than the original true Mil Specs and has a 24 in barrel instead of the MTU contour.

I'm definitely in on the Ruger already and I may well talk myself into this one to go along with it. I've always liked the idea of owning rifles from the same company that designed a given proprietary round and this might be a good fit.

Well I hope so. This is apparently a special very limited run. I cant even find it on the Remington website.

From what I can find it is definitely supposed to be a long range precision rifle and its a fair bit lighter barrel contour than the original true Mil Specs and has a 24 in barrel instead of the MTU contour.

I'm definitely in on the Ruger already and I may well talk myself into this one to go along with it. I've always liked the idea of owning rifles from the same company that designed a given proprietary round and this might be a good fit.

Yes and no... None of the 5R Milspecs were ever listed in the Remington catalogue. So, while they are a limited run, they make them once a year, and then once they sell out, you gotta wait till the next year to get one.

Also, the contour of the 5R Milspecs is the same as the Sendero/Varmint rifles. The M24 rifles that use these same 416R stainless barrels are kept at an MTU/M24 contour. The 5R civilian models are turned down to Sendero/Varmint contour, so it's still not a light-weight contour, just lighter than the M24.

I will say that I wish they had made it a 26" barrel...But my 24" .308 Win 5R shoots amazing. So, it's not a huge deal, just a personal preference.

These have the proper 1:8 twist, you should not be disappointed, once you swap the trigger.

I have owned a few Milspecs since they were introduced by Remington several years ago. They proved to be very cost effective for competition. The three 308's I have owned were all .25-.5 MOA rifles. Interestingly, and following the Milspec context, they all had identicle chamber dimensions and produced the same results with the same loads. My most recent purchase, a 24" threaded muzzle 300WM turned out to be a superb shooter producing .25 MOA with Berger 220/215 with velocities of 2900 and 2870 respectively. It's a companion to my 6.5x284 LRH rifle when larger game is on the menu. With the exception of the crappy triggers on the more recent specimens, the fit and finish of the all stainless barreled actions and stocks are superb. When I shot the barrels out of the 308's I'd part them out and get a decent amount of the cost back so I could replace them with another new one.

Yes and no... None of the 5R Milspecs were ever listed in the Remington catalogue. So, while they are a limited run, they make them once a year, and then once they sell out, you gotta wait till the next year to get one.

Also, the contour of the 5R Milspecs is the same as the Sendero/Varmint rifles. The M24 rifles that use these same 416R stainless barrels are kept at an MTU/M24 contour. The 5R civilian models are turned down to Sendero/Varmint contour, so it's still not a light-weight contour, just lighter than the M24.

I will say that I wish they had made it a 26" barrel...But my 24" .308 Win 5R shoots amazing. So, it's not a huge deal, just a personal preference.

These have the proper 1:8 twist, you should not be disappointed, once you swap the trigger.
Believe it or not I found a way to make the X-Mark work for me pretty satisfactorily in the two rifles that have them. It definitely takes some work.

I sure as hell wish I could find a clone of the single set trigger that comes with the CZs but alas, that's not gonna happen anytime soon.

I have owned a few Milspecs since they were introduced by Remington several years ago. They proved to be very cost effective for competition. The three 308's I have owned were all .25-.5 MOA rifles. Interestingly, and following the Milspec context, they all had identicle chamber dimensions and produced the same results with the same loads. My most recent purchase, a 24" threaded muzzle 300WM turned out to be a superb shooter producing .25 MOA with Berger 220/215 with velocities of 2900 and 2870 respectively. It's a companion to my 6.5x284 LRH rifle when larger game is on the menu. With the exception of the crappy triggers on the more recent specimens, the fit and finish of the all stainless barreled actions and stocks are superb. When I shot the barrels out of the 308's I'd part them out and get a decent amount of the cost back so I could replace them with another new one.
You sir are helping to ease my trepidation considerably. Thanks. WR

Believe it or not I found a way to make the X-Mark work for me pretty satisfactorily in the two rifles that have them. It definitely takes some work.

I sure as hell wish I could find a clone of the single set trigger that comes with the CZs but alas, that's not gonna happen anytime soon.

Remington 700 Assembly Set Triggers

Kepplinger also used to make one, but not sure you can still find any...

I have a .308 5R. Shoots great. No complaints other than the trigger, but I put a timney in it and now much happier.

When looking at any Remington you need to pull the firing pin assembly and check primary extraction and check the extractor making sure it's seated correctly. I've seen most of the high end Remington 700 models in for getting these things fixed, new action right out of the box that have zero primary extraction. I also won't buy one without bore scoping it because of the number of new rebarrels I do on brand new Remingtons. Legitimately the best money action for a gunsmith hands down!!

I've owned 2 of the .308 5R mil specs and they never failed to impress. 150, 168, 173, and 175gr all shot under 1" and mostly 1/2" if I did my part. I'd like to have some more of them--start a collection of each caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.