7mm Remington Magnum VS .308 for Long Range Hunting

I started hunting mule deer in new area on public land a couple years ago. It's high desert rolling hills, frequent high winds, and very little cover. The deer are very educated and shots never seem to present themselves closer than 350 yards. I have been using my AR10 variant DPMS G2 .308 with a 20 inch barrel with a Vortex 2.5-10 HD scope.

Last year I lost a shot because I could not make out the forks on a young buck through my scope or Leupold 10X Gold Ring binoculars so higher powered optics are definitely needed. I have been researching calibers with higher BC and velocity such as the 6.5 Remington, 6.5-284, .280 Remington and 7mm Remington magnum. I don't appreciate the recoil on lightweight hunting rifles in 300 Win Mag or higher.

Today I found a near new pre-accutrigger Savage 111 synthetic stock in 7mm Remington Magnum with a 9.5 rate of twist 24 inch barrel for $279 at a local shop. I will reload for whatever caliber I end up with. Will the improved ballistics make this a worthwhile purchase?

This is the terrain I will be hunting.

nfmq2h.jpg

7mm rem mag will love that ground.
Mine is a sendero it's a good weight and shoots well. The recoil is fine with no brake or suppressor. The 162 amax is a popular go to projectile. Mine is 1:9.25 just check your 9.5 twist will stabilise it. 9 twist is preferred. A good powder is h1000.

My Savage 111s are great rifles.
By all means get one in 7 Mag.
You might find it to be only a couple of ounces heavier than the G2.

I am a huge fan of both cartridges...That being said, there is truly no way to compare them, they are just two completely different animals...Especially once you factor-in the 2 different rifle platforms (gas op. semi-auto vs. bolt-action) The .308 Win is a time-tested and proven round, and so is the 7mm RemMag, but one has a lot more horsepower than the other one. If you want flat-shooting and velocity, then the 7mmRM with some Berger 168 VLD's will be a good option for you. I have been shooting both the .308 Win and 7mm RemMag for going on 15 years. I think you will enjoy the 7mmRM.

I have Savage rifles in both .308 and 7 Rem Mag.
My Savage in 7RM shoots just under 1/2 MOA if I do my part while shooting both 160 Partitions and 150 Nosler Ballistic tips. I have the same twist as the one you're looking at - 9.5".

I use IMR4831 for the ballistic tips and H1000 for the partitions. I don't remember the exact weight for each powder, but it's towards the upper recommended limits for each powder/bullet combination.

I also shoot the 168 VLD (hunting), but I haven't got it dialed in just yet.

I love the 7RM! It's flat shooting and mild recoiling.

Let us know what you decide.

The .308 vs. 7RM is like a 71 Lincoln Continental to a 71 Mach 1 Mustang.

Both will get you there, but in very different ways.

The .308 will be slower, but a more comfortable ride.
The 7RM will be a bit rough and louder, but you will get there faster, meaning less drift, and harder hitting.

You should be able to shoot a 7mm 168 Berger HVLD @ around 2950-3000 fairly easily.

That type of terrain begs for high BC, high velocity rounds.

I have several friends who shoot the 7mm RM with 168 Berger VLD and the ClassicHunter bullets with H1000. They all have killed lots of mule deer and elk. However, they are 1:9.25 twist 24 and 26" barrels. I know the VLD shoots well in them but the Classic Hunter is more suited for the 1:9.5 twist. Perhaps some who have shot the 168 VLD's in a 1:9.5 twist can help with input. You'll like the 7mm RM a lot. Good luck

That 111 in a 7mm Rem Mag is a great budget rifle, that can be made into an awesome shooter. The 7mm in my mind is a superior round. It's faster, flatter, and the 7mm bullets typically will have better BC's. I personally have Savage 111 7mm Rem Mag, and I love it. You can pretty much plan on throwing the stock away though. It's flimsy and basically just junk if you ask me. Like you I originally had a 2.5-10x44 Vortex, and found quickly that it just didn't have the magnification for longer shots. I took it off and put it on my coyote rifle, and upgraded to a 4-16x44 Vortex Viper HST. I also added a Rifle Basix Sav-2 Trigger, and recently a new stock. I'm not a rich man by any means, but this rifle didn't break the bank. In my opinion, you could pick up the 111 7mm Rem Mag and add the following and be very happy:
Good scope (something that will magnify to 16 or 20 power)
Good scope mounts and a good picatinny rail (0 moa or 20 moa)
Good trigger (something in the 1-2 lbs range, but some love the accutrigger, so this is optional)
Good stock (plus a good pillar and bedding job)
And load up a 160+ gr round for it (I've had excellent results with the load in my signature)

Good luck.

Edit: And if you ever get the itch to hunt elk, you're good to go. Not that a .308 won't kill elk, but it's limited to 400-500 yards. The 7mm Rem Mag will extend your effective range on elk to 800-900 yards.

Here is a picture of my 111 7mm Rem Mag.

Last edited:
I don't appreciate the recoil on lightweight hunting rifles in 300 Win Mag or higher.

Today I found a near new pre-accutrigger Savage 111 synthetic stock in 7mm Remington Magnum with a 9.5 rate of twist 24 inch barrel for $279 at a local shop. I will reload for whatever caliber I end up with. Will the improved ballistics make this a worthwhile purchase?

My Savage 111s are great rifles.
By all means get one in 7 Mag.

+1 on what tbrice said.

I have a Savage 111F in .300 WM that I purchased in 1991 and I hunted with it in AZ, NM, and now in MT. I didn't put a muzzle until 2004; the Holland QD MB makes the felt recoil comparable to that of a .243s. The only other upgrade I did was a RB trigger, also in 2004.

This rifle was my go to rifle for awhile and has attributed most of my wild game harvests, mostly deer (WT and muleys) and antelope. The pix below was taken with 178 A-MAx at 368 yards (*).

1024091042b.jpg

Good luck and happy safe hunting/shooting.

Cheers!

Ed

I started hunting mule deer in new area on public land a couple years ago. It's high desert rolling hills, frequent high winds, and very little cover. The deer are very educated and shots never seem to present themselves closer than 350 yards. I have been using my AR10 variant DPMS G2 .308 with a 20 inch barrel with a Vortex 2.5-10 HD scope.

Last year I lost a shot because I could not make out the forks on a young buck through my scope or Leupold 10X Gold Ring binoculars so higher powered optics are definitely needed. I have been researching calibers with higher BC and velocity such as the 6.5 Remington, 6.5-284, .280 Remington and 7mm Remington magnum. I don't appreciate the recoil on lightweight hunting rifles in 300 Win Mag or higher.

This is the terrain I will be hunting.

nfmq2h.jpg
I'd say you're thinking along smart lines here but at 7mm RM speeds I would want probably no slower than a 1:9 twist if you want to shoot the heavy for caliber bullets or if you have to shoot monometal non lead which is almost certainly where we'll all be for hunting and shooting on federal land sooner rather than later.

Up to the 180's you're probably going to be ok but I'd definitely look at the mfg's recommendations on twist rates for your bullet of choice before diving in.

I shoot two different sporter weight 300wm's and one 300Rum in Model 70 Stainless Classics and even pushing 180-210gr bullets they are completely tolerable with either a brake or suppressor.

From your picture it appears you are shooting suppressed so let me caution you to check with your suppressor maker and be sure it is rated for magnum cartriges before doing so.

As for optics you can save a whole lot of trouble going with something like the Lueopod VX6 4-24x52. Plenty of magnification, saving the need for carrying a spotter, reasonable weight and great glass.

I picked up the rifle a few days ago for $279 out the door. Its almost new, no wear on the bolt lugs or interior of the receiver. I just ordered a new Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 with mildot reticle. I was looking for a little less magnification on the low end but I ended up paying $279 for that as well. The price was too good to pass up. I found that brass is running about $1 each But I found 5 boxes of 175 grain Federal Fusions for $99 so I will shoot through that and have my brass for reloading.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.