Questions for the Chassis Gang

I love chassis on my comp rifles. But I definitely still prefer the feel of a stock on my hunting rifles. Chassis are much more versatile on what they can do, but theyre usually heavy and awkward to carry. My 2 chassis though are still more stock feeling than a traditional chassis. My 2 chassis are the MDT XRS and the MPA MatrixView attachment 381555View attachment 381556
Hi I'm an aussie shooter, I noticed your bullet holder on your stock & wondered where you got it..or did you make it? I have a 338 Edge savage action action sitting in a Mcmillan adjustable stock. My bullets are too long for the magazine so I single feed which isn't a real problem, but, having the convenience of an extra shot real handy appeals to me.. most of my shooting with this rifle is taking deer out 600 to 800 mts which is about the distance between the hills here...

Those are from Short Action Precision. I have them on my rifles also for matches.

MDT ACC.....took it to convince me....but at a HELLO of a price here in Canada @ 1899.00
But it can adjust Nine ways to Tuesday...takes an hour or two...but once it's dialed in...there's no going back! Try a good one...only way! Just like conventional stocks with no adjustment its hard to get a cheek weld for every shot or your grip to align a great trigger squeeze. Just me!

I've tried two full-size chassis and one mini; all were uncomfortable to carry. For hunting I much prefer my tuned Rem 700's. The mini-chassis does shoot very well on the bench, and is very capable and comfortable there. That's where the chassis belongs. Even on the bench, the chassis LR scores (600 yds) are only about 10% better than my stocked rifles.

Hi I'm an aussie shooter, I noticed your bullet holder on your stock & wondered where you got it..or did you make it? I have a 338 Edge savage action action sitting in a Mcmillan adjustable stock. My bullets are too long for the magazine so I single feed which isn't a real problem, but, having the convenience of an extra shot real handy appeals to me.. most of my shooting with this rifle is taking deer out 600 to 800 mts which is about the distance between the hills here...
As Rob said I get them from Short Action Precision. I tried the one the mpa one and hated the way it hooked to the chassis and couldn't get a good hold on it. This is just velcro that you stick to the side of your rifle

I've tried two full-size chassis and one mini; all were uncomfortable to carry. For hunting I much prefer my tuned Rem 700's. The mini-chassis does shoot very well on the bench, and is very capable and comfortable there. That's where the chassis belongs. Even on the bench, the chassis LR scores (600 yds) are only about 10% better than my stocked rifles.

Your not talking about the Manners mini chassis are you?

It's too bad that some people will read your post, and think you're right... and head down the chassis road.

Eventually, when they are outclassed by enough shooters, they'll start wondering if I was right and get a composite with a great bed job or a Foundation. They'll tire of a perpetually shifting zero. They'll tire of drastic POI shifts every time they abort the chassis to do some trigger maintenance. They'll get tired of first round shift, what is commonly referred to as "cold bore shift" but is mostly actually due to improper action to stock fitment. They'll tire of chasing that zero from season to season, from morning to afternoon.

Yet most won't even realize it's happening. They'll think it is them. They'll think they are just not doing something right, and that's why they're chasing a tenth of a mil every direction from POA all the time.

You clearly don't even know what I'm saying. 90% or more of precision rifle shooters will not ask any more than a chassis can produce. The rest will remember this thread as a monumental turning point in their shooting capability. They'll remember I helped them, and who cares if they remember you tried to hurt them? It's been happening like that my entire career. Every day I talk to someone that was mislead by people on forums. I give them advice on how to fix it, and then they circle back with all manner of praise and thanks. That's good enough for me! There's no changing anyone's mind here in anonymous land.

So go ahead and be happy with your bigger groups, farther from POA. I'm not stopping you. :)

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Greg, take your best shooting Foundation rifle and go shoot a 100 yard group for us. We know you like to make videos, so do this for us on video and make it so no one can dispute the authenticity of the video. No edits, just raw video. Camera on the shooter and the target. Show us what your absolutely best shooting Foundation stocked rifle will do. Measure the group size and start a thread for us. Make sure you have a good zero as POI/POA is part of your argument.

For the record, I have several Foundation (no bedding) stocks, and Manners too. I think they're both great. I have a few chassis rifles too. Some of them had to be bedded, some did not. They will all do the job. The BRA I shot last year never had no zero shift, and I check before every match, and it is in a bedded MPA chassis.

More PRS matches are won with chassis rifles every year than all other stocks combined, THAT is a fact.

I'm apprehensive of your motives, and there's a limit to how much more of this game I'm willing to participate in with you... but OK. I had a few minutes in between load work ups today, so I grabbed my 6mm dasher and shot 3 for you. My best shooting is my .20-223AI, and it absolutely will not perform in a 15mph+ wind we had today. Frankly I'm surprised I could pull this off with a 6mm. The wind was bad enough where the video was almost not usable, and I had to use post process stabilization to get it to work.

Previous video on the .20-223AI:

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

This morning at 5AM, first shots of the day. My .20cal tried to make me look bad. Its a colony varmint rig so I dev the load on a hot barrel... but it still normally doesn't string like this when its cold. Guess I need to clean it before it hits 600rnds since its last cleaning. The dasher is pushing over 2200rnds, but it is still hanging in there.

It was 80-something and windy yesterday. 55f and calm this morning.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

+1 for the Chassis. To be honest I am "new" to the chassis and I would say I really like both and for different reasons. Going to use the XLR Element 4.0 Magnesium (Viking Armament Branded) for a couple hunts this year. I have a little time behind it and so far really liking it.

I wanted to change out the McMillan Game Hunter stock for something with a little better ergonomics in regards to recoil management. The Monte Carlo style cheek is pretty comfortable for me but has a tendency for muzzle rise on recoil. Love the McMillan grip btw.

I considered a McMillan A3 & Manners EH type stocks even the new LRH, which I would really like to try on another build someday. Between the ever increasing lead times and feeling somewhat obligated to have it properly bedded I weighed out all the possible pro's & cons compared to the chassis and the chassis just penciled so I took the plunge!

Pro's:
-Better ergonomics & fit
-Arca rail & picatini
-Saved approximately .75 lb compared to the carbon stock + HS bottom metal/mag
-Folding stock, "compactness" for hunting scenarios
-No bedding required
-All around utility & customization
-Investment, will work on all other LA Rem actions in the future
-Added +.050" internal mag length vs HS Mag
-AICS mags
-Chassis package cost comes out the same if not less than a premium stock with bottom metal/mag & bedding work

Cons:
-Concern of the 100 yard zero impact shifting or loss of accuracy
-Different "feel"
-Greater felt recoil going lighter in overall weight

The Results: I have found no cons to date other than it just feels different, and I really like the feel! It even feeds more smoothly now.. With a few range days behind the gun. The first range day I did find that it took a couple groups to "settle". The first two groups were 1-1.5" @100 yards. I had the action bolts torqued to 55 in lb, shot a group then retorqued to the recommended 65 in lb. The bolts did not loosen after those initial two 3 shot groups. Interesting too, my zero at 100 yards did not change going from the McMillan to the XLR Chassis. Every group there on has been great without a point of impact shift at 100 yards. Since, every group has been sub .5" @100 yards with consecutive .3" groups on different days, and different temperatures (cool to hot). For the record it shot this well with the Carbon stock also. I'm pretty stoked to go stretch it out this week hopefully and see if I can spot impacts better. So far it is without a doubt easier to handle in the prone position even despite being lighter overall weight. The recoil comes straight back compared to my last stock that had a "buck" or noticeable muzzle rise. Since the XLR Element 4.0 Magnesium has the Carbon folder butt, I did notice the back end has a "light" feel. The bag rider attachment mitigates this big time. I would not run this chassis setup without that add on!

Also, this is a 10 lb even 338 Norma scoped, w/unloaded mag. 11 lbs even with the Atlas Bipod attached. It handles great for being on the lighter side of the spectrum and it has amazing utility! It feels like a tool now.

Hope this helps!! It's worth giving it a try and forming your own opinions.

Attachments

• 20220714_153446.jpg
    20220714_153446.jpg
    746.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220718_102748.jpg
    20220718_102748.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • 20220717_212828.jpg
    20220717_212828.jpg
    828.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20220717_213040.jpg
    20220717_213040.jpg
    798.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Currently with all the stock choices out there " one that shoots better than the others" is like if you were purchasing a computer. The devil is in the details most of the time (not all the time) a correctly bedded, stiff stock will typically shoot no matter what is material is used to build it. That becomes the issue what makes them stiff has weight to the material. Good stock makers balance these issues. Chassis do shoot as composites do shoot. Aluminum does expand and contact there are ways to partially mitigate the issue. Aluminum bedding blocks have been use for a long time. Again composite or chassis weight has a lot to do with what you hang on it. As demo by GreyFox earlier. MHO

Last edited:
I had the action bolts torqued to 55 in lb, shot a group then retorqued to the recommended 65 in lb. The bolts did not loosen after those initial two 3 shot groups. Interesting too, my zero at 100 yards did not change going from the McMillan to the XLR Chassis. Every group there on has been great without a point of impact shift at 100 yards. Since, every group has been sub .5" @100 yards with consecutive .3" groups on different days, and different temperatures (cool to hot).
Welcome to LRH. Great first post. I'd love to see that kind of performance on video, if you could manage a phonescope on a spotter or something of the sort?

I just haven't met too many guys that can consistently do 1/3 MOA accuracy and precision with a 338 of any variety, and would enjoy watching that happen.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Thanks Greg! I added a couple pics on that last post. They didn't upload for some reason.

I like to phone scope my long range days on steel to review. I'll see if I can upload a short one here this week 🤙🏽

Recent Posts