Rangefinder for winter coyote hunting

My test for a good range finder is how far can I range an atelope on flat terrain. My Sig Saur Kilo 2000 has worked very well for me in hilly terrain, but I couldn't range an antelope on flat land at around 200 -300 yards.

Yes the leica rangefinder Binos would be nice. But the price.....
Yep, nice stuff costs money. I had the original leicas, which can be had for a steal right now if you can find them, and they worked well, out to 1300 yards.
I have also owned the Leica 2200 B, they also worked well, until it got below 15°, and then they quit. I have owned aVector IV, worked awesome out to 5k, but were huge, heavy, and expensive. Easily the best rangefinder bino on the market, until you get into the bigger vectronix "Safran now" binos.
I currently own the latest zeiss victory RF, and couldnt be happier. If you are wanting a stand alone rangefinder, I would look at getting a terrapin, "not the terrapin x". I have owned them in the past, and for the used market price of $1k-1400, you will not find a better device. Rain, snow, and fog will shut down even the vector at some point. For the money, and what you are after, I think a gen 1 terrapin will be the route you may want to take.

Yep, nice stuff costs money. I had the original leicas, which can be had for a steal right now if you can find them, and they worked well, out to 1300 yards.
I have also owned the Leica 2200 B, they also worked well, until it got below 15°, and then they quit. I have owned aVector IV, worked awesome out to 5k, but were huge, heavy, and expensive. Easily the best rangefinder bino on the market, until you get into the bigger vectronix "Safran now" binos.
I currently own the latest zeiss victory RF, and couldnt be happier. If you are wanting a stand alone rangefinder, I would look at getting a terrapin, "not the terrapin x". I have owned them in the past, and for the used market price of $1k-1400, you will not find a better device. Rain, snow, and fog will shut down even the vector at some point. For the money, and what you are after, I think a gen 1 terrapin will be the route you may want to take.
I don't believe the Gen 1 Terrapin is still made is it? I can buy the Terrapin X up here in Canuckistan for $2500. According to the store that carries the new version they say all the bad press regarding warranty and repairs was for the original Terrapin not the X version.

I don't believe the Gen 1 Terrapin is still made is it? I can buy the Terrapin X up here in Canuckistan for $2500. According to the store that carries the new version they say all the bad press regarding warranty and repairs was for the original Terrapin not the X version.
Maybe I am mistaken, but, I believe safran would work on the terrapin as of late. I was not a fan of the terrapin x when I used one, neither was anyone else i knew that used one either. Actually the x model gave a resurgance to the original. How much is a set of used leica RF binos up there???

Maybe I am mistaken, but, I believe safran would work on the terrapin as of late. I was not a fan of the terrapin x when I used one, neither was anyone else i knew that used one either. Actually the x model gave a resurgance to the original. How much is a set of used leica RF binos up there???
The Geovid 3500 Binos are a $3900. What did you not like about the Terrapin X?

I bought a Leica 2800 and so far it works perfectly ranging on snow out to as far as I need to shoot. Very consistent out to 700 800 yards on a snow covered field in the sun. As far as the ballistics app goes I haven't got that quite figured out yet

Never had a problem with my Leica 1200 on snow, that said you must keep the two "eyes" in front very clean. No finger smudges of dust!!
Leica is more than fair with warranty, my 1200 finally gave up and they warranted it up to the 2700, I paid a difference in price but my 1200 was older and thought it was fair.
The 2700 works.great.on snow as well, not a lot of lasers will. My distances are generally going to.be under 600 yds.
I.have a.Sig Kilo 2000 but it.won't cut.it on snow landscapes.

I did have an issue this weekend that I have not resolved yet. As I have stated earlier I have a 2800.com paired with a Kestrel elite. It was cold and the battery on the Kestrel went down to 20% while I was hunting. It was sitting on a tripod with a wind vane. It was talking fine to the RF and displaying the solution in it. Then it quit. I know they are still paired because it was displaying the range and solution in the Kestrel, but not back to the RF. Rebooting did nothing. I am hoping the Kestrel just shutdown bluetooth out due to the low battery, but haven't replaced them to see. This has been a great combo until now, and I highly recommend it, I think!

I did have an issue this weekend that I have not resolved yet. As I have stated earlier I have a 2800.com paired with a Kestrel elite. It was cold and the battery on the Kestrel went down to 20% while I was hunting. It was sitting on a tripod with a wind vane. It was talking fine to the RF and displaying the solution in it. Then it quit. I know they are still paired because it was displaying the range and solution in the Kestrel, but not back to the RF. Rebooting did nothing. I am hoping the Kestrel just shutdown bluetooth out due to the low battery, but haven't replaced them to see. This has been a great combo until now, and I highly recommend it, I think!
I should have my kestrel 5700 elite in the mail tomorrow and also plan on pairing with the 2800 so hopefully it works reliably. That being said I have the come ups in the rangefinder matching StrelokPro and so far the Leica ballistics work very well out to 650 yards As that's as far as I have tried it so far.Paired with a kestrel 5700 should be excellent.

Never had a problem with my Leica 1200 on snow, that said you must keep the two "eyes" in front very clean. No finger smudges of dust!!
Leica is more than fair with warranty, my 1200 finally gave up and they warranted it up to the 2700, I paid a difference in price but my 1200 was older and thought it was fair.
The 2700 works.great.on snow as well, not a lot of lasers will. My distances are generally going to.be under 600 yds.
I.have a.Sig Kilo 2000 but it.won't cut.it on snow landscapes.
Maybe dirty lenses were part of the problem on my Leica 1000. I honestly never cleaned them.

oh to be young and fully comprehend the complexities of technology. I applaud you, take every advantage. As far as your issue I'm betting a battery issue. Cold weather eats battery life.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.