338 Big Baer, new addition to the gang.

trueblue

338BigBaer10.jpg

338BigBaer9.jpg

338BigBaer8.jpg

338BigBaer7.jpg

Here is my lastest addition. 338 Big Baer in a highly figured Bubinga stock. Started this build about 1 1/2 years ago. Since then I have had shoulder surgury, and my dog broke his leg, so it was nice to get some good news for a change.

The rifle was chambered by Bruce Baer, and the stock work was done by the man himself, Joel Russo.
Got it in the mail last night, so have not shot it yet. Joel sent a 3 shot target @300 yards of 1"
Here are the specs:
-Bat Model M 1.55 single shot action
-Bat 20 MOA rail
- Krieger 30" barrel 10 flutes with my personal contour
-Jewell bottom safety trigger
-Vais break
-Adj. cheek peice hardware
Rifle weighs 14.4# without optics. With a Nightforce on it it should be just under 17#.
I could not post a very big picture, so hopefully Joel can post a bigger pic so everyone can appreciate the workmanship of these guys.
Thanks for the beautiful rifle, Joel.
Edit: I figured out how to post a better picture, so here it is.

Last edited:
At your request Jim.

It was an absolute pleasure working with you, and thanks again for your patience...

Last edited:
Jim

Your rifle has my vote for the most awesome rifle posted on LRH.

Holy cow....Joel you are a visionary craftsman....what a stock.

Thank you for sharing, and look forward to hearing about how this rifle performs down the road for you.

Wish you and the dog luck on getting better gun)

i think my keyboard just short circuited... where did all this moisture come from????

Great looking rig. I love wood stocks and yours is absolutely gorgeous. No one makes them finer than Joel.

if I had a rig like that I dont think I could bring myself to shoot it... I would just have to build another I guess. But honestly, that is one of the most beautiful peices I have ever seen, and with all top notch no nonsense components. I love it.

I agree with what has been said. That rifle is almost too beautiful to shoot.... You better not scratch that thing, that would make the toughest gun enthusiast cry!!

What a beautiful rifle, the stock is stunning,congratulations to you and the people who put it together,it takes a fine eye to pick out stock blanks like that.

wow!!! So who picked out the wood? Did you find an absolute treasure, or did Joel? The stock is so beautiful that it almost looks like it was dipped to get the grain pattern.

Dang... I just noticed the stock has an action, barrel, and trigger!!!! :D

You should shoot it in every competition you can find. You are almost guaranteed to win every one because every shooter and spotter will be staring at your stock.

I agree with Oliveralan, I would be too scared to scratch it. I would only handle it with brushed cotton gloves.

Last edited:
As far as who picked out the wood blank, that would be Joel.
He sent me some pictures of some of the bubinga he had in stock. He told me he had 2 exceptional pieces, and I said " give me the one with the most figuring".
As far as the quality of the wood piece, I will let Joel comment on that.
I will say that pictures don't do this stock justice. When you see this stock in person the finish is so deep that you can look right down into the piece of wood. I don't know how many coats of finish are on this but it must be alot. Hopefully, Joel will elaborate on this as well.
This rifle will get used, and if it gets stratched, which I will try and avoid, I will have Joel refinish it. My moto, " No sense in shooting an ugly gun"

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.