7mm rem mag for long range hunting?

matt_3479

I was debating on buying a new gun for long range hunting on whitetails and moose. Most shots stay within 600 yards but have had shot opportunities out too 800 before. I currently own a 300. wsm and love it but its a factory browning a-bolt. shoots great and its a great hunting rifle but its no 800 yard rifle. Now i love the the 300 caliber but the browning is limited to after market parts as well as gun smiths that are willing to work on them so im pretty much stuck as a 600 yard and closer hunt. I already own a 7mm rem mag in a remington BDL that is a shooter. I was thinking i might as well take it and run with it. I know it doesn't make sense to down size in caliber but i already own one. what is your opinion

I was debating on buying a new gun for long range hunting on whitetails and moose. Most shots stay within 600 yards but have had shot opportunities out too 800 before. I currently own a 300. wsm and love it but its a factory browning a-bolt. shoots great and its a great hunting rifle but its no 800 yard rifle. Now i love the the 300 caliber but the browning is limited to after market parts as well as gun smiths that are willing to work on them so im pretty much stuck as a 600 yard and closer hunt. I already own a 7mm rem mag in a remington BDL that is a shooter. I was thinking i might as well take it and run with it. I know it doesn't make sense to down size in caliber but i already own one. what is your opinion
With the bullets available today, if you can shoot the thing sub MOA consistently and with confidence you have all you need already.

It's a bit on the light side for Moose at 800, but if you put it in the right spot they'll be just as dead as if you hit them with a .50 cal.

I've killed hogs over 600lbs at those ranges with both my 7 mag and 7stw and I only shoot the 140-162gr bullets in both, and anyone who's ever skinned a big boar and seen the 1.5-4" cartilage armor they have from behind the shoulders up under the chest and around to the opposite side can attest to just how hard they are to put down so I'd say you are good to go, espectially with the heavier scirocco and other high BC hunting bullets.

I know this browning will hold moa or better out too 600 yards and will hopefully get the chance in the next few weeks to take it out too 800 yards. If it holds moa at least and hopefully a little better, are you saying it would be fine to just use that? I love the gun, its the perfect light weight carry around rifle. its topped off with Vortex viper pst shooting 180 accubonds but might try the 185 VLD's

I dont believe that I would be shooting a moose with your 7mm mag out at 800 yards but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot whitetail out that far with it at all. I don't even think that I would shoot a moose with a 300 wsm at 800 yards. A .338 magnum caliber rifle yes...but not the two above. Those "meese" are some strong critters :p

First off the 7mm Rem Mag will most likely hit harder at 800 than the 300 WSM. Why? the 300 is bigger? yeah. but the 7mm has a way better BC. It retains energy and hits harder at longer ranges. If you reload your 7mm with a 180 VLD it will leave a 300 WSM in its tracks. Especially since they both start off at a similar velocity. That load is more than capable of killing anything in North America a lot farther than almost anybody has business shooting. If your 7mm is a shooter I say go for it. Being comfortable with your rifle and knowing you can make the shot is the most important aspect. :cool:

I was thinking of going with a 300. win mag compared to the wsm. Which the 7mm rem mag and the 300. win mag are similar in preformance but the 300 will leave a bigger hole

I wouldn't worry about the hole as much as the placement. Using either and a 180 7mm-185 300win VLD damage will be identical. Whichever one you know you can put into the bullseye on any shot is the gun you should take. Either will do the job perfectly. Matter of preference.

jonesse91

First off the 7mm Rem Mag will most likely hit harder at 800 than the 300 WSM. Why? the 300 is bigger? yeah. but the 7mm has a way better BC. It retains energy and hits harder at longer ranges.

I am sorry but I beg to differ. with handloads the 300 WSM will outpreform the 7mm Rem mag in energy, not by much, but it deffinatley will. If you load a 300 WSM with the same high quality, high b.c bullets, bigger is better... given similar velocities. not trying to start anything:). just sayin!:D

and YES the 7mm rem is deffinatly a great LR round! I wish I still had mine.

Go with the 7mm rifle using 168 or 180VLD's and put more velocity AND energy on your target= better killing ability. Don't forget a little less wind drift than the .30 cals too. The diameter of the bullet means little in comparison to the ballistic coefficient as far as "killing power."

I was thinking of going with a 300. win mag compared to the wsm. Which the 7mm rem mag and the 300. win mag are similar in preformance but the 300 will leave a bigger hole
The size of the exit wound is all about bullet selection and velocity.

The advantage of the 30's is heavier bullets at the same or higher velocities so with the same make of bullets they will give you better penetration.

Both shooting the 180 grain bullets with max loads.
7 mag 2830 fps 3202 ft/lbs .659 bc
800 yards 1837 fps 1848 ft/lbs top game weight 301 lbs.
300 wsm 3123 fps 3900 ft/lbs .474 bc
800 yards 1719 fps 1181 ft/lbs top game weight 247 lbs
nither one good at this range for bigger than deer.

Last edited:
Im not trying to pick sides without having my palm pilot in front of me with exball but yes the 300 win might be able to launch the same size bullet faster but I've never seen a 180gr. 30cal bullet with bc's that are the same as the .284 180gr. So it may out run it at 800 even with energy if it slows down enough more than the 7rem

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.