7mm Remington Magnum vs 7mm Weatherby Magnum

Greg Duerr

I have been hearing a lot of good things about the Weatherby Rifles, Vanguard S2 and the Mark V I also noticed that it appears that you can load the 7mm Weatherby a lot faster than the Remington.

For those who know, what performance are you getting out of your 7mm Weatherby Mag that you cant get out of a 7mm Remington Magnum or in your experience are they about the same........assuming that both are in a 26" Barrel

I own a lot of Weatherby rifles, but there's so little difference between the 7mm Wby and the 7mm Rem, I went with the Rem. Less costly rifle and brass, but negligible difference in performance. The Mark V in 7mm Wby is 1:10 unlike most 7mm Rem rifles are 1:9.25.

Part of the velocity difference is that fact that the Weatherby tests include the GINORMAS WEATHERBY FREEBORE. Throat a Weatherby case with a short throat and things equal out.

Also, if you have a CUSTOM WEATHERBY build by your favorite smith, make dam sure you know the freebore!! If he throats it for XYZ bullet ( ie, a short throat) at your request, the PSI will build FAST, and in my opinion, the Weatherby load data is all but useless, and I use the Rem load data.

That is just me.....consult your smith.

Tod

Don't waste your money on a Mark-V... If you're hellbent on Weatherby, buy a Vanguard. Been down the Mark-V road (Accumark), won't again. You can build a custom 7mm RemMag off a 700 with a high-quality aftermarket 1:8 twist barrel for much less (depending on parts, similar cost or less). Like was stated, in real-world head-to-head tests, negligible difference in performance between the 2 cartridges, and Weatherby brass costs significantly more, also it's not always available everywhere like 7mmRM brass and ammo is if you need it in a pinch. Also, Weatherby freebore is highly excessive, and I do not care for it at all.

Just my opinion.

Both are excellent rounds, but the choice is easy: 7mm Rem Mag

more rifles chambered in 7mm Rem Mag
ammo available at any Wal-Mart in the country
readily available brass
reloading components galore

If you want to step up to something bigger than the 7mm Rem Mag, look at the 28 Nosler or 7mm STW

The Mark V in 7mm Wby is 1:10 unlike most 7mm Rem rifles are 1:9.25.
This is the biggest difference. You can get up to 200fps more from the Weatherby, but for larger/longer bullets the twist rate holds you back with the Weatherby rifles. I have "more than one" 7mm Wby, and getting a 160 to work in some is a challenge. My 7mm Rem Sendero shoots the 168 Bergers with no problems though.

If they ever come out with an Accumark in 7mm Wby with a 1:9.25 barrel I'll be in line for one. Or, I'll someday make my own.

If you want a velocity boost from the rem mag I'd look at 28 Nosler, otherwise I'd stick with the rem mag. Brass and ammo everywhere, freebore isn't ridiculous, twist rates are better, etc.
The Nosler is a lot more powerful than the rem mag, throated long it can push 195 Bergers to 3150. If you don't need that much speed (as most dont) the rem mag will suit you just fine and save you some money I'm the brass department.

This is the biggest difference. You can get up to 200fps more from the Weatherby, but for larger/longer bullets the twist rate holds you back with the Weatherby rifles. I have "more than one" 7mm Wby, and getting a 160 to work in some is a challenge. My 7mm Rem Sendero shoots the 168 Bergers with no problems though.

If they ever come out with an Accumark in 7mm Wby with a 1:9.25 barrel I'll be in line for one. Or, I'll someday make my own.

The 1/2 inch twist difference has almost zero to do with the 200 fps difference.

Do the 9 1/2 twist 30 and 338 caliber guys loose 200 fps to the 10 twist guys?

Do the 7 1/2 twist 22 and 6mm guys loose 200 fps to the 8 twist guys?

Does the 8 twist 6.5 mm guys loose 2.. fps to the 8 1/2 twist guy?

No, NO, and lastly, no.

Tod

Read my response again. I never said that twist rate had anything to do with speed. You made some assUmption.

This is a long range site, and longer ranges tend to mean longer/heavier bullets and higher BCs.
Faster twists stabilize linger/heavier bullets better, and as such the Weatherby does not do as well. Many 1:9.25 twist 7mm rifles shoot the 168s and 180s with no problems. The 1:10 Weatherby can have problems at >160 grains with some bullets due to the twist rate when compared to the faster-twist Remington's.

Read my response again. I never said that twist rate had anything to do with speed. You made some assUmption.

This is a long range site, and longer ranges tend to mean longer/heavier bullets and higher BCs.
Faster twists stabilize linger/heavier bullets better, and as such the Weatherby does not do as well. Many 1:9.25 twist 7mm rifles shoot the 168s and 180s with no problems. The 1:10 Weatherby can have problems at >160 grains with some bullets due to the twist rate when compared to the faster-twist Remington's.

Dosh said this:
The Mark V in 7mm Wby is 1:10 unlike most 7mm Rem rifles are 1:9.25.

You said this:
"This is the biggest difference"

Which is true when it comes to long range hunting/shooting as I've now said twice.
You then somehow connected that to speed...?
Whatever.

Did you not read the OP? His entire point of this thread was that the Weatherby is faster......"a lot faster"...his only concern was speed. THAT is how I connected it to speed, along with your 200 FPS comment.

Dosh brought up twist rates being different between REM and WBY, in which you responded that "this was the biggest difference"...and then added the 200 fps thing....which to me reads that you are saying that the slower twist bbl aids in the faster FPS thing.

My response was that the 1/2 inch twist has very little effect on speed.

If I am missing something? Am I reading something that isn't there? Please point it out to me.

You are 100% correct....a 1-10 twist would definitely hinder the use of the 180 - 195 class bullets, which is a BIG reason to go with the REM.

IDUNNO...Maybe I am the only one who doesn't get it.:confused:

Tod

4x, my reply was perhaps confusing. I should have included the 1:10 in the Mark V could hinder the use of heavier bullets. Many of my friends and I have great groups in the 1:9.25 twist 7mm Rems loaded with the 168 Bergers.
Good luck to the OP with which ever your choice.