Rangefinder for winter coyote hunting

Jayjoe

I have a Leica 1000 that I have been using for a few years coyote hunting and I do most of my coyote hunting during winter and longish ( 200 to 700 yards) ranges. Well the leica 1000 doesn't cut it when ranging coyotes at long range when they are in fields or on hillsides that are covered in snow. Anyone have any experience with the leica 2800 or 3500 coyote hunting in winter? I was thinking on buying a Terrapin X but read some bad reviews regarding customer service and warranty.

buddy of mine picked up a CRF2700 Leica and brought it on a recent hunt and I was real impressed with it. No doubt in my mind that it could handle ranging a coyote to the ranges that you're looking at.

I'm going to use my G7 in the morning.
I have two yotes that's been hanging around in the back yard. Found out last night they got the neighbors three dogs the other day.
It's all out War on them now . I have been seeing them at the crack of dawn almost everyday .
I'm going to fire up the 300 Rum and some 230 bergers ...not messing around with the 22-250 right now .

Rum Man

What do they do on a reflective back ground of snow ? non of the ones I have used do very well with snowy conditions .

What do they do on a reflective back ground of snow ? non of the ones I have used do very well with snowy conditions .
This is the main problem. Finding a Rangefinder that will work when there's snow on the ground. My 1000 works fine in summer. Trying to range a coyote in an open field with snow on the ground is a different story.

I have a Leica 1000 that I have been using for a few years coyote hunting and I do most of my coyote hunting during winter and longish ( 200 to 700 yards) ranges. Well the leica 1000 doesn't cut it when ranging coyotes at long range when they are in fields or on hillsides that are covered in snow. Anyone have any experience with the leica 2800 or 3500 coyote hunting in winter? I was thinking on buying a Terrapin X but read some bad reviews regarding customer service and warranty.
I recently (last year) replaced my 1600B with a 2800.com. Leica has a very narrow beam and works well for smaller targets. Great glass. So good I usually get lazy deer hunting and leave the Binos at home. All that being said, I still cannot honestly answer your question. Never remember ranging a coyote when actually hunting them. We call them close and use .17's. I have shot a few at long range hunting other stuff that I ranged. I ranged one last year a little over 900 deer hunting, but I squeaked at him a few times and shot him at about 50yds. The 2800 ranged him fine, but it was a little above freezing and no snow. That's what I DO KNOW, which ain't much, but better than nothing.

This is the main problem. Finding a Rangefinder that will work when there's snow on the ground. My 1000 works fine in summer. Trying to range a coyote in an open field with snow on the ground is a different story.
They ain't worth a flip when its raining either.

They ain't worth a flip when its raining either.
I know the Terrapin X works well on snow and I would buy one today if it wasn't for the stories I've heard about warranty issues. Not sure if the problems were just for the older model or the newer one also . The Leica 2800 or 3500 would most likely work as well I would think. In my parts it's mostly long shots that are needed so being able to range on snow is handy to say the least. My 1000 will sometimes work but more often than not it won't on Snow even with a brand new battery.

I know the Terrapin X works well on snow and I would buy one today if it wasn't for the stories I've heard about warranty issues. Not sure if the problems were just for the older model or the newer one also . The Leica 2800 or 3500 would most likely work as well I would think. In my parts it's mostly long shots that are needed so being able to range on snow is handy to say the least. My 1000 will sometimes work but more often than not it won't on Snow even with a brand new battery.
I would look at the range finding binos. Having both capabilities in one hand will make life easier, especially while coyote hunting.

Last edited:
I do feel the 2800 is a better unit than the 1600b. Faster, further, and gets the same answer very often. The 3500 has an even stronger laser i am told which may or may not help trying to range a nonreflective target on a reflective background. Never had a 1000

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.