Remington 700 Long Range 7mm Remington Magnum issues I

Generally, factory rifle manufactures tell you to use quality factory ammo. I'd buy a box and see what happens. If it doesn't work right, send it back. The sooner the better. Sure there's some aggravation in waiting but I'm not sure it's more aggravation than 50 trips to the range and then sending it back or off to a gunsmith. Returning guns to Remington is becoming part of the Remington experience but it'll probably be fixed when you own it the second time.

It don't get no simpler than that.

I really believe over the last few years since the "crisis" started gun companies have been just churning stuff out and QC has taken a back seat to shipping orders. Maybe the internet just lets us hear about people's complaints more but I swear I've had more issues the last 3 years than the prior 20.

davkrat, correct. the problem is also the consumer. Not willing to pay for quality. savage, hawa, tekka etc. prime example. There are more crappy gun shops selling crappy product. than ever before. selling plastic & pot metal products for 10% over cost. yealding a gross sales on a bolt action rifle for $ 350.00 I guess we get what we ask for. and at times it may shoot good or even function but still holding a piece of crap in out hands and loving it. ??????????????????

Truthfully I think most "hunters" are happy if they can spend $300 on a gun and hit a car door at 100 yards. That's the way it is in CA at a public range anyways. It's a little funny and a little scary at the same time.

Truthfully I think most "hunters" are happy if they can spend $300 on a gun and hit a car door at 100 yards. That's the way it is in CA at a public range anyways. It's a little funny and a little scary at the same time.
That's how majority of hunters here in Alabama are. If their gun shoots MOP (Minute Of Pie-plate) then they're happy. I'm too OCD for that. Even my "Inside of 500" deer rifle, has to shoot close to 1/2 MOA, or I'm not as confident in my weapon as I should be.

davkrat, correct. the problem is also the consumer. Not willing to pay for quality. savage, hawa, tekka etc. prime example. There are more crappy gun shops selling crappy product. than ever before. selling plastic & pot metal products for 10% over cost. yealding a gross sales on a bolt action rifle for $ 350.00 I guess we get what we ask for. and at times it may shoot good or even function but still holding a piece of crap in out hands and loving it. ??????????????????

I'll put my factory tikka t3 light against any Remington on the shelf regardless of price and it will out shoot it.

I'll put my factory tikka t3 light against any Remington on the shelf regardless of price and it will out shoot it.
Does your factory Tikka T3 Light shoot .25 MOA or better? My factory 700 5R Milspec .308 does... :cool:

Not trying to take away from your Tikka, they are fine rifles...But that is kind of a dumb comment. Every manufacturer has rifles that shoot and rifles that don't. Every manufacturer produces lemons. So, it's kind of dumb to lump one whole brand in because of a few lemons...

Does your factory Tikka T3 Light shoot .25 MOA or better? My factory 700 5R Milspec .308 does... :cool:

Not trying to take away from your Tikka, they are fine rifles...But that is kind of a dumb comment. Every manufacturer has rifles that shoot and rifles that don't. Every manufacturer produces lemons. So, it's kind of dumb to lump one whole brand in because of a few lemons...

Shoots .212 off a bipod with NO SANDBAGS! My buddy has the exact tikka t3 in 308 I have and his shoots .211. We don't use led sleds because we like to see what we can do with the guns anyone can put a gun in a sled and make it shoot when there is zero human error involved.

Joe ! Joe ! Joe ! with a handle of 1044 must mean that your in gun sales. So let me help you with your Remington sales. ( Center axis lathe turned). same as all the high end benchrest aftermarket actions. the remington design and its footprint is the most winning action ever made. more records have been made, set, held, and broken with this footpring than any other action design in the world. Not desputable. facts, knowing the facts. I have a little old factory 722 remington chambered in 222 with a stupid old long junk 15 power scope with a goofy spring on it. it shoots ok. I'll take your bet. You dont have anything to worry about. it only shoots a .110 5 shot and it was made by remington perhaps before you were born.

I don't know why 1044 tells you I'm in gun sells that had nothing to do with why I picked those numbers but great guess. We aren't talking about Remington's that you can't buy anymore I have a 700 bdl from 1969 that shoots like a dream we are talking about guns off the self today. You called tikka and savage cheap guns in my job the most sent back gun for repair is Remington followed by marlin which they own! So I appreciate the offer to help with my Remington sales but I like my customers to actually get to keep and use their guns not send them back to the factory. Like I said I would put my t3 against any Remington you can buy on a self at a sporting goods store today.

Ps Remington actions were the best but the other fact that is becoming true is more and more gunsmiths at least in my area are moving away from Remington actions and moving to sako actions which happen to be the people who make tikka.

Shoots .212 off a bipod with NO SANDBAGS! My buddy has the exact tikka t3 in 308 I have and his shoots .211. We don't use led sleds because we like to see what we can do with the guns anyone can put a gun in a sled and make it shoot when there is zero human error involved.
No, you can weld a *** gun that won't shoot to the bench and fire it remotely and it will still be a *** gun that won't shoot.

I shoot off home made sandbags or bipods, I don't own a leadsled or any accuracy enhancing devices. I think it's funny you think other people who shoot groups like that need external help... You are wrong. But your attitude shows your ignorance, whether you like it, or not.

I shoot off home made sandbags or bipods, I don't own a leadsled or any accuracy enhancing devices. I think it's funny you think other people who shoot groups like that need external help... You are wrong. But your attitude shows your ignorance, whether you like it, or not.

no i wasnt assuming I was saying I dont because for whatever reason whenever someone asks me how my firearms shoot and I show them they instantly say thats good for a lead sled its just easier to lay it out in the beginning that I dont use them.

This is an update to my original post.

I fired my first F Open 1000 yard match with this rifle without any glitches. After talking with Paul at Sierra last week, he diagnosed that the once fired brass that I had used in my initial loads was old and had lost elasticity. This was brass that I had purchased.

At my match, I used the following recipe without any glitches :
new Hornady brass
CCI magnum large rifle primers
Sierra 168 MatchKings
65.4 gr of IMR7828

This load has to be tweaked, but functioned flawlessly. I didn't experience any difficulties extracting spent cartridges. Almost all shots were on paper, with the few misses (4) being either lost getting on paper, or fatigue on my part. For a 60 shot for record match with unlimited sighters,I consider this to be acceptable performance.

Thank you to all that shared their experience to help trying to resolve my issue.

gun)

This is an update to my original post.

I fired my first F Open 1000 yard match with this rifle without any glitches. After talking with Paul at Sierra last week, he diagnosed that the once fired brass that I had used in my initial loads was old and had lost elasticity. This was brass that I had purchased.

At my match, I used the following recipe without any glitches :
new Hornady brass
CCI magnum large rifle primers
Sierra 168 MatchKings
65.4 gr of IMR7828

This load has to be tweaked, but functioned flawlessly. I didn't experience any difficulties extracting spent cartridges. Almost all shots were on paper, with the few misses (4) being either lost getting on paper, or fatigue on my part. For a 60 shot for record match with unlimited sighters,I consider this to be acceptable performance.

Thank you to all that shared their experience to help trying to resolve my issue.

gun)

Thanks for the update. Glad to know you had it all ironed out.

Happy safe shooting/hunting.

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts