7mm rem mag for long range hunting?

ok, thanks. did u try any other ammo in your sendero and if so how did they shoot?
thanks

I started with some 150gr. Federal Premium Sierra BT that shot around 1 MOA, never really measured it. Then I was learnign to reload and loaded some 162gr Hornady Interlock's. They shot a little better than the 150's. In the defense of the 162's, I didn't have a new trigger, as good of glass, or an adjustable cheek piece when I shot them, nor did I know much about reloading. Then I loaded some 168 Berger VLD's. They shot about .6 MOA. I never got those out past a couple hundred though. Then I started loading the 180's after I got all the above listed upgrades including a brake installed. I could only get my best group to 5/8" at 100yds. Was kinda discourage, I thought I could do better than that. Then after reading a lot about heavy bullets, I went out to 200yds and had touching bullets, then had 1 3/4" groups at 400, then at 686yds I measured out my best group to .42 MOA and my worst at .54 MOA. The gun shot really well.

I don't think you can go wrong with the 168's or 180's. The 162's Hornady's killed a few deer along the way too. I am gonna see how the 180's do on some muley's, antelope, and hopefully if I am lucky enough, an elk here in the next couple weeks.

I went back and read your original post again. That BDL you have should be a good gun. Be a pretty easy semi custom to make if you wanted also. I guess the things I like about the 7RM and I will even throw int he 300WM in this group as they are closely related although some differences. They are fairly cost efficient to shoot, meaning brass is not as much as the big magnums, it doesn't take as much powder. Also, for what it's worth, I am able to take those long ole 180 Hybrids and seat them .01 off my lands and still fit them in the magazine.

With all that said, that 300WSM is a good gun too. hahahaha

My Rem 700 Stock 24 inch barreled gun with my custom hand reloads.

1st is 600 yard target:D
and 900 yard 2nd gun)

Happy Hunting Ans Shooting

Attachments

• IMG_1491.jpg
    IMG_1491.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1930.jpg
    IMG_1930.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 99
I'm often suprised on here. I get the bigger is better theory, but I don't get where people think you need over 1800ft/lbs of energy to kill something over 300lbs.

I belive 1200ft/lbs and a well constructed bullet is fine for deer, and the same rules at 1500ft/lbs for elk. If you wonder if your set-up is accetable, I would run a ballistic program using your velocity and bullet data and see what range you top out at your limit for ft/lbs.

Yes I get tha a 300lb hog is tougher than a 300lb deer, so set your own limits.

PS Any 168berger launched at 2900fps with reasonable accuracy will do the job on impact for deer/elk to 800yds, at the elevation most of them live anyway. The higher you go the faster those bullets will slice through the air.

Hate to say it man but if you have eliminated shooter error and the best the gun will do with multiple factory ammo is 4+" at 100 then it sounds like you have a serious rifle issue. You can try a different factor load (and you never know, it may work) but I think it would be a waist of more money.

hi bravo
i sent my rifle for repair to remmington and they r replacing it, kinda makes me feel good knowing that i haven't lost my ability to shoot and know it is the rifle.lol

hi bravo
i sent my rifle for repair to remmington and they r replacing it, kinda makes me feel good knowing that i haven't lost my ability to shoot and know it is the rifle.lol

Good to hear. The last rifle I had that had Remington's name on it had horrible accuracy and they said it was acceptable. Glad you are being taken care of.

Good to hear. The last rifle I had that had Remington's name on it had horrible accuracy and they said it was acceptable. Glad you are being taken care of.
I had the same problem with one that I sent back 4 different times.

I didn't buy another Remington for 20 years. Really burnt my biscuits.

Maybe enough people did the same and they finally learned their lesson.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.