Remington 700: Long Range v. Sendero

atblis

I was thinking about this, why does the Sendero command such a premium? MSRP on the Long Range is almost $600 less

Action is the same. Yes?
I don't see anything indicating the barrel is any better on the Sendero (5R or anything like that)
I think the M40 stock is a better stock. Admittedly that's subjective. HS Precision v. BC, which in my experience are about equal quality.
Fluting, meh. Looks cool, but...

The price difference pretty much covers having a barrel of your choosing put on. If you go carbon steel on the LR, the price difference open up even more.

The Sendero is hand selected, action, barrel and stock. More attention is given to the Sendero prior to and during assembly.
They are a premium, whereas the LR is only a step up from the SPS. No great attention to detail is taken.
I have both, both in 300WM, the Sendero shoots tighter groups longer.
I'm not saying one is better in accuracy, but attention to detail is higher in the Sendero.
Differences are fitting, bolt jewelling and magazine follower in the Sendero is machined stainless casting, whereas the LR has a pressed metal follower.

I am seriously thinking of selling my LR, it is barely broken in. I definitely prefer the HS stock over the B&C.

Cheers.

I have both.The Sendero is more like the BDL grade were the Long Range is more like the SPS grade.Both can be equally accurate,but I'd bet the Sendero has a higher percentage of having the best accuracy.I had a 30-06 Long Range that was not so good.Sent it back under warranty.Five months later I got it back.They replaced the barrel and receiver.It shot a little better,but not that great.Rebored it to a 338-06 and it shoots really great now.I have a Long Range Stainless Steel model in a 7mag that is really a good shooter.Both my Senderos,one in a 7mag and one in a 7STW shoot great.As for stocks,I do like the B&C M40 stock the best.

Interesting, so the Sendero is almost a semi custom shop gun. It's curious that Remington isn't explicit about the barrel being different.

I am not in the market. I bought a LR in 300 RUM a year ago. Didn't expect much, but it exceeded my expectations. Barrel lasted about 550 rounds. Now has another barrel. Have another 300 RUM that has what is likely a takeoff barrel from a LR (started life as a bare action). It shoots just as well.

Having a hard time believing Remington is using special barrels on the Senderos. They'd say so in the description.

No one said special barrels were used...hand selected air gauged barrels are used on all Senderos. Same was true on the VSSF II's.
So...only carefully scrutinised actions, stocks and barrels that are holding very tight tolerances are used. The custom shop does the same, the 5R, Tactical, AWR & Police all get special attention when selecting the parts.

This is why those guns shoot so well straight outta the box. I have never had a dud in a Premium Rem line, I have VSF, VSSF II 5R & Sendero. The 5R I have is a custom shop job with the AWR stock, factory muzzle brake in 300WM. A guy ordered it and never picked it up. I got it for less what he had paid on it...it was CHEAP! I am yet to fire this rifle.

Cheers.

Give me the Sendero any day over the LR even @ $600 difference.

Better stock in the HS
Better in tolerances in the barreled action

Having had an SPS for nearly 10 years I just upgraded it & bought a SFV & even the difference between the SPS & the SFV was very noticeable straight away.
The SPS had one of the sloppiest bolt movements I've ever had in any of my rifle.
The SFV is tight & silky smooth.

The only downside to the SFV is the stock but I upgraded it to a GRS Bifrost anyway.

Still a Sendero here is like $2900AU & the SFV was $1700AU, almost the same rifle but without the HS stock, my GRS stock cost me $800 so $400 went into better glass.

I got my MarkX trigger worked on by the smith & is now a crisp 1.75lb break, cost me $80, better than $200 for a new trigger but thats a personal thing.

When I was in the market for a 7RM I handled both and it's pretty obvious the Sendero was put together with better tolerances. Sendero and it's not close.

Its heavy to me but that's it. Shoots the heavier 175 grs very well.

Can't speak to Remingtons as not a remmy guy. I can speak to the bc vs hs. HS is significantly better than my bc stocks. The fit and finish is better. HS does not have a plastic feel. I have several aftermarket and factory supplied examples of both.

I just bought 2 more Sendero II's, 1 is a 7RM which is getting re-barreled to 264WM while the 7 factory barrel is getting reamed to 7STW.
The other Sendero II is a 300WM. $2825 is what each cost. Both will wear Zerotech 4.5-27x50 R3 scopes.
Both rifles will be switch barrels, just like 80% of all my rifles. We can have as many barrels as we want in our state, but limited to number of whole rifles.

Cheers.

I think it all depends on what you like and are willing to pay for. LR Remington's are not polished fluted or any of the nicer looking finish work that takes time and money plus the less expensive stock. If however you want and accurate hunting / bang it around in the woods or on a mountain, pretty is a distraction. I wouldn't carry a $3,000.00 Wilson 1911 on duty, if I get into a scrape with someone my focus does not need to be on protecting my pretty gun from getting scratched and dinged but my Glock, it doesn't matter if it gets a little road rash as it will sand right out and work just fine. No emotional loss. As much as I love the fine work of older Weatherby MKV high grade rifles or Colt Sauer's, I'm not taking one into an environment that will damage it. Point is that all of the LR rifles I have shot and sold shoot pretty good, I would definitely replace the trigger and verify contact areas especially the tang where good contact isn't always there so some bedding may be in order. My hunting buddies LR 30-06 shoot .5 groups at 100 and that's good enough in any hunting scenario. None of my opinion of the LR demeans the Sendero, it's just what means more to each individual. I would spend the extra $600.00 on better glass.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.